Stolen MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bigyella, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Bigyella macrumors member

Hello, someone broke into my house last week and stole my MacBook along with a bunch of other things. I did have iCloud set up on it to track it but so far no luck. I changed my password to iCloud as soon as I found it stolen. Is this why I cannot track it or is something else going on? Thanks for your time.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

AFAIK, changing your password shouldn't affect trackng, but I'm not 100% certain. Most likely it simply hasn't been turned on in range of any useable wireless networks. Sucks that happened, hope you get it back/replaced.

jW

3. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

I hope you are right. I also hope the new line of macs include an lte/ gps chip. Would make situations like this so much easier and more usable. Thanks again.

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Sucks that this has happened and hopefully nothing too important was one the hd but I recommend checking if your insurance covers this theft since the likelihood of getting it back is probably slim. Good luck and thankfully no one was hurt.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

There's a thread on here right now about some guy whose MacBook Pro was stolen, and a week later it showed up on iCloud, so don't give up hope!

6. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

No insurance. I self insure. Just hate thieves. Somehow they got around my security system. They stole a old rifle that was centimentle to me, but left a brand new AR-15. they left a lot. Good for me. I got my security cameras up again just in case they come back.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I highly recommend you do not use that AR-15 to go hunting for them

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

10. chanyitian macrumors regular

yea. sorry to hear that your macs gone. hope they catch those thieves one day. i once had my phone stolen and i would love to see them in jail.

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Large dog`s, blasting an intruder on most counties will in genreral end up with you in the dock ;) My dogs are very passive until you reach a certain perimeter, then the intruders only concern is outrunning them :D so far dogs one, thief dam good mauling and less than sympathetic treatment from the police, time deportation and he was lucky....

12. WoodstaS macrumors newbie

Under System Preferences>iCloud, I hope you had "Find My Mac" checked. I realized yesterday that mine wasn't. Not sure how much this matters, but I assume it matters a lot. Also, it is my understanding that location services must be enabled under Privacy settings.

13. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Update, It took the crooks over a week to fire it up. But when they did I found it using that app. It was in a motel room that they were living in. The cops would not try and find it at first. I got a holt of the right person at the police department, and he went and found it in the first room he went to. Just looked at the guest list in the office, and knew exactly where to go.

14. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Congrats. Thats awesome that you got it back. The find my mac feature might turn out to be a great deterrent.

15. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

I'm glad to hear that you got your stuff back! Situations like that are so unfortunate, but it's good to hear that the "Find My Mac" utility helped you out. I hope those jerk(s) get what they deserve!

16. AfzalivE macrumors member

17. oldguru macrumors member

Impressive one!

18. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

That is awesome!!!

19. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Well I have already bought a Macbook Pro Retina to replace the old one, but I can pass on that old one to someone else. But I recommend installing the "hidden" software in any Mac. I did it on my new one, and Its great. No danger of not getting your Mac back with that on there. Password protected, of course. :)

20. BigHerky macrumors newbie

did you get the rest of your stolen stuff back?

21. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Not yet, but have leads on that. I will update later.

22. kevinbomb123 macrumors member

I dont know how they do it in canada but in America we have rights and can shoot to kill any intruder with no criminal backlash.:cool:

I keep a loaded ak by the nightstand at all times.

23. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That only applies during the commission of the crime. You can't hunt them down afterwards, which is what the post you were responding to was about. I fully support shooting to kill if someone illegally enters your house at night, because you have no way of knowing their intentions. Doesn't mean that should always be the response, but if someone were to break into my house I would definitely want to be able to defend my family.

jW

24. doh123 macrumors 65816

people have thought they have the right to shoot anyone in their house and have gone to jail for murder. You have to be able to show you thought you were in mortal danger and feared for your life... you will be given the benefit of the doubt if possible, but I've read stories like... where multiple people break in and when they saw the owner with the gun they basically stuck their hands up and were running back out the door, and he shot and killed one of them in the back as he was running toward the door... after testimony by all observers, he was still charged with murder, because his life was not in danger, and the intruder was trying to leave.

If you see someone grab your Macbook and start running away with it, and you shoot them... your probably going to prison, because in most US states you do NOT have the right to protect your property with lethal force, only to protect people.