stolen MBP, i know who did it ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AYS, Jan 15, 2012.

1. AYS macrumors newbie

I know where they live and how to get on their LAN. Is it possible then to either prove it is in the house I know its in OR put something on the computer to force it to need servicing without physically touching the computer. No, I do have tracking software installed. I do have its serial number.
    Help?

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

You can't add any software to your MacBook Pro once it's stolen. Anti-theft/Recovery applications need to be added to your MBP while you still have it.

Your best bet is to call your local Police and explain to them the situation. They're probably your best way of recovering your MacBook Pro.

Hacking into their network is a crime itself. Last thing you want is yourself being arrested.

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Are you planning on forcing them to get it serviced and then mugging them on the way out? Otherwise I have no idea what the plan is. Just tell the fuzz.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only option I know of is that you call the police. You can't break into his house, and it may not be advisable to confront him.

5. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

try and find something to show to the police proving it is yours. because if they have it and you have no proof that its yours then there is no case. the world sucks like that, look at OJ Simpson. If they have it i would assume a smart person reinstalled everything from scratch. so find something with the serial number on it or something external to prove beyond a reasonable doubt upon first glance, that it is yours. then let the 5-0 busta cap! word.

6. AYS thread starter macrumors newbie

I have my receipt and SN to prove ownership. I need to prove to the police he has it. Anything I can do with the resources I have to do so?

7. Papanate macrumors regular

Normal people call the police and get them to recover the laptop.
    I have a hard time believing your intent is to recover a laptop.

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

is the sn on the receipt?

Do you have find my mac installed and activated?
    That way you could lock it from the distance,if you don't have a password on it already.

Also explain the situation to your local police and they will give you more options than we can right now in a forum as every situation is different.

9. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

How do you "know who did it?" Thinking of whatever evidence you think you have - is it likely that the police will believe you and think it strong enough to take action? Because if not, you may be out of luck. And if you accuse somebody of stealing your stuff and the police question them, you may have issues whether they did it or not.

10. chillfrilla macrumors member

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

How about a knock on the door with a baseball bat?

Seriously though, just call the police.

12. kingshoc macrumors newbie

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think having a receipt with a S/N on it proves anything. If I was the other guy I would just say you sold it to him in cash transaction and then it would be your word against his.

Anyways I would call the police if you are sure you can prove ownership.

14. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

just remember when you call the police a report will be made. so if nothing happens or things dont go your way and you do something after the report is made, it can be used against you.

honestly i would confront them, professionally and straight to the point. be careful and if you are short tempered just let the police handle it. dont try to beat around the bush, that never solves anything. if you think a situation or problem would arise if you do confront them, then let law enforcement handle it before it gets out of hand.

someone stole my watch once, and after i beat it out of them i showed them my name and phone number which i put into the watch when i got it. great feeling, and i still wear it.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the police need a warrant to enter the house ... the guy could just tell the cops when they knock ... nope, no laptop here.

16. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Actually here's a better idea. If your router has logs it might record the MAC address of devices connected to it. Find the logs showing your computer connecting to the router around the same day you bought it from the receipt. Then get into their network, like you claim you already have, and show that same MAC address is on their local network. SWAT will be on them in no time.

17. WRP macrumors 6502a

My house was burglarized last year. One of the first things the reporting detective asked me was if I had any suspects and if I did where I could find them. This isn't like a stolen bike. This is a computer and if you can say "I am 99% sure this cat at xxxx address stole it", you have a better chance of getting it back. Keep checking craigslist too so they don't sell it out from under you before you get it back.

If all that fails?

[​IMG]

18. bdodds1985, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

no no no.. go with a metal one.
    [​IMG]
    see, its hollow so it should only do half the damage. :rolleyes:see my eyes, roll em!

19. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

A suggestion first: look at craigslist and other similar websites.
    If you find a computer similar to yours and the seller specifies an approximate location (a stupid move), tell them you're interested. Useless to say bring a friend or two.

Now a couple of questions...
    1- In which circumstances was the computer stolen? Can you prove "they" were in that place, at that moment and can anyone testify it?

2- Have you had any problems with "them" recently? Are they considered good citizens (meaning have the police suspects regarding other crimes that you are aware of)?

20. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

If I knew who did it id just take a couple friends and go down there to get it back. I wouldn't worry about the cops doing anything to me. There pretty lenient around here. If people only get 7 years for murder, than I surely wouldn't get anything for retrieving MY item back.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Personally I think you're out of luck. The cops aren't going to get a warrant if you don't have solid proof, which you don't seem to have.

22. mikeyg36 macrumors member

No No No... Go with a golf club. More force to a smaller area.;)

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... old fashioned Louisville slugger ... been used for generations

the Louisville Slugger Museum :D

Attached Files:

24. maliu macrumors 6502a

Have you already reported it stolen? That's the first thing I would do. Otherwise the police probably won't be interested in helping.

25. eric/ Guest

eric/

Call the police and explain. They have to investigate. You have the receipt and SN. It's game over, just call.