Still wait on a MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jarrodtb, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jarrodtb macrumors member

I have a PowerBook G4 and have been anxiously waiting MW 2008 before diving into a laptop. The MBA doesn't seem like it's going to fit my needs, but Im anxious to get a new laptop. I was really hoping the MBA would be for me and give me some piece of mind about buying something new sooner rather than later, but it just didnt pan out that way. :p

What do you think? Is Apple getting ready to update the MB and MBP lines? Is there a imminent upgrade to things like the larger multi-touch track pad coming to these lines soon?

Thanks for any help.

2. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

i am in the same boat as you! i rely want a MBP but i know as soon as i get one they will get updated.:rolleyes:

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Personally, I can wait another month before I absolutely must buy, so I'm hoping for a silent revision in the coming weeks. That should be long enough to throw a Penryn in there and hopefully the MacBook Air's new trackpad. If not, I'm buying anyway as the current specs are better than what I currently have.

4. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Multi-touch on a MBP that would be so good!

can it be done with a Software update?

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Well NAMM is coming so it might come sooner then later.

6. ydb1914 macrumors member

ydb1914

price redux on MBP's

same here...are we gonna see price reduction on MBP's? in this case..i can wait for every penny i will save...:)

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

GOOD GOD, PEOPLE! Buy the damned thing now! Stop waiting for the next big rumor!

8. TimJim macrumors 6502a

9. greendragon macrumors regular

10. ydb1914 macrumors member

ydb1914

i'm giving myself 24 hours to think...

it's my hard-earned money, not yours...unless :p

11. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Easy, easy. I think this is a perfectly valid question. The MBP is well overdue for an update. I too was waiting for today, but am going to have to grit my teeth a little while longer. A laptop is a major investment and vital tool for some, and getting the most bang for your buck is important.

12. thinkband macrumors regular

I too have been waiting, and still am for a lower end Macbook Pro. Like most of you, I'll be waiting for revision :) Anyone know if it will be in weeks or months or till the end of the year? Next MW?

13. macfearless macrumors regular

same situation. I would like to get either a macbook/pro, but would like to see if the features of the MBA are gonna be adapted to either line. I would love to have an aluminum macbook!

14. snipersix macrumors member

I got tired of waiting, so I just baught a 2.4ghz macbook pro today :p Its awsome :p

15. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Personally, I'm not really waiting for the Next Big Thing. I just have a few more weeks until want becomes need, and when that happens I'll buy what's available. I think the current MBP specs are fine, but if Apple happens to switch over to the Penryn processors in the next few weeks, then I'll just get more bang for my buck. I'm a firm believer in the "if you need it now, buy it now" philosophy, but I don't need it now...

16. BrokenE macrumors regular

Same Story

Same story with me...I was ready to purchase a 15"MBP for Christmas, but then i started reading on this site (a rumor?) that there might be an update to the MBPs at Macworld. So I waited.....and nothing...all I got was air...:) OK, that's my corny joke for today. Seriously, the work that intel did to reduce the size by 60% sounds impressive. I also wonder if the touch pad trick is simply a matter of software update? It's nice, but the MBA is not for me.

So, I actually will be buying both a MB and a MBP. Can someone recommend where to buy for best price. Thanks.

17. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

in same boat as OP. not really sure what to get now. a 12" MBP would be nice someday....

anyone know if there seems to be a regular pattern to the updates? anything that would give an indication of a waiting time until the next update?

18. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

Same here, been waiting for Christmas... Looks like it will be a little longer for my MBP Christmas present. I just want the satisfaction of knowing it isn't immediately replaced with a newer model so I wait still. :(

19. BrokenE macrumors regular

PS windows/PC ads

Is it me or does anyone else find the windows/PC ads seriously anoying? I say that and I am writing this on a laptop PC :confused:. I cant wait to get my MBP!!!! my first Mac...so special;)

20. andrewag macrumors 6502

Apple has been known to update products in the week after MacWorld so if it's speed bumps and that sort of thing it could be soon?

21. McGiord, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

22. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I'm still waiting as well. I'm hoping for an aluminum macbook, or a MBP updated case. Or a macbook air with a user replaceable battery for God sake. :cool:

23. charris macrumors newbie

I know back-to-school season is a loooong way off, but does anyone remember the details of the last "buy a mac, get a free ipod" promo? I wasn't paying attention the last few years because I wasn't in the market for a new computer.

[And before I get eaten alive for waiting so long, let me just say that I don't anticipate a need until this fall, but I do like to (over)think ahead of time.]

Thanks!

Edit: Oops, the info can be found here.

24. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

If you're a full-time student, the best deal is to buy the MBP as an ADC Student member ($99 to become member, but a once-in-a-lifetime 20%(? I think) rebate. Then you buy the MB in the Apple education store.

If you're not a student, or even if you are a student, another cheap (relatively speaking) and just as good option is to get a refurb MBP and MB from the Apple online store. The computers are just as good, and come with the same warranty as new Macs. However, new releases usually don't show up in the refurb store for a minimum of 1-2 months after they've been released. The older the model, the more savings.

25. Aranince macrumors 65816

I'm going to wait and save money till they update the Macbook line. Probably in like May-June time frame...possibly August