Still Waiting for Apple's 2017 Back to School Promotion? Here's When It's Launched in Recent Years

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

For over a decade, Apple has offered an annual Back to School promotion, offering higher education students, parents of higher education students, and educators incentives, such as a free pair of Beats headphones or an Apple Store gift card valued up to $100, with the purchase of a qualifying Mac, iPhone, or iPad.

[​IMG]

We've been receiving questions about the Back to School promotion for a few weeks now, but there's still no sign of an imminent launch. Some have wondered whether Apple is canceling the program entirely, but it's too early to say, as there are still several weeks remaining before students begin returning to classrooms.

Since 2006, Apple has launched its Back to School promotion in the United States and Canada as early as May 25, and as late as July 23. The promotion is usually extended to several European countries such as France, Germany, and Italy on either the same day, or no more than a few weeks later.

These have been the exact kickoff dates each year for North America:2016: June 2
    2015: July 23
    2014: July 1
    2013: July 2
    2012: June 11
    2011: June 16
    2010: May 25
    2009: May 27
    2008: June 3
    2007: June 5
    2006: June 4Apple's Back to School promotion is highly anticipated because it's one of the few times a year that Apple offers deals to customers, and many hold off on summer purchases until the event begins. Apple offered free Beats headphones in 2016 and 2015, free Apple Store gift cards in 2014, and free iTunes gift cards in 2013.

Apple launched a Back to Uni promotion in Australia and New Zealand in February, offering a free Apple Store gift card valued between $70 and $100 with the purchase of a qualifying new Mac or iPad Pro.

The Back to Uni promotion in Australia and New Zealand can sometimes foreshadow what Apple plans to offer in other countries, but not always. In 2015, for example, Apple offered an Apple Store gift card worth up to $100 in Australia and New Zealand, but the deal was free Beats headphones in the United States.

Article Link: Still Waiting for Apple's 2017 Back to School Promotion? Here's When It's Launched in Recent Years

2. TheIguana, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

There has been a lot of speculation on these forums that the new Macs and iPads released at WWDC last month has delayed this years promotion as Apple waits to clear the backlog of orders it would have drummed up. Also wondering out loud when/if Apple will start this up again.

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I agree that the delay is because of the updated Macs/iPads...they are hoping to get the initial surge out of the way so they won’t be included in the deal. Could definitely be toward end of July this time around like in 2015.

4. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

To be honest, I would be pissed for a gift card after waiting this long on Mid-2017's.

But also, I would be happy like a 14 year old who got his first kiss if they do it with airpods.

For Beats, it'll be a good gift to my girlfriend.

5. Avieshek macrumors 6502

Avieshek

6. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

Never gonna happen.

7. Avieshek macrumors 6502

Avieshek

Don't say like that.

8. Glope macrumors member

Honestly, i'd love an iTunes voucher to go with my iPad Pro and i'll buy Affinity Photo straight off - saves me £20/30!

Third week of waiting for this bloody event though, it's killing me now! I want my new toy :D

9. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Not the first analogy I'dve made I must say

Then again. When I was 14, headphones hadn't been invented and the 78rpm gramophone was powered by elastic bands and everything was monochrome so its difficult to compare really.

10. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Wow.

Think about gifting one of those to your significant other. That would have been a hell of a kiss :D

11. DrumApple macrumors 6502

Wouldn't surprise me if they cancel it, you don't get to be a trillion dollar company doing giveaways!

12. Happy-Mac macrumors member

Don't worry Avieshek, your first kiss will come. J/K

Kidding aside, I love MacRumors posts like this. Listing historical data with some past guidance to make predictions is a favorite for me. (I go nuts in the buyers guides sometimes.)

Joe Rossignol +1
    MacRumors +1

13. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

They don't even have enough supply of AirPods to ship as it is. They're still shipping with a 6 week wait. Not a chance in the world AirPods will be involved. You'll sooner see them throw in a free 5k iMac with every iPad purchase.

It's going to be a gift card for iTunes or Beats.

Remember that this promotion is for school kids. iTunes and Beats are things that matter most to them. They don't care about AirPods.

14. satchmo macrumors 65816

Curious to know what the discount was relative to the price of the qualifying product in 2005.

Just to see if Apple has become more or less generous over the years.

15. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Why do they care about iTunes & Beats yet not Music & AirPods?
    And also, I always assumed this offer was targeted at university/college students - it is called 'Back to Uni' in the UK, after all…

16. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Apple is unlikely to give free months of Apple Music. Giving an iTunes gift card brings much of that revenue back to them. When they use to give a product, they'd just screwed themselves out of that person ever paying them money for that iPod or whatever item. By giving you a $100 iTunes gift card, they're giving something that costs them almost nothing and then you spend all of it back with them again.

AirPods aren't noticeable like Beats. For a high school or college kid, it's about being seen with the cool product. That's why they buy an Apple laptop for 3x the price of a cheap Dell that would still do everything they need to do. People don't notice AirPods but they do notice big red Beats headphones. That's why the kids want them.

The offer it targeted at all back to school kids. College but high school too. Both care about the same things around those ages.

17. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Meh, I got tired of waiting and just got my MacBook Pro. Besides, if it ends up being a pair of Beats, they wouldn't have been used by me anyways -- I'm spoiled by my Bose QC35s. :)

18. AndreaB13 macrumors member

I'd not be surprised if Apple decide to cancel the program exactly in the year that I have to replace the mac :rolleyes:

19. Sovon Halder macrumors newbie

Sovon Halder

It's going on right now. These 'back to school' promotions in India are in the form of a percentage discount on purchase of Macs & iPads (not applicable for iPhone).

The education discount is usually 6% throughout the year. However during this 'back to school' promotional period that discount gets up to 12% or in the form of a fixed discount, whichever is lesser.

The 2K17 Apple back-to-school promotion started last month, June 13th to be exact and will remain till August 31st.

Sadly macrumors don't post news regarding India+offers.

Check imaginestore.org for details.

20. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Pissed because of a gift card? You know they don't owe you anything right?

21. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

Back in the day, the summer back-to-school promotion helped them clear out inventory of very-capable-but-not-just-released computers the the college-bound students (mostly a win/win situation), and the promotion would end a week before the September launch event for the new computers (to the point where you could predict the September event's date by the end date of the back-to-school program). Those new computer models would the the front-line through the Christmas season, until a spring event that would mostly speed-bump them (remember when all the computers got updated twice every year?). Now, their release schedule has blown all that out of the water.

In any case, we're still over a couple weeks off from the outlier for late starts (2015).
    Back when I was working at a university, the normal educational discount was a fixed amount per line of hardware (e.g. $200 or $300 on a pro-level machine), and the back-to-school promotion brought in additional "freebies" (and the edu discounts were valid for faculty/staff too). I recall one time, getting a laptop with the usual edu discount, plus $300 off a $375 iPod, plus $100 off a $99.99 printer. That was pretty nice.

22. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I still get a kick out of the anti-Beats bias from people. Especially Mac owners.

Yeah, you can probably get similar or even better sound for less, but that's what PC owners criticized Mac owners for for all these years.

I have a couple of pairs of Beats and the Studio and the Pros sound pretty good to me. Yes, they have lots of bass, but I actually like that in headphones. It's not like people are going to mix on headphones so they need them to be flat.

23. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

"Back to School"?
    I've always looked at it like, "Let's get rid of our current models at a discount price before we introduce cool(er) new stuff in September" sale.

I know, I'm a downer today... :(

24. zooby, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  25. KazKam macrumors regular

KazKam

I'm in the same boat. Finally going to replace my mid-2010 iMac. Was only waiting to see if the new ones had any hardware issues before jumping in and completely forgot about the back-to-school deals. Now I guess I'll wait a few more weeks to see if one comes to fruition in the US, but I fear one may not.