Stolen iMac, transfer of AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeffy.dee-lux, Jul 3, 2007.

1. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Hello
    I recently enjoyed the nasty surprise of coming home from a trip to find my year and a half old intel iMac taken away from my apartment by some kind soul. My last backup was made about a year ago, so while some of the more recent stuff is somewhere on my Gmail account, I've lost a lot of my recent stuff. Nothing too important, fortunately, as I just graduated from school, but it's definitely gonna be a hastle to recover.

Anyway, I have a very generous relative who wants to make up for the greed of the person who stole from me, and has even offered to help me step up for a laptop in my transition to the professional world. (I'd still prefer an iMac, but I can't deny that a laptop will be useful for work). I had bought AppleCare for my iMac, and was unfortunately surprised when I realized that it did not cover theft whatsoever, (didn't have any other kind of insurance either), but I was at least hoping that I'd be able to transfer this AppleCare coverage to my new computer.
    I only just bought the AppleCare coverage this winter, so it'd be a extra slap in the face if that was also wasted money (along with the 1G of ram I just installed in the imac two months ago.)

thanks a lot,
    Jeff

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Unfortunately, the AppleCare goes with the computer. You could call apple and get it "flagged" if the crook tries to take it to the genius bar, IIRC.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

If I'm understanding correctly, you purchased the extended AppleCare for your iMac. Did you already register it to your particular (stolen :() iMac? If so, that baby is completely gone. Sorry. :eek:

If you still have the box, and the code is unregistered you can try selling it via eBay or Craigslist or whatnot.

And if you're preference still lies w/ an iMac, why not get one? You get more bang for your buck.

4. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Be sure to get insurance for your laptop - here in US a company like Safeware covers theft, accidents, etc. You can also insure peripherals with the policy.

5. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

oof... that's pretty rough about the AppleCare. I really thought I was buying myself peace of mind, I'm tempted not to get AppleCare next time.

Its very true what you say about the iMac, you do get a lot more money. I've got a couple reasons. First off, there are a couple of reasons to get this computer soon, one being that it would be helpful in the job hunt, another being that I have access to my school's computer store (and its reduced pricing) untill August. So if i'm gonna get a computer soon, i'd rather not buy an imac right now as they're about to updated. The imac update could come before my student account is finished, but it could also end up being delayed till the fall.

Then there's the fact that I'll be moving to London in a few months (from Canada). I don't know if any of you have any suggestions as to transporting computers, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to ship an iMac, but I just felt like flying with a laptop would be a lot easier.

And lastly, while I don't yet know where I'll be working, i tend to think that having a laptop would mean I'd get by with one computer for both work and home. Whereas if I got an iMac, i might need to have a second computer for work. Or do companies often supply you with a computer at work?

Obviously I haven't made any certain decisions so i"m open to any suggestions.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No, you've listed very clear and compelling reasons to go portable.

As for AppleCare, FWIW, it's never advertised as anything other than just warranty (and not for accidental damage, either). I know it's painful to hear, but sometimes, it does pay to read T&C. :eek:

That said, you're lucky that you have such a generous relative.

Honestly, given the reasons you've listed in this latest post, I would lean towards you getting a portable as both the MacBooks and the MacBookPros have been updated quite recently.

Best o' luck.

7. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for your input. I was a little naive about the insurance thing, and about getting the computer ripped off in the first place. And you are very right about how fortunate I am to have such a generous relative. I have a hard time accepting a gift like this though, it makes me feel spoiled and undeserving, I really wish I could've taken care of this on my own. But my relative is very strong willed, and I know I should just accept her generosity and be thankful for it.
    Thanks for all the input.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

Are you tempted to get actual insurance next time?

9. tickyholdago macrumors newbie

File a police report. Get a copy of that police report.

Call AppleCare.

Trust me.

10. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

are you saying they might actually do something for me? I've already filed a police report, and I could most likely get my hands on a copy as I still have the file number.

11. tickyholdago macrumors newbie

Call them. Ask if they could transfer the agreement to a new iMac.

12. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

yeah renters insurance would have been nice, however you should be able to get a pro rated refund on the apple care, give them a call and ask for it back.

13. sas76 macrumors member

I would totaly agree with this. I had a warranty issue with a laptop which I was told was not covered. After working my way up the call centre line (asking nicley to talk to the manager etc) my problem was fixed. It did take a few phone calls.

Don't always except what the first person tells you. Somethings aren't as black and white as they seem.

Cheers

14. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, thanks, i'll give that a shot.

Another question:
    If i get a MBP, I'd like to have iLife, but don't wanna pay for '06 now if it's likely to get updated within a few months. Should I have any problems installing it from my old iMac install discs?
    Any other suggestions as to how I can make use of my install discs and packaging material (other than selling them to some dude who's probably trying to move stollen goods, I'd rather not contribute any more to that market).

15. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

If you get a MacBook Pro, iLife is included. You can then buy iLife '07 (well, probably '08 at this point) at your leisure.

16. seany916 macrumors 6502

inform apple of the theft.

Get the low end MBP. Don't get a Macbook.

take your laptop with you when you travel

back your stuff up 2x a month

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

To save money, you could look at the "refurbished" section of the Apple Store. If your iMac was 18 months old, you can probably get an equivalent or slightly better model than the one you lost for relatively little money, and RAM is fortunately quite cheap at the moment.

I would think that Apple should give a partial refund for the AppleCare. Since you had 12 months warranty anyway, you only used six out of the 24 months cover that AppleCare gave you, so that should be good for a refund, or a transfer to the new computer.

18. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

You beat me to it, I recommend the same thing. Apple is, at times, a pretty generous company, I am sure they would be willing to help you out (aka use that applecare towards applecare on a new machine)