Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theryesider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Glasgow
Son lost his iPhone on holiday in Tenerife just there (stolen in a bar he thinks), now turned off.
Although he had his watch on it never alerted, (mine does not either in work when left at my desk in work) .
So they nab the phone, take the sim out and then able to turn phone off to stop you tracking it, surely to turn the phone off you should need the code?
His insurance already got him a new one so no real harm done, nightshift this week so going to play sound at 2 in the morning hope it still works.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Son lost his iPhone on holiday in Tenerife just there (stolen in a bar he thinks), now turned off.
Although he had his watch on it never alerted, (mine does not either in work when left at my desk in work) .
So they nab the phone, take the sim out and then able to turn phone off to stop you tracking it, surely to turn the phone off you should need the code?
His insurance already got him a new one so no real harm done, nightshift this week so going to play sound at 2 in the morning hope it still works.
There is no requirement to shut the phone off from the lockscreen. They will need a passcode if they turn it on again to access the device, assuming he had a passcode set and Face ID on. If they manage to hook it up and restore it then they'll need your son's Apple ID credentials - assuming your son was logged in before the device was stolen.

Depending on what security your son set up and whether this was a crime of opportunity or not will determine how easy it will be to get access to your son's data. Most likely the phone will just get sold as 'Activation Locked' and/or for parts.

Reactions: Theryesider

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Ok, your question is? At any point, if the phone is turned on with another SIM card it will connect to iCloud. Also, should they try to restore it, it will become locked.

They might use it for parts, but that's only certain parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.