Still Using 1st Gen iPhone! Others?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steiney, Sep 26, 2011.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello All,

Considering the upcoming release of the iPhone 5, I feel like this is appropriate. I'm still on the 1st generation iPhone with whatever the latest software update is for that model. I don't have video, for instance.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is still using the 1st generation iPhone? Mine still works, although it is very slow and some weird lines appeared the other day on the screen. The battery is still pretty good. I got it right when they came out, so I guess it's about 4 years old.

For the record, I'm definitely getting the iPhone 5 when it comes out. Hoping it has a bigger screen.

steiney

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A question about those lines, are they there even when the iPhone's screen is off?

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

What a rebel you are.[In a good way!]

I doubt many here could go with the same smartphone for OVER four years straight. A lot has changed since the first iPhone was considered new so be prepared to be blown away.

4. LoganT macrumors 68020

5. dewski macrumors regular

i still had the 1st gen up until about 6 months ago. i only left it for the retina display

6. riveting macrumors 6502

I am using the original iphone, so does my wife. But she is demanding a new iphone 4 or 5 now. Too bad the resale value of the iphone is not good any more.
    If apple had support it with iOS 4, I could definitely use it for another year or 2, right now, I don't know whether i want to upgrade as well.

7. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Intell: No, just some horizontal lines of grayed out pixels around the bottom left-hand side. The screen is perfectly blank when it's off.

Spectrum Abuser: Yeah, I'm dying to get the iPhone 5. I know what I'm missing out on currently, but my desire to maximize the value of my investment has caused me to wait to upgrade. I probably still wouldn't, but my phone is getting so slow it's unbearable.

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Sadly the value on your investment is probably gone. Sure, you got the use out of the device, but all the resale is gone now. I'm on my 4th iPhone now (2g, 3g, AT&T 4, and Verizon 4). Minus the last one because I had to pay an ETF, I have paid for the new device and even made a little cash by selling the old one.

I guess the VERY first one was a little different as there were no subsidies and you probably paid the full price, even then you wouldn't have been out much.

9. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

I paid either $299 or $399 for the phone. I can't remember which. I thought about selling it when the 3G came out, and that probably is the most rational thing to do, but I like the original one and decided to stick with it. I'm hoping that in 20 or 30 years, I'll be one of very few people with an original iPhone sitting around, and some collector will pay me a bunch of money for it (like thousands), and it will pay me back for some, if not all of the cell service I've paid for over the years. We'll have to wait and see.

10. utl768 macrumors 6502

i used it till feb of 2010 got it in september of 07

it was still running fine but i had a deal for a new 3gs for 49 dollars fall into my lap so i upgraded

11. earlycuyler macrumors member

Just curious as to how you handled the yearly turnover. Were you getting early subsidized upgrades from your carrier, or just paying the full unsubsidized price?

I have to salute the OP. I have never kept any phone for four years. I've had my 3GS for just over two now and I've been fighting the urge to upgrade since Christmas. I have a friend who still has the original iPhone, but its not in use.

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Well good luck with that, but I think collectors would pay thousands for an unboxed first generation iPhone, than for a used, scuffed up iPhone with lines on the screen...

13. LoganT macrumors 68020

All I'm saying is, it's cool you haven't bought a new iPhone since the first one. But I don't see what's cool about missing out on a lot of the great features that have come to the iPhone.

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Good luck with that. I thought the same way about my bag phone from 20 years ago. Ended up tossing it in the trash. :mad:

15. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I know this isn't technically the right place to post this, but if any 1st gen owners in this thread have an excellent condition phone to sell, shoot me a PM.

16. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I would probably consider using mine if I could get it downgraded to 2.2.1 but I've had no luck in that.

17. metoo6000 macrumors regular

You are not alone. I and my wife still use iPhone 2G (8GB), and the condition is almost new. Everybody keep asking us how we could maintain such a good condition for about 4 years. Well, we just use a iPod socks, and take good care. :D

But I admit that 2G is slow, and most time we get is GPRS, which is even worse. So we will get iPhone 5 when it is out.

18. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I had the original as well and then i got the iP4 last year. Trust me, you're gonna love it an have that "new phone" sickness for a month. It was an enormous upgrade, seeing as I skipped the 3g and 3gs.

19. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah right. iOS 4 slowed down the 3G, never mind what it'd do to the original! You're due an upgrade :p

20. Gandalf! macrumors member

I used it until the iPhone 4 came out and then I bought that. My wife uses it now as an iPod. It's still in perfect condition.

21. billnye97 macrumors regular

I don't use my original iPhone but I still have it. I bought it at launch and the pricing was $499 and $599. More then likely if you had the 8Gb it was $599 which is what I bought it for and still have the receipt for. 4GB was $499. AT&T and Apple didn't offer any subsidy originally. They eventually gave a $100 Apple gift card to compensate when they dropped the price a month or two later.

22. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

billnye97: Hmm... I seem to remember paying $299 but I could be wrong. I definitely waited until that first price drop, but I just can't imagine I would have paid $399 for a cell phone back then. I could be wrong, though.

23. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I think simply buying two new iPhones is the best plan for you, and put the two original iPhones in a vault somewhere. Hold onto them until 2020 or 2030 and I think they should be worth several thousand dollars to a collector somewhere.

24. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

25. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I switched to the iPhone 4 recently in Aug, been using my 1st gen 16GB before then. I would still be using my original iPhone had it not been for it getting wet & consequently the speaker volume hit a new low. Everything else worked flawlessly, albeit slower than most other phones. Oh & my screen developed a few grey out pixels in the top left corner but I learned to overlook that.