Still Possible to use iTunes Store in 10.6.3?

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
The title says it all - is the iTunes store still working for others in the last PPC version (10.6.3)? Been ages since I bought an album via iTunes, but a local group just released one and I wanted to buy it, but find the iTunes store nearly completely unusable now on my Powerbook. Are others still using this? Is there a workaround I'm not aware of?

Picture 1.png

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
It appears to be working fine for me.
Hmm, thanks for confirming. I reckon it must be something wrong with my setup then. My internet is currently out at home, so I'm tethered to the LTE on my phone, but I wouldn't expect that to cause any issues. Will try again though after the cable company comes back online.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
So, I kinda forgot about this issue until I went to use iTunes today, and strangely enough it is still happening. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to address it? I couldn't find anything about that error code by searching.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
Area 51
So, I kinda forgot about this issue until I went to use iTunes today, and strangely enough it is still happening. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to address it? I couldn't find anything about that error code by searching.
This is kinda off-topic, but what theme are you using on your PPC Macs? It looks like a El Capitan screenshot, but I see you still have TenFourFox.

z970mp

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2017
Digital Ocean
This is kinda off-topic, but what theme are you using on your PPC Macs? It looks like a El Capitan screenshot, but I see you still have TenFourFox.
I assume you meant for me?

LeopardRebirth. You can get the wallpapers from the complete collection thread we have here.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
Sorry for the bump, but how about now? Until a few weeks ago, the Store and iTunes Match were working fine on 10.6.3, and now when I go in, I get error -9836. It says an unknown error occurred in the iTunes Store.

Reactions: maverick28

z970mp

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2017
Digital Ocean
Sorry for the bump, but how about now? Until a few weeks ago, the Store and iTunes Match were working fine on 10.6.3, and now when I go in, I get error -9836. It says an unknown error occurred in the iTunes Store.
I can get in fine. Haven't tried buying anything, though.

retta283

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
From my findings any iTunes version since they rewrote the store works fine. This would be iTunes 9.0 to present. I find that song previews don't work on old versions anymore, not sure why.

maverick28

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2014
I can confirm this. On Friday I couldn't make any purchase, play a preview (except, video ones), Genius stopped working: showing this error periodically making a connection to the Store, me launching the app and trying to update Genius. It appears they changed TLS protocols or certificates (likely both) which, unfortunately, means the end for all old iTunes versions and I don't want to use iTunes 12 so much (let alone Music.app). App Store operating in a normal mode.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
Some connections don't work. My DLSD (with 10.6.3) can still download purchased content, but can no longer play it streaming through iTunes Match. You have to download it and play the downloaded version.