STOP the crazy iPhone 4 media mis-information!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by panzer06, Jul 14, 2010.

1. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I hardly ever create a thread but this hysteria in the media around the iPhone 4 antenna has gotten completely out of hand.

Yesterday's Consumer Reports announcement was bad enough, suggesting the phone just doesn't work when clearly millions of users are using the phone without issues. Whether it's because they have a case or the user doesn't conduct as well as others, there are countless happy iPhone 4 customers. Then the ridiculous duct tape suggestion and then this morning it just got worse.

On CBS Atlanta WGCL 46 they reported the story as Apple actually recommending duct tape as a solution. They went on to suggest a recall was inevitable and continued to perpetuate the mis-information that everyone who bought one wasted $400. No fact checking, just hyperbole.

I've never owned a Blackberry or iPhone without buying a case, NEVER. It's too easy to drop, scuff, or nick the phone without one. So of course I don't have a problem with my phone. This entire issue has become a PR nightmare with the press salivating for a chance to report on any bit of negative iPhone information.

I am far from an Apple apologist and call them to task whenever they make dumb moves. This problem is serious but not Apple's apocalypse! Steve's short missives sometimes don't help. The early note about not holding the phone that way was ill-advised but let's at least get the facts straight.

The iPhone 4 is a great device and performs much faster on many tasks than my 3GS. A few older Apps are slower but I have nothing but praise for the clarity of the screen and it's overall speedy performance. I'm sure little iOS4 bugs will crop up and be corrected but let's be realistic about the reporting. The current media hysteria is unwarranted.

Cheers,

2. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

Your word is golden, but you're telling the wrong people. You should e-mail this to the people who write the stories and the people who probably WILL write the stories soon.

-- :)

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They didn't say it doesn't work. They said they couldn't recommend it because there is a problem with reception due to the design of the antenna which can cause problems if you hold it so you are touching the lower left corner. Which is true.

And you've got the cheek to complain about bad reporting. :rolleyes:

4. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

This is the same media which Apple uses to hype up there products and create a sensational buzz. Now that the media has turned on them, you are getting frustrated about it??

At the end of the day Media is in the business to make money. They will report anything that attracts viewers. iPhone attracts viewers, a large number of viewers. So they are going to go with the stories. SIMPLE!

If you are happy with you product, then don't let them bother you! Just continue to enjoy it!

5. panzer06 thread starter macrumors 68030

panzer06

True (except some people do not have a problem even using the naked device), but not recommending it and suggesting duct tape implies the devices is sufficiently dysfunctional to be unusable without sticky counter-measures. :)

It was the local news that really got me! Five minutes of bad info. grrr!

Cheers,

6. xcrunner macrumors regular

Sometimes I feel like I'm reading an Onion parody around here. So many Apple fans here rave about the design and beauty of the iPhone and this revision and now that there's an issue suddenly you're all INSISTING we just put a crappy case on it? Really? Then what's the f'ng point? Just ridiculous the lengths some of you apologists will go to. Every company makes mistakes - stop trying to rationalize every single one Apple makes as a non-issue or even something that's BETTER for us. Makes me sick.

7. fender57 macrumors 6502

Yesterday, with all the hype surrounding the Consumer Reports article, I decided to forgo the bumper and start using the iPhone without the case. Even though I can replicate the death grip issue if I want, so far in real life usage this has not been an issue.

8. panzer06 thread starter macrumors 68030

panzer06

No one is saying you have to use a case. If you are impacted by the issue and want to use the phone naked you are free to do so. If the device does not function for you sans case, you may return it and use a different phone until the issue is resolved. We all have choices and for millions of iPhone4 customers the phone works for them. When the problems are resolved it will work for those who choose to pass.

I'm just saying let's get the story right before you report it.

Cheers,

9. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

The media is doing what the media always, making a buck on the misfortune of someone else. It's not "crazy" and it's not "misinformation". Last month it was BP, this month it's Apple. So what? In addition, just because Apple doesn't have the guts to admit the phone has a problem doesn't mean it's problem free. Consumer Reports says it has a problem, anyone with any decent test equipment can tell is has a problem and putting it in a case isn't a solution. I maintain that had Jobs acted like a human being that cared at all about his customers, this wouldn't be such a huge issue. A few people might be pissed, but you wouldn't have the hysteria and large numbers of furious customers. But god forbid Jobs should stoop to the level of Apple customers and he drags the entire company down with him. Personally, I don't think they're getting what they deserve yet. That will come when future sales don't meet expectations because people don't want to roll the dice on Apple again. This isn't the first I've been burned by Apple. The Macbook Pro had all kinds of problems Apple denied while replacing motherboards and replacing entire units. It seems to be part of the company's culture to cut corners and then lie about it when caught and here we thought we paid a premium for Apple products because they were held to a higher standard, built with quality in mind and given better support.

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The iPhone 4 is indeed a great device overall, but it is substandard, at best, as a telephone. For years people have assumed AT&T's network was to blame, but I really don't see how someone can logically come to that conclusion anymore. The eye opening side to this whole mess is not that the iPhone 4 is a mistake for Apple....it is that Apple has been the problem for a couple of years now and have yet to figure out how to mix style and substance into a fully functional device.

The fact that, despite the flaws, people are still gobbling up this phone at a record pace just screams to the tremendous job Apple has done over the years of marketing and building up their user base. But they really spit in the face of all of their consumers when they try to say that all of the issues are software based and that a math error in the calculation of signal strength is the real problem. By proxy there all they are doing is admitting that their revolutionary antenna system on this thing is no better than what was on previous generations of the iPhone....which weren't any good either.

11. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Apple brought this on their self. Their lack of an honest response and fix has built frustration and now the voices are getting louder. Sure the reports may be amiss but that's what happens when a company hides and denies because they are afraid of what it will do to the bottom line.

I personally am waiting for the FTC to get involved and see if that gets Apple off their butts.

12. panzer06 thread starter macrumors 68030

panzer06

I agree that Steve's arrogance has gotten a bit much lately. This issue and his insistence on denying Blu-ray are just two recent examples.

This is very true. See this post.

I am quite sure the problems are well beyond AT&T. I do tire of switching to EDGE only to keep from getting dropped calls. I've only had this new version a couple of days so I'll do a bit more testing to see if its any better than the 3GS with making calls on 3G.

It's still an awesome device. I can do so much more with it than my old Blackberry and Windows Mobile phones. Now I just need iWork or Mobile Office and my work device would be complete.

Cheers,

13. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I agree. Now that Apple is focusing on widespread consumer devices, they will get criticized, justifiably, by the device fans, but they may not necessarily be Apple fans.

14. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Oh the Emperors new clothes are wonderful! Maybe a liitle crease here or fold there that needs attention but on the whole amazing!

15. chromey macrumors member

They need to start reporting about the proximity sensor issue instead. The death grip doesn't affect me, but I'm sure as hell tired of randomly changing my ringtone, putting people on speaker phone and then simultaneously requesting facetime connection with someone who doesn't have an iPhone all while talking to someone.

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Yes, it is rather curious that the folks here are all for the media hyping up Apple releases and creating a buzz for the company, but let Apple royally screw up once, and now the same people want to put a muzzle on the media. You can't have it both ways.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Yes - the same people would be posting link and mocking the same if it was happening with any other phone other than the iPhone too. As you said - can't have it both ways.

18. davyreins macrumors 6502

Its been mentioned that some people don't have this signal issue with their iPhone 4; is this only because they live in an area that has great signal strength? If so, then it seems like they still have the issue, it's just not apparent. If they travel to an area with a weaker signal then they will start to have the issue.

If they never had the issue, even in a weak signal area, then it seems this could only be because: a) they arean't holding the phone in the way that replicates the signal drop or b) their iPhone's hardware is different and isn't susceptible to signal dropping (seems very unlikely).

Am I missing something?

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not seeing too much misinformation. Yeah people are jumping on the anti-apple bandwagon, but to be honest. I'd say apple is deserving this. If they only addressed this situation head on, instead of Jobs coyly stating that your holding it wrong, and then saying its not hardware but software. They'd probably fare better.

Apple has a reputation (as does Jobs) to be arrogant. I don't know too many people who like arrogance in a person (or a corporation). Putting out a device that not only fails to live up to the billing of improved reception, but actually have worse reception and continue the arrogance, is going to have a lot of people come out of the wood work against them.

20. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

No to minimize the problem but the proximity detector issue isn't a "big deal" because it's a software issue. It can be fixed with a software update. It's a pain in the ass, to be sure, but it's not going to cost Apple billions in repairs and reputation. This in contrast to the antenna problem which can't be fixed without at least replacing the metal band around the phone, the more likely scenerio being a complete phone replacement. That causes a lot more pain for the consumer and Apple than a software issue such as the prox detector or some math formula used to display reception bars universally acknowledged to be of dubious value at best.

21. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

its just that they don't know what they are talking about there just reporting it, its not a big story so they don't care as much of truth of it and yada yada yada. this is all i care about but it never happens but its not a big concern of mine, this just means more iphones for us.

22. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Excellent point.

As I've said in other posts, perception is reality. These stories are EXACTLY why Apple need to get their arms around this problem. It doesn't matter anymore what is "true" and what is "false". The public perception train has begun rolling and it is very hard to stop or reverse that train once it gains momentum.

Live by the sword (media) die by the sword (media).

23. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Stopping the misinformation is hard enough, but the silence from Apple is deafening.

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, I hate the media, period.

25. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

The other thing Apple is missing is every hour that goes by without a plausible explanation and plan of attack from apple is an hour where a roomful of marketing people from other cellphone manufacturers and carriers work furiously to capitalize on the phone's problem and Apple's paralysis. Apple was already trying to counter intense competition from Android and Windows Mobile 7 is due to be released in the fall. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the real "iPhone killer" is Apple and this is pretty much how I envisioned them killing it.