Still rocking the original iPad :)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Woodcrest64, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I have had my iPad 1 since the year it came out and over time with installing dozens of apps, music and iOS updates it started to slow down. I just did a system restore with no additional apps, music or anything. It feels so much snappier now :) Safari is also much more stable. This should hold me out a little longer now. Didn't think a system restore could do that much!

2. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

I had an original iPad for a while. A lot of people were complaining it was to slow on iOS 5 and were unhappy. Mine worked like a champ

3. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

I still have my iPad 1 however it has slowed down a lot since jail breaking it and constant tweaking etc. It's still running iOS 4.3 too. I might do an upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 and see how it performs. But overall it still does its job.
    But I mostly use my iPad 2 (2,4 model) as it has longer battery life and is much snappier. But WiFi reception on my iPad 1 is way better that iPad 2, not sure what that is. Even if the majority of apps are no longer supported I can still use iPad 1 for performing basic tasks, surfing the net etc.

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I have an ipad 1 and speedwise it doesnt bother me. Its just that I do alot of reading and web surfing and I think the high res screen of the ipad 3 would be a good upgrade for me. I plan to ask for apple gift cards for christmas and use those towards an upgrade for hopefully the ipad 4 in march.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Love the feel of that curved back; iPad 1 design is fantastic!

6. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I've been considering doing a system restore to improve performance. Any tips? For example, as long as it's been synced with iTunes before initiating restore, all I would lose are the settings (e.g., email account info), right? Don't photos, apps and everything else would get moved back onto the iPad once restore is complete?

7. cole01 macrumors 6502

I'm a huge fan of the original iPad. They have served our family extremely well since launch day and my brother still uses his daily. Just a stunning quintessential Apple design and I find the performance on 5.1.1 to be very adequate for a 3 year old device.

8. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I'm particularly impressed by the quality of the battery. After 2 1/2 years, it holds a charge like it's brand new.

9. JFC macrumors member

Happy to say I still have my iPad 1, which I got on launch day. Also happy to say that it looks and performs like the day I unboxed it. I prefer the design of the original over the subsequent iPads. I'll miss it, but I'm most likely upgrading when iPad 4 comes out.

10. 06Honda macrumors regular

Still got mine and it rocks daily with no issues.

11. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Me, too.

12. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

13. Littleman macrumors regular

Littleman

Sorry to hijack but it got too slow for me.
    The keyboard was not responsive enough. Sold for 150 GBP and bought a Nexus 7.

14. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

That's why I've been considering doing a system restore.

15. TheRocketmac macrumors member

TheRocketmac

Mine is about the same age and I would put the battery at or around 90% of factory-new. Still great for a battery of that size and age.

16. irDigital0l Guest

Still using it!

It runs well...of course graphic intense games aren't good but it does everything else.

The battery is still amazing.

17. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

The battery on mine is working still very well. Before I did the system restore Safari was crashing too much. I was using Chrome and Atomic Browser to deal with that. As I said after the system restore my iPad 1 is far more responsive and stable.

I however did not sync it back with iTunes. I use it really only for surfing the internet, twitter and checking email. However before the restore I had dozens and dozens of apps on it, music and pictures that I rarely used.

The iPad 1 is still a great device for surfing the web. I do want the iPad 4 for a better screen, quicker cpu and better Wifi performance. I don't 'need' it but it would be nice. Overall considering its a 3 year old machine its still holding up quite well. :D

Thanks for all your comments.

18. POLBOSS macrumors member

My wife still has and uses her iPad 1 every single day... no complains about anything... at all...
    I wish I could be like my wife and just keep using the technology because it serves my needs... Instead of buying the newest technology only because is... new...

19. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

After ios 5 my ipad 1 has become almost useless. Slow and keeps crashing. A restore didn't help. I am ready for the mini. :D

20. Bokes macrumors 6502

Just sold my ipad1 for far more than I thought it was worth.
    Bring on the mini.

21. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I'm bummed to hear that. Mine doesn't crash, but it's annoyingly slow, such as a second or longer lag after hitting a key before it shows up on screen. I'm going to give a restore a shot. But this is my first and last tablet. They're toys. Even email on them sucks.

22. afd macrumors 6502a

still have an iPad 1, fine for most things. when os 5 came out seemed hopelessly slow, turned off gestures and that made it bearable. Absolutely fine for video watching.

23. irDigital0l Guest

any other ways to make the ipad 1 run smoother/faster?

24. Bishwasher macrumors regular

Yeah, sell it and put the proceeds towards an iPad 3 :D

25. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

I have both an original iPad and iPad 2 and I can't deny how leggy the original feels in comparison, especially after updating to iOS 5. The lack of iOS 6 support is also a bummer, not that I was expecting otherwise.