Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Sucks. A good reminder of why backups are important (stolen sucks, but he could have had a hard drive crash or a liquid spill, etc, just as easily). It is gone forever, though, and the hard drive is likely wiped already.

I would have more sympathy if he didn't use ALL CAPS in the eBay listing.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Why is there bidding? Are we suppose to be paying this guy to get his machine back? I don't get this.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Thousands of academic papers - my life's work? How old is this guy?

I hope the thief helps out and the guy at least gets his files back.

1000 pounds is probably more than he'll get from a pawn shop.

Snowbound

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
What a fail. No backups is such a bad call for something so important. I second the all caps comment. How annoying is reading all caps...

Mhmm

macrumors member
May 1, 2009
México
There's always the chance this is a scam.

The guy offers a reward for the machine, and puts it up for sale at a lower price than the reward; some poor guy thinks he'll make a quick buck, and buys it, then the reward disappears.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Whats the point of not even posting the serial number. Oh well.

All he can do is post it to PowerMax but I doubt his files are still on the machine anymore. Its already been nuked and rebuilt by the new buyer :cool:

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
My favorite part:
ALTERNATIVELY, IF YOU ARE THE PEOPLE WHO STOLE THIS, PLEASE RETURN IT, THERE WILL BE NO QUESTIONS ASKED - AND YOU STILL GET THE REWARD. I'M SURE YOU CAN WORK OUT HOW TO MANAGE THIS SINCE YOU WORKED OUT HOW TO STEAL IT. AT THE VERY LEAST, BURN ME A DVD COPY OF THE CONTENTS OF THE 2 FOLDERS ON THE DESKTOP AND POST IT TO ME OR PUT IT UNDER MY DOOR OR IN MY MAILBOX (APARTMENT N - YOU KNOW THE ADDRESS). THE LAST 2 DIGITS OF MY POSTCODE ARE (PURPOSELY) NOT CORRECT BELOW SO PLEASE DON'T RETURN IT THERE !

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Seems like a desperate man. Maybe something on that MB he doesnt want the world to see;
I am not buying this 'life's work' story......you would surely have that backed up.
No...no....I reckon there is something on that machine that will cause 'discomfort' if found by others:p

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
It is shocking how many "really smart people" don't backup their "really important files".

I work for a security software company and have heard stories of CTOs and architects at VERY large companies losing their passwords to their encrypted drives and then not having any backups. They are desperate to get back software/hardware designs, patent works, product roadmaps, etc... It is ridiculous to think things like this aren't protected against the unthinkable.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I feel bad for this person if it is true. I don't know how the laptop could have been stolen, but I know that would probably never happen to me- someone stealing my laptop. :apple:

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
You guys are questioning the guy because he didn't backup. Whoever stole his laptop, could have stolen his time capsule, external drives, or even DVDs!

Well he should hide his back up dvds or usb stick in the toilet cistern then.:D

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
ugh i hate PEOPLE THAT ONLY WRITE IN CAPPS.
or ThIs KiNd Of WrItNg, which i have no idea how people type like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.