Stolen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonkey, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Bonkey macrumors newbie

So I think a guy I had here installing my alarm stole my iPhone.:mad: I heard a dog bark ring coming from his pocket and commented that I had the same ring on my iPhone. He just nodded and mumbled soemthing about it being his wife. Anyway, after he leaves, I can't find my phone anywhere. It has been a week now and nothing.

So here is my question, is the dog bark ring that comes on the iPhone exclusive to an iPhone. I know he doesn't have one and I am wondering if that is how I should go about proving the theft.

Also, is there anything else, maybe tracking-wise that I can do? TIA:D

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

If you have your box you can block it with the numbers on the bottom by calling ATT - CCID number.

3. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I reported it stolen...is that what you are talking about? I immediately tried calling my phone and he had shut it off or removed the sim card. It went directly to VM.

Thanks for the suggestion.:)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is it mildly ironic that the guy installing a security system in your home stole from you?

I'm curious though, when you called and it went right to voice mail, how did you know that he took the sim out?

5. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know for a fact that's what he did...it's what my babysitter suggested. I guess one of her friend's works for AT&T and that is what he had said the guy probably did.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff. Does that sound right to you, about the SIM card?

6. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, and hell yes it is very ironic that the freaking alarm guy probably stole my phone. I want to prove it soooooo bad.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

He probably left it in the phone, and just turned it off.

I would defiantly call the company he works for (if you haven't already) and make sure you get your phone back.

If he made one call that would be suspicious, you probably can then take him to court, and he could risk losing his job, and he will have to pay you directly for:

The phone bill length of when he had it
    Time without your phone

etc, make sure follow through.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm sorry but if he is in the US most states don't allow you to claim against "time" like that.
    He should get the phone back and press charges. The case will be a criminal case where the OP probably won't benefit from any sentence as the goods were returned. The theft of a $400 device is another story.

9. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I did tell the alarm company and they made him give up his cell...which was some flip phone, definitely not an iPhone. It wasn't charged and the company charged the phone over night and checked to see if it had a dog bark ring...They say it did. I find it very coincidental but I am dropping it. That is why I want to know if the dog bark ring is exclusive to the iPhone or if there is a way to track it. ;)

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm not sure if you understood me but...if he takes the phone and uses it, i'm pretty sure he can sue for what his phone bill is, depending on how long he used it...

It is exclusive, but have you checked to see if he has made any calls / used EDGE?

11. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

He has not made any calls according to the AT&T log. What is EDGE? Thanks for all of the help.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

using the internet..

So the dog bark ringtone is the only thing you have found out about?

13. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

do you live with anyone else?? maybe you left it in your pants and it went into the laundry????

14. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I only heard an iPhone dog bark ring coming from him, and he acknowledged that it was his phone ringing...however he does not own an iPhone. Anyway. It might be a stretch, but I found it very coincidental that my phone turned up missing right after they left.

The other thing that was suspicious was that he had some bluetooth headset on...wouldn't his phone have just rung in his ear piece and not outloud?

I swear, I have turned my home upside down! LOL I do have three small kids and have looked in every hiding place. It isn't impossible that it is just lost.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Report to AT&T that they use cellphone tower triangulation with your Serial Number. They should respond to this. Also, try check with Apple to see if they are exclusive with the barking ringtone and see what they offer in advice.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

On my Bluetooth headset, it rings in both my ear and on the phone itself. So no.

17. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

actually with the iphone you here your Ringtone outloud and the bluetooth;)

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I guess it's the type of person who I am but I would have grabbed it out of his pocket regardless. I am very suspicious of people who enter my home.

19. The Menacer macrumors member

I feel for you. I just got my iPhone stolen out of my school locker about an hour ago. Any luck in calling AT&T and having them locate it?

20. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. :( I talked to an AT&T guy tonight and he said he didn't understand why people would steal them...he seemed to think you couldn't use them without registering them through AT&T. He did say T-mobile was compatable, but it was really hard to do.

21. Adorada macrumors member

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that you lost your iphone. I hope you either find it (if it wasn't stolen) or get another one free of charge (not sure how likely that will happen though).

My brand new iphone that I just got a couple of days ago, was stolen too. Except that, I know who stole it, positively. My brother, yes, my brother, stole my iphone. He also stole like $200 from my wallet....great brother, eh?

22. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Well, it sucks you lost your phone but all you have to do is report it stolen to the police, tell AT&T, read the IMEI number off the box so they can blacklist the iphone. Your home owner's insurance should cover the lost iphone.

23. aanndrew macrumors member

sue his a** get on his case
    id ring the company
    report his name and the claim he stole you iphone
    talk with you lawyer ( if you dont have one imagine one haha jokies)

court
    phone back
    hes poor
    your happy hes not
    byebye !!

24. JMD123 macrumors member

Nextel

I used to have a nextel and I had the dog bark ring. Long before iPhones were even iPhones were in exsistance...

ALSO check your bill for incoming calls at the molment you thought his pocket was ringing?

25. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

I believe bills only show calls that were successful. I don't believe missed calls show up on the bill.