still possible to get unlimited data AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by perezmarco, Feb 12, 2011.

1. perezmarco macrumors member

just yesterday i got a contract with AT&T and got the 2gb data plan.... I was wondering if there was still a way to get the unlimited data plan? i heard that you can activate the iphone 2g (1st gen), and recieve the unlimited data plan that it comes with, and then just grandfather ur way to the iPhone 4, 3g, 3gs//
    any of this true?? does it still work? if not, what does?

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How recent did you get contract? If very recent call them and tell them you want to cancel because Verizon is offering unltd data and you'll stay if they give you unltd data. Actually you should have done this?

3. perezmarco, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011

perezmarco thread starter macrumors member

I just got it yesterday. I came from Verizon. lol... Should I still call?

did you do this? and it worked? how long ago?

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Hmm not sure if I would do it now or the day before or on the day you're trial ends.

I never did it as I'm grandfathered into unltd data. But I like to 'wheel and deal' and I'm sure it would work.

Talk to retention dept.

'I would like to stay with AT&T but Verizon I'm able to get unltd data. Is there anything you can do in order for me to stay and not go to Verizon to get unltd data. I'm having 2nd thoughts about staying with AT&T because of not having unltd data like Verizon.'

Something like that.

5. perezmarco thread starter macrumors member

i just got off the phone ,, the rep didnt even care lol... how do i get to that department??? maybe i called the wrong one?

6. perezmarco thread starter macrumors member

let me try that.. thanks..

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm not sure if it's best to do that now or the day your trial end. Maybe someone else can chime in with a better approach. What I said is what I would do if I was in your situation.

Btw why did you switch from Verizon to AT&T?

8. perezmarco thread starter macrumors member

didnt work again.. dam...
    well i like to surf the web and talk at same time... i like gsm network....

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

AT&T discontinued unlimited data last summer. Why do you think you are so special that they would change their policy??? Everyone thinks they are above the rules.... :mad:

10. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Does it really matter to you? Who cares:confused:

If you can get it done.....more power to you....if not, 2GB isn't bad as long as your not streaming constantly.

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

2 GB plan is $5 cheaper too. Most people are probably using 1 GB or less per month.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Might be true as there is alot of wifi spots now a days.

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Never hurts to try to get a better deal. We all know cell companies make deals all the time.

14. Beezy macrumors regular

Well ATT are giving unlimited plans to folks that have had it in the past even if you don't currently have it. Thats one way. Another is to be grandfathered which I am! I have heard that you can still get an unlimited plan with a dumb phone. Get one and get the plan then buy the iPhone and keep the plan. Can't confirm that it works tho. I'd say if you already have the phone and the 2gb plan and never had unlimited, you are probably screwed.

15. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

So the internet rumours say. Has anyone actually gotten ATT to do it?

16. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

I see no point because when you purchase a 4G device they will put you back on the 2GB data limit. I think this was on Engadget a few days. Minds well stick with Verizon.

17. Beezy macrumors regular

For me it won't be sooner than a year and a half from now. Hell I may keep the 3G even longer. My speeds are adequate. I don't feel like I need more. A lot of things can change between now And then tho.

18. sbddude macrumors 6502a

The iphone 2G trick worked for me back in late december. I was a new customer, never had unlimited before.

19. perezmarco thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hey guys. It worked for me! I'll post how to do it in a bit since I'm on the iPhone 2g.

20. wolfgang2112 macrumors newbie

Let me know if you did the 2g data trick. I plan on doing this tomorrow and hoping it still works.

If anyone can answer....can I just pop the microsim out of my iphone4...modify it to make it fit in a wiped iphone 2g, hook it up to itunes, activate and thats it? or do I need a completely new sim for the 2g, activate it, then cut it to make it fit the iphone 4?

21. sbddude macrumors 6502a

When I did it, I used the microSIM. I taped it in place inside the iPhone 2G SIM tray.

22. wolfgang2112 macrumors newbie

had it been activated previously on the iphone 4? or was it before you even setup your new iphone 4?

23. sbddude macrumors 6502a

before I set up the iPhone 4. It was a refurb, and I used the SIM it came with.

24. mb25667 macrumors member

I had unlimited data since the original iphone...but this summer when they had plans that were 4$ cheaper (and i was living in an area with only EDGE and using Wifi...or just not using data because it was so ridiculously slow)...I switched down to the 2 gig plan.

Now I live in an area with 3G and I wish I had never downgraded. I started reading stories about people that used to have it being able to get it back since Verizon is offering unlimited data....so I decided to call up AT&T and try it.

I don't think I can get it back. I tried everything with the rep. I mentioned verizon's unlimited plan...asked what my incentive to stay with ATT was...told her I'm basically asking to pay AT&T MORE per month, even if I don't use 2 gigs. She wouldn't budge. I did everything except for being a douchebag. (I used to work in a call-center...after the way I was treated, I could never do that to other people)

She told me that the only way I could get unlimited back is if i was downgraded in error.

Eventually I talked, ********ted and pleaded long enough that she opened a case on my account, and somebody at a higher level than her is scheduled to call me the afternoon of the 17th to discuss it...but I don't have much hope.

If anybody truly did get it back by calling AT&T, I'd love to hear about it. But it seems like if it was happening, it's not happening any more.

25. nosser macrumors regular

This has been corrected from Att, they will let you keep your unlimited plan.