Stolen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brn2ski00, Sep 29, 2008.

1. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

If my iPhone gets stolen, am I eligible to replace at an Apple/At&t store for the price I paid for it (i.e. $299)? Or will I get charged the unsubsidized fee?

It would be pretty crappy if it got swiped and then you had to pay full price?

What about if you sold your phone? Would you then get charged the full price?

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I'd assume it's your fault the phone got stolen and that Apple or AT&T wouldn't pay for "your" mistake (to them, not to you).

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You would have to pay $499. I have heard of situations where somehow the salespeople have bent the rules for a few people and let them have a second phone for $299 -- but you can't count on that.

4. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Thanks guys, I appreciate the post. I really just want to swap out mine for a black one, but I know that won't fly....

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So what you really want is to "lose" you phone to get a black one.

6. tomzak macrumors newbie

if the phone got stolen/lost, would the guy who got it be able to activate the phone and use it? maybe a dumb question, i'm just curious...

7. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Correct, that would be ideal.

I would assume so... not sure though.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or rather it would be illegal…

9. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Illegal yes, if I reported it stolen and then told the At&t/Apple Store the same thing.

I am not looking for an ethics debate, just curious if anyone has ever done this or if it could be done.

Thanks.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

good to know

im adding you to my block users list

11. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Appreciate it.

Listen, I am speaking in "if" terms.

I want a black iPhone, so I put my white on eBay tonight but didn't realize that I wasn't eligible for the discounted price until 2010 :eek:

With that said, I was just wondering if I had any other options of getting a black iPhone at the lower price -- I actually forgot I even got a discount in the first place.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm not sure I want to get too involved in this discussion. For one thing it's hypothetical, and second I have a problem giving advice that would suggest doing something that is against the law, since you would be filing a false police report... cuz' that's not how I roll. :(

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Basically you are screwing yourself. My roommate had his stolen....and he didn't lie about it. He had to pay full price.

You will pay the unsubsidized price....end of story.

14. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Another good reason why people should be given an examination and be licensed to breed.

15. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Right and thank you, but I am not going to go as far as filing a police report...

That's all I wanted to know and that is too bad about your roommates phone.

Dude, I was speaking in a "what if" manner... nothing more, nothing less. Relax.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

In the what if case, they may well lock that old lost handset down via it's IMEI... Wiped and locked ftw.

17. jake921660 macrumors regular

not 100% sure but if you crack the screen cant you get a replacement for the subsidized price?

18. sonex macrumors member

lol and here we again have people who love 'the law' and apple company that makes billions of $$. I like what you are doing dude, do whatever it takes to get yourself a phone cheap/free , because lets face it, these things are way overpriced if bought outright.

I found my own way of getting the iphone free (not stealing of anyone except apple), and i hope you get a good deal too!

19. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Man, these forums are thick with people trying to commit fraud, then trying to justify it (whether its the "Apple makes tons of money," "Apple sucks and needs to be punished," or "There's no such thing as ethics, leave me alone or answer the question."

If you've to ask these types of questions, you most likely know its wrong to begin with. Fraud will get you fined and may land you in jail. In the meantime, regular law-abiding people get stuck with the repercussions of successful fraud.

I guess this is what the internet is all about, eh? :rolleyes:

I hope your mother reads this thread.

20. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I actually thought of that... What if (and you knew there would be more), I sold it on eBay and just bought a new one using my current SIM. Would the buyer be able to even use the phone?

I think so.... I read that somewhere else on the forums.

Appreciate it bud, I haven't done anything yet -- just speculating, tossing around ideas...

But please, do tell (via PM) how you got a free iPhone!

21. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

If my mother only knew what MacRumors was....

In any case, if you read above, I am not doing anything -- just speculating. No need to cause an uproar or pass judgment on me. You have no idea who I am or what I do... for all you know I could be gathering this info for a story I am writing for CNN.com.

So relax and discuss.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If I were you, I'd just wait until the next update. If you're going to go to the trouble of selling your phone on ebay and paying an unsubsidized price it might as well be for an upgrade.

As for reporting it stolen -- I don't think that's necessary. Just walk into the Apple store and say you want to pay the unsubsidized price for a new iphone because you want to upgrade and see what happens. You could probably make up most or all of the unsubsidized price from the sale of your current phone. The only way this wouldn't work is if they make you sign an additional contract--not worth it then.

Or, post on craigslist that you want to trade a white iphone for a black one. Then you both go to the AT&T store to see if they'll swap the sim cards or something.

23. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Also a good idea, thanks for your input.

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why am I not surprised you're rocking a Palin pic? Anyway, I'm sure your mom will be happy to hear you're doing some investigative journalism, not trying to commit light fraud.

25. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Pretty funny huh?

What is with all the mother jokes? Not even remotely funny....

Next time, Save your fingers the carpal tunnel before you decide to write something that doesn't help out the situation.