Stolen iPhone on Launch Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nuju0460, Sep 19, 2014.

1. nuju0460, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

nuju0460 macrumors newbie

Wow. Never thought my first post would be something like this.

So basically what happened is: I had my iPhone shipped to my college, and when I went to pick it up at the mail room, I was given a box that was already sliced open, with just the packing slip and some cardboard in the box. I looked around the mail room for quite a bit and there was no sign of any iPhones. That was the point when I realized that MY IPHONE 6 HAS BEEN STOLEN. Whoever stole the phone definitely knew what was inside and took advantage of the fact that the recipient did not have to be present when the package was delivered. I'm thinking about contacting the police already...

I thought today was supposed to be a really happy day for me, but now I'm just sitting here and freaking out. Any suggestions as to what actions I should take?

Sorry if there's any broken English. My brain's not even functioning now. I mean I still can't believe all this happened. Seriously WTF?!

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, it's also possible that the people at the mail room stole it. But how could they know that it was an iPhone inside? I mean, the package doesn't say anything except the address and tracking number.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Well, that changed quickly haha.

I found start the claim process with UPS as soon as you can.

3. torana355 macrumors 68020

Ring UPS and get the ball rolling. Tell them your package was tampered with when you got it.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

A) Your subject is wrong. You clearly don't know who stole it.
    B) You're THINKING of calling the police? Why haven't you already reported it? Also, report it to UPS.

5. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

and how do you know it wasn't by someone that works for your mail room?

6. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

How do you know it's ups that stole your phone? Anyone working in the mail room could of stolen it.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That was my initial thought as well. The OP was pretty quick to blame UPS. That said, like others have already mentioned contact UPS and open a claim up with them.

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

More likely someone in the mail room stole it, no?

:apple:

9. garycoleman2 macrumors member

I doubt UPS driver stole it. It's most likely the college kids at the mail room who stole it.

10. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

This was my first thought too.

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm with everyone. I'm pretty sure it was someone in the mailroom.

Logic tells me that if it was UPS, I'm pretty sure they would have at least taped it back up. Also, it's way too traceable if UPS did it; I don't think the driver could be that stupid.

What was the time lapse between UPS delivery and you picking it up?

12. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I think it is far more likely a mail room monkey stole your phone. Either mail room persons, another college student who happened to be in there, or even just a random thief.

These random thieves are common on college campuses. They will troll library stacks looking for unattended laptops, purses and phones. Snatch and run.

And on an iPhone launch day? These thieves are out in droves, looking for delivery packages just like yours.

13. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Surely your order is on a known delivery truck and it's known who the driver is. Pretty big risk no?

I'm with the above, sounds like a mail room job, not the driver.

14. joeptp macrumors member

Doubt it was the UPS driver. That really sucks man, good luck on the process.

Did you order yours unlocked? I bought my iPhone through Apple under my AT&T contract. When setting the phone up, you can't finish the setup without the AT&T account holders billing zip and last 4 of social.

15. bobright macrumors 601

Why would u get it delivered to college? That's where u messed should have had it sent to your parents or a relative.

16. uchosen macrumors 6502

My vote is for knuckled-headed college student working in or passing by the mail room.

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I went to college two hours away from my parents house and about 1500 miles from any other relatives. Maybe the OP is not close to some ones house.

OP, post a picture of the box when you can.

18. Joe1602 macrumors regular

Has anyone thought that maybe it was someone in the mail room and not the ups driver? Really, has anyone mentioned that yet? :rolleyes:

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If you had read the thread you would see that a lot of people thought that. ;)

20. nuju0460 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry y'all, I was just too steam-headed...I'll change the title right away. And no college students couldn't have stolen it because students are not allowed in the storage area. I'm thinking about contacting the school's securities and yes I'm about to call the police right now. The package was delivered around 3 and I went to pick it up at 3:50. Probably something really funky happened during that 50 minutes.
    I'm an international student so delivering it to the school is the only option :(

----------

Well I guess I can't really edit the title. Bummer.

21. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Dude, that really sucks. Best of luck on getting it back.

22. Joe1602 macrumors regular

Sarcasm really doesn't go over well on the internet. I even used the rolleyes and everything.

23. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Way to give UPS a bad name when your box was sitting in your COLLEGE MAILROOM. Drivers are working hard to get everyone their iPhones today. Maybe a better topic is "There are thieves as XYZ college!"

Stay classy.

24. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It clearly doesnt work with the wink face either haha.

25. AppleRobert macrumors 603

iPhones cannot be identified? Doesn't each have a specific sort of ID identifying code? If it gets turned on maybe it could be tracked??

I would find out who specifically handles mailroom deliveries and have the college grill them. Also contact UPS in case it was the driver BUT wouldn't the person accepting it notice it was tampered with so I lean towards the mailroom person.