Stock Photos App

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by terrywfoster, Sep 10, 2014.

1. terrywfoster macrumors regular

Is there anyway to make it act like it did in ios 7 and stop all this grouping mess? Even when toggling to Albums there is a recent album now where all my photos sure to reside. Where did the "all" pictures go?

2. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Literally just found this out as well. The new photos app organization is terrible. Where the F is all photos. I don't wanna go by years and months to find them. Wtf apple? Also deleting photos then deleting them again is stupid. So many people are gonna have "trash can" photos wasting space cause they didn't fully delete.

3. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

I like the trash can feature. I have regretted accidentally deleting photos before. And the trash can auto clears after a set number of days...

4. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Ya 30 days! Usually when people accidentally delete a photo they noticed right when they do it. 30 days is a long time to realize u deleted something. Also how annoying it's gonna be when you take a screen shot to send to someone then delete... Then delete again.

If anything give the user the option to remove this feature. Or make the restore option 1-7 days. Not a whole damn month is

5. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I'm really shocked not more people are talking about this removal of "All Photos"... searching for photos is literally 10 times harder now.

6. terrywfoster thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not fond of it at all. It made my camera experience drop on iOS.

7. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Exactly... They made the photos app way to difficult now to share and view your pictures... what with heck when thru their mind to remove "all photos" album? And the recently delete folder needs to be a user option... gonna be really cool and fun having to delete photos twice now.. yay!

8. Jason Cox macrumors newbie

Jason Cox

I can say unequivocally that I am not a fan of the grouping in the updated Photos.app. Specifically not being able to differentiate between photos in my Camera Roll and my Photostream is already annoying the heck out of me and I've only been on the GM for around 36 hours.

From a usability perspective it's just bloody awful. If you delete photos one by one, you can figure out if you're deleting a photo local to the device versus one on Photostream based on the text in the deletion confirmation. However if you select multiple photos as I did last night, they'll be wiped out of both places with no feedback to the user that you're nuking your local copy and it's cloud backup.

On top of that, I have a few items in my camera roll that are from a few months ago and thanks to this new setup, it now takes an act of Congress to find them since they're now buried in the Photos tab among thousands of other pictures. Ugh.

9. Razeus macrumors 603

Why would you need to differentiate what's local and what's in the cloud? I was under the assumption that everything will be transported to the cloud, effectively giving you unlimited storage space (or at least up to your iCloud cap anyways).

I'm glad this works like the Shutter.app by StreamNation. Snap a picture and don't worry about it. The full rez goes to the cloud will a small size iPhone appropriate version stays cached locally.

Frankly that's how I'd like it. Managing the Camera Roll and Photostream in iOS 6 & 7 has always been a PITA.

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Because then how do you back up your photos? To have a proper backup your data needs to be in at least two locations. On your device and in the cloud, for example. If it's in only one place, it's not backed up.

Apple should be more transparent about how things work.

11. TheDonNguyen macrumors newbie

i think this was the most annoying change...my list is exponentially longer now

12. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Easily the worst and most annoying [lack of a] feature in iOS 8. I can no longer sort my photos in one easy grid in one easy place.

13. Jr. Pac macrumors member

Wow, I just noticed this too and it exponentially annoys me.

I have 3 albums in the albums tab, Recently Added, Videos, and Time Lapse. I just want my freaking CAMERA ROLL back!!!!!!!!

14. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I actually like the grouping in very specific situations, like when I am looking for a picture I took back in the spring of 2011. However not having the all is EXTREMELY annoying. When this update goes to the mass population it's going to be chaos.

The beta testers at least got used to not having the camera roll over the last few months.

15. E3BK, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Isn't Recently Added basically the new camera roll? Personally, I like the date grouping on the Photos tab. I actually find it MUCH easier to find photos based on dates & locations. I'm also glad I don't have to delete things in 2 places now. Having to delete on the camera roll and in photo stream was a PITA.

I do wish they would let us set our own expire time for the deleted photos though. I don't need 30 days do decide if I want to undelete something.

16. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Lol how is recently added the same as camera roll/all photos? It's clearly some kind of timer when the pic was taken.. after that it moves out... There is no real easy way to view all photos anymore. When you sort by collection its such a waste of screen real estate.

Btw, you still have to delete twice... they have "Recently Deleted" which photos and videos stay in there for a FREAKING MONTH!... should be 1-2 days. No one deletes a photo on accident then realizes a month later.. sorry, so annoying... especially when u wanna take a screenshot and send it.. then if u wanna delete it you gotta delete it twice... or any other "personal" pics... that you wouldn't want in your trash by mistake (no i don't take nudes, just giving examples)

17. E3BK, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I just don't think it's that big a deal. I always hated how camera roll was every fracking thing in your photo album. That's what albums are for. I like things sorted and organized I guess. I like the dated collections, I find it easier to find older photos. Personal preference I guess. As for waste of real estate, I guess it's a good thing they made bigger screens this year! lol. And you don't *have* to delete a 2nd time in the "deleted" section. It will go away on its own, though I agree 30 days is ridiculously long as I stated in my previous post.

It did take some getting used to but overall, I like the changes. I'm sorry you don't though. I understand the frustration of things changing and them not working the way you're used to. I've been there, buddy. I legit lost my ish when they decided to get rid of iDisk.

18. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

While I agree with organizing things, the new way is not organized what so ever... and actually I just noticed an even more annoying thing.. I went to send someone in iMessage a photo from a while ago and I did it from the messages app... I had to scroll for like 10 seconds 1 by 1 until I finally found it.. the old way was WAY easier.

19. Razeus macrumors 603

provide some screenshots of what you're talking about please.

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Yes, please! You guys are confusing me. So iOS 8 Camera Roll isn't a collection of all the photos in the iPhone anymore? What happens when you activate your new iPhone with the Backup of your previous iPhone (next week)? Where do those photos show up? (No Photostream for me.)

21. Apple NZ macrumors member

Some people like myself don't organise photos into albums though.

And additionally if I wanna share an old photo on the Facebook app I can't, because Facebook only allows you to select photos from the recently added album. Same with Dropbox.

22. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

where do you all see ALL in iOS 7? I am in photos under albums and it has all the different folders like camera roll my photo stream panoramas videos and all the photo streams i have shared, is that what you all are referring to as all?

Esentially when I upgrade to iOS 8 where will my camera roll pics go? do they get relocated or I lose them completely?

I was also confused on how they mentioned with the new photos app that it will NOT take up space on my phone? Cause I have like 8k pics and like 200 videos, will they truly all reside in iCloud and not take up any storage on my phone at all? If so I may not need 64gb

23. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Here ya go... I blacked out my pictures in case you're wondering why you see black boxes.... But you will see that their is no "camera roll" with all my photos.

I'm guessing that the "Recently Added" folder goes back 30 days of pictures taken. Cause I have some recent ones in there before iOS 8 GM.

Attached Files:

24. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Not "all photos" but "camera roll" provided all your photos and videos in one grid. That not longer exists.

----------

They're put into "collections" that is broken down by years and months... In a very terrible view that isn't easy to scroll thru.

25. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Exactly. I don't want everything living in the cloud. First of all, I have too many photos. Plus, I like to keep a few local backups as well. If it isn't in at least two (preferably three) places then it doesn't exist.