Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I'm in Los Angeles. iPad is still showing up. I'm considering posting a pic of the map for you guys. I'm having trouble hitting the wipe button and letting him get away with it.

Dad called home owner's insurance and he has a $500 deductible. Lesson learned!

Well don't risk your life over the thing. I'd be pissed too, but not that pissed.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm in Los Angeles. iPad is still showing up. I'm considering posting a pic of the map for you guys. I'm having trouble hitting the wipe button and letting him get away with it.

Dad called home owner's insurance and he has a $500 deductible. Lesson learned!

Check to see if he can schedule the next iPad in and then get a lower deductible. Also, was it paid by credit card? Your CC may have some sort of coverage for theft.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
BE VERY CAREFUL about attempting to retrieve it yourself!

I left my iPhone at the Valley Village Post Office and Find your iPhone told me it was at a single family residence about two blocks away.

As I was considering (foolishly!) to go to that address and demand it back, I refreshed the screen and the pointer on the map moved back over the Post Office (which is where I found it on Monday, still sitting on the self-service machine where I left it on Friday!)

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
The iPad and iPhone need "remote self-destruct" commands. Send the command and a confirmation, and the device fizzles into a useless paperweight. It could emit lots of smoke too, just to spite the blight to society who stole it.

The onboard Li-Poly battery has more than enough juice to power this self destruction!

Thieves will be much less willing to steal these devices if shortly after they combust into worthless scrap! :)

Don't forget the blue dye pack ...

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
OP, keep tracking the device if possible. It likely isn't going to stay at the apartment forever. You might be able to get it back some other way. For example, they might drive to somewhere else with it, such as a restaurant, which might allow you to narrow the location down. The police most certainly would do something if they had the exact address. Hopefully you get something from all of this!

Last edited by a moderator:

BustedVisaCard

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
I'd message it with $250 cash.

Then again, I deal with these type of people daily. If you're a twig, foget about it.

Regardless, $250 is less than $500. That is, if the criminal is dumb enough to even go for the bite....

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
If the ipad has a passlock on it, what would the benefit of wiping it be to you? I only see that as taking the thief's currently useless ipad and making it new for him. Unless you think they will guess the password, but I dont think many would believe that as realistic.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
Can you make a claim on your auto insurance for the iPad ? My auto insurance will pay for anything stolen out of a locked car.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I don't see the need for your sarcasm actually. Most pd's take residential and auto burgs seriously. While I do agree a patrol officer probably won't put in much time here an investigative unit will look at yr losses and if serials are provided enter them. Also pawn shops in most states are required to open their receipt books for LE inspection. This is a fairly routine practice and a very very common way leads are developed, dirtbags arrested, burglaries cases cleared, and importantly to crime victim some property returned.

Sheesh.

/end your education

Absolutely not true. The cops here won't even come out to take a report for a car that has been broken into an unless you know who did it they don't do anything. You can file a report online.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Changing this as I better understand your Question. Maybe someone has an open wifi signal nearby?

This is the one thing I still can't understand. Even if there are open WiFi signals nearby, iOS makes you select the network name before joining it. If the iPad is locked, how is it even connecting to WiFi, in order to give off its location?

Is that even possible??? :confused:

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
This is the one thing I still can't understand. Even if there are open WiFi signals nearby, iOS makes you select the network name before joining it. If the iPad is locked, how is it even connecting to WiFi, in order to give off its location?

Could be connecting to an AT&T wifi. My iPad and iPhone automatically connected to it first time I ever walked into a Starbucks with it. Or whenever I walk by an AT&T store.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Absolutely not true. The cops here won't even come out to take a report for a car that has been broken into an unless you know who did it they don't do anything. You can file a report online.

I work in a major west coast city and we (and most area departments) will send a unit if a suspect is present, known, or there are reasonable leads for initial follow-up. Otherwise they will send a CSO (community service officer) to take the cold paper. The victim has an option to file the report electronically in some situations. In any case, my post is dead on accurate, specifically where it pertains to developing leads from pawn shops and how such cases get some resolution and some property returned.

In the very least the serial of the iPad needs entered into the local ASP system.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown

This is speculation, but I believe that a wifi signal only has to be present to determine location. The iPad will pickup wifi signals, which would include IP and location information. The user doesn't need the password to pick up a wifi signal. The user needs a password to make use of the detected wifi networks.

I suggest this because a few weeks ago I was not connected to a wifi network, yet Maps was still able to determine my location. My only explanation was that, although i was not connected to any, there were 3-4 networks being detected.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've resigned myself to the fact that if my iPad is *stolen*, the only thing Find My iPhone (iPad) will do for me is wipe the device - if the thief doesn't do it first by himself by trying to enter the pass code more than 10 times (mine is set to wipe after 10 attempts).

As long as the data is safe (destroyed)...the data, which is backed up on to a 50GB iCloud account, is worth more than the iPad itself.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You might as well give up if it wasn't in a single family home... Same thing happened to my iPhone in February that I paid over $900 for (64gb unlocked) and there wasn't anything I or the cops could do.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Set up a lemonade stand in front of the complex. Underneath your lemonade prices (you must sell lemonade to appear legitimate), write: "I also buy stolen iPads."

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
The iPad and iPhone need "remote self-destruct" commands. Send the command and a confirmation, and the device fizzles into a useless paperweight. It could emit lots of smoke too, just to spite the blight to society who stole it.

The onboard Li-Poly battery has more than enough juice to power this self destruction!

Thieves will be much less willing to steal these devices if shortly after they combust into worthless scrap! :)

I Just have to say, I love your profile picture.

And the self-destruct option is something Apple should consider. :D

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012

Forget about fizzing out, I prefer the James Bond car alarm system - the car explodes if you try to steal it / break in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.