Stolen Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rdrnr8, Jan 22, 2013.

1. rdrnr8 macrumors newbie

I bought a Macbook Pro for my daughter's Christmas gift. She enjoyed it for less than a month before it was stolen. We traveled to Houston. My wife and I were unpacking our bags at the hotel. We inadvertantly left her computer, which was in a case and in her zipped backpack on the floorboard, locked in the car. I went down a little later to get it and found that our door had been screwdrivered into. The glove box and in between the seats had been gone through and the computer was missing from the backpack. We contacted the police who came out and filed a report. I was on ebay later in the week and found a macbook pro that had sold on a three day auction by a seller with single digit feedback, no sales in ther last year and he specifically mentioned that there would be no refunds, listed it as a new laptop in excellent condition, unfortunately there was no box, but he did have the original cord and a case identical to the one that was stiolen from our car. I have contacted the police, ebay, the insurance company, and am waiting to hear something back. I hope the police officer is able to talk to ebay to get the information about the seller and buyer to see if the serial numbers match. What else can I do? We had no type of anti theft on the mac, only a basic password put on by my daughter.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Did she have "Find My Mac" turned on? If so, then try to "find" it by logging on to iCloud. If it is on, then you can remote erase it. That way, if someone attempts to connect to the Internet, it will erase.

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

You should have the serial number to your new MBP; ask the ebay seller or ask ebay to get the serial number of the one for sale; match them up? I am guessing the seller will just take the ad down, but then again, it is possible the one for sale is not yours.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Circumstantial....you have no proof that is your computer.

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Unless the serial numbers are the same that is far from circumstantial, he's acting on a hunch and a long shot but if it weren't for those there would be no crimes solved in this country

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Obviously.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

On a side note, there is nothing wrong with circumstantial evidence. It is used in court cases countless times every day.

Imagine that you wake up one day and notice that the roof on your house has collapsed. You look outside the window and see that 12 inches of snow have fallen. You surmise that the roof collapsed under the snow. That's "circumstantial evidence."

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Which drives you to form a hypothesis, which must be proven.

9. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

Lowlifes.
    I know how you feel.
    All the best of luck to the recovery.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Nonetheless, circumstantial evidence is still valid. "Direct" evidence isn't absolute. An eyewitness could be biased as to what he actually saw.

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

1. Ignore the rude responses in this thread.

2. Check with your automobile insurance agent. If the system is not recovered by the police (I would say that you'd be lucky if it is), you may be covered under your insurance policy, and could get a new one for your daughter to replace the one that was stolen.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Just trying to help the thread put it in proper perspective.

13. marc11, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

marc11 macrumors 68000

You cannot say to a court the seller is selling a computer similar to his with a similar case cover, of which 100,000's of not millions of been sold and expect the court not to laugh you out.

You cannot expect to get a warrant or otherwise to search this guys place based on a picture of an ebay ad for a computer that looks similar, again of which 100,000's have been sold. That is like me searching ebay and finding someone selling the same truck I have, and then calling the cops and saying he stole it because the year, make and model happen to be the same, nevermind the fact that there could be 500 of them for sale all over the place just like it.

In this case, the only way is direct evidence.

14. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I suggest you put the "Prey Project" on your Mac when you get it back.
    Similar to find my Mac/iPhone but better.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Please keep us posted. Hopefully you get this back.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/stolen.html

16. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

I'm about to receive my Retina and PREY LOOKS SO AMAZING.

17. Ccrew macrumors 68020

18. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

19. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

20. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Auto Insurance might cover a couple hundred for non-bolted items. Otherwise you go through Home Owners for loose items in vehicles. This has been my experience with every Auto Insurance I've had. Between my Wrangler and 9-3, I've had 4 different thefts of personal items from my vehicles - both bolted items and loose items.

21. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Depends on which insurance company it is, and what your policy covers.

22. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I suppose but I've had:

Ameriprise
    State Farm
    SafeCo

All told me the same thing when I called them - home owners covers loose items, we don't. The one exception was Ameriprise who had an option for up to $200, no deductible.

23. kiulo macrumors newbie

macbook pro stolen

I lost my Macbook Pro recently. I had activated iCloud on the computer, so Find My Mac is operable.

If the thief wipes the hard drive, and installs a fresh operating system, OSX Lion or Leopard, for example, then will I still be able to locate my device??

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope. That would wipe your iCloud account, which is what Find My Mac uses. Sorry. :(

25. kiulo macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply,
    But If my Icloud account is registered with Apple ,means my serial no, of the macbook is registered with my icloud account,in this case even if the new OS is installed,can not Apple locate the device by serail no.?