Stop Crying

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lindsford, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Lindsford, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

Lindsford macrumors 6502a

It's a minor spec bump. Big deal, go ahead and tell me it has a 2x faster CPU. Cool, but what's that really amount to in Real-World usage for what the majority of you actually use your iPad for? My 3rd gen works just fine. I'm glad they updated it with the new dock connectors. It needed to be done. Like it or not. What better time than before the holidays where people buy a ton of them. It's a good move. Angry Birds and Safari will still work on your iPad 3. Videos will look just as good as before, and the world will keep turning.

2. KimMelton661 macrumors 6502

THANK YOU. How many threads need to be started?! I should have known though.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

For apples profits. Bad move for the consumers.

4. Lindsford thread starter macrumors 6502a

How is it bad for consumers? Please elaborate

5. vish26 macrumors regular

What about if Someone missed the Facetime HD sorely !! What is the replacement ? substitute for that on the iPad-3 ? My Friend ? Do you have answer for that :(

6. Reser macrumors 6502

When will you idiots realise it is NOTHING to do with the spec bump, it is the fact that it dramatically devalues something that we just bought.

When I buy an iPad I sell it when the next one comes out so I pay about £100 for the upgrade.

Now if I choose to wait till iPad 5 it will cost me £200-£300 to upgrade due to the devaluation, if I upgrade now I am paying out money just 6 months after for slightley better specs. Either way I am ****ed.

7. KimMelton661 macrumors 6502

I do understand that, which really sucks.

8. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Welcome to the world [of consumer electronics]. :rolleyes:

9. Skika macrumors 68030

Apple hurt their feelings made a buu buu and now they cry cry because their toy isnt the newest one :(.

10. Reser macrumors 6502

Er no because until today we could expect a 1 year life cycle for our money.

This is not how it has "always been" it has always been a 1 year refresh. So dont give me this snarky **** .

11. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

I thought innovation was good for consumers?

12. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

A little exercise for you. Go buy a car, drive it around the block, and come back and ask for a complete refund.

13. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

If only a minor spec bump. The 3rd-gen will retain better value against the 4th-gen than the 2nd-gen did. Yeah, it won't be a $100 upgrade next time, but it's not like the 3rd-gen stopped working today.

14. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

You act like your iPad doesn't work any more. If you're really that upset, sell your 3rd gen and buy the 4th.

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Please don't by manufactured goods of any sort because of value retained for resale. By them for the value you get from using the product and only that.

16. Lindsford thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't buy things to resell them. Though being able to cycle through Apple products easily has made upgrading more often a reality for me. If its that big of a deal to you sell it. And upgrade. No one is forcing you to buy the new one it doesn't really do anything that your current one can't. It just does it better. If you upgrade now, In 6-12 months you're gonna be "outdated" again. It's how technology works.

17. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Link.

18. Reser, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

Reser macrumors 6502

Once again this is nothing about ****ing specs.

This is the scenario

March 2011 - Buy iPad £569

March 2012 - sell iPad - £469 Buy new iPad £569

Now instead I can either

October 2012- Sell iPad £469 - Buy iPad - £569 - Down at least £100 after only 6 months of owning

or October 2013 - Sell iPad - £269-369 - Buy iPad - £569 - Down £100-£200 more than usual

Meaning I am either down £100 now or Down £100-£200 next time I upgrade compared to how I would have been if the upgrade was in March.

By devaluing the iPad now, I now have to spend out more then I would have if they had just waited 6 bloody months.

Once again I do not give a **** about being "outdated" I would gladly keep my current iPad, but now I am in a situation if I do keep it it will cost me EXTRA to upgrade down the line. Which is more money out of my pocket.

And whether I sell it now or next year I am now out at least £100 more than I would have been if they had waited till March.

19. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yikes what kind of trouble were you going through to resale Apple products at such a high price before?...maybe is a VAT or currency thing, that makes resale such a deal in the UK.

Don't upgrade every year or pay more to do it i guess.

Personally getting any high resale value out of my old stuff is too much trouble, ebay, craigslist is too much time and headache. Gazelle is my new go to and they just offered me $350 for my 64B LTE iPad 3 :D I can only pass so much stuff down to family members.

20. Reser macrumors 6502

In the UK getting 70-80% value on Apple products (Before/as they are replaced) is easy street. I sold my iPhone 4S for £305 to a recycle store who buy everything offered.

21. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

But regardless you're down £100, so if you upgrade and keep it for another year you would be in the same situation you would be in 5 months from now, probably even worse f you consider the fact that more people are willing to buy iPads around the holidays.

22. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

This resonated with me a bit.

I do still love my iPad and it was a great gift from my family. I planned on keeping this for awhile, and still do. I'm sure the A6X will be nice and awesome and super fast.

For me, part of the value comes from the gift, it's sentimental, it was my first real Apple product and I use it constantly to read and learn new stuff. I'm going back to school and its really helped me get back up to speed. Not to mention all the day in/ day out work stuff, apps, etc. (especially iPhoto too, with the camera kit)

At first I felt a bit like you did, this morning it was worth more than it is now, now I feel like as long as I keep using it as much as I do and it can continue to run the apps I use for the next while then I'm all good. The value for me will come from what I can do with it. While fiscally it is now worth less, the more I use it the more it will be worth to me, in terms of time, knowledge, productivity and convenience.

23. Lindsford thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still don't understand. Either way you'd be upgrading to a new one and selling your old one. And losing money. You may have lost more money but you will have much longer ownership if they stay on the October cycle.

Take a deep breath. It'll be ok.

24. Reser macrumors 6502

Ok to make it easier for you.

If they had updated in March

I would have had my iPad a year. my old iPad would sell for around £469, and it would cost me around £100 to upgrade.

Now I either have to pay £100 to upgrade after just 6-7 months, OR I wait till the next upgrade by which pont my iPad will be worth about £100-£200 less then it would have been worth if they had not just upgraded it. So it will then cost me £200-£300 to upgrade instead of the USUAL £100.

Meaning I would be out an 'extra' £100-£200 in the 'SAME' time period I usually am only out £100. Hence I am now down money about £100-£200 to be exact.