Stop the fanboyism, please!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Feb 2, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Lately, I've noticed what seems to be an increased amount of fanboyism on this site, as well as a bunch of anti-Microsoft posts that serve no purpose other than to bash the company. To be honest, I think stuff like this makes Apple users as a whole look bad and basically confirms every stereotype you've ever heard about Apple users. And, it looks really childish too. You guys probably don't like Windows fanboys who say Macs suck with absolutely nothing to back up that claim, and we shouldn't be doing the same. Don't bring yourselves down to their level.

Anyone else agree?

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I do it as a joke but I really don't mean it. I'll knock it down a notch.:eek:

Microsoft sux (obligatory joke):p

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Honestly, I haven't noticed an increase, although I agree with your sentiments.

4. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

well PC users think that they are all that (no offence to people that use one on here) so we fight back they just wont admit that the Mac is best

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

No, you're not fighting back, you're bringing themselves down to their level and making yourself and the rest of us look like we're 5 years old when you "fight back"

And most Windows users don't think they're all that....I know a TON of Windows users who don't think they're all that, in fact, I don't know any who think that. Every now and then, my friends and coworkers will crack a joke about me being a Mac user and I'll make one about them being a Windows user, but it's all in good fun and none of us are serious. And they don't think they're any better than me and I don't think the same. Some people seem to take it way too far. It's a freaking operating system, it's perhaps the dumbest thing to fight over.

6. McGiord, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

yg17:

Please explain your avatar, is that a Windows W ????

If so I like it...:D
    ________
    starcraft replays

7. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

Well I guess then that the Mac is critized and they cricize us too

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, it's another W who also knows a thing or two about starting wars for no good reason ;)

9. v-ault macrumors regular

I use Macs because of the superior operating system. The second Microsoft actually produces a better operating system will be the second I switch.

My loyalties lie with who makes the better product.

10. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being loyal....it's when you're loyal to the point that you're posting crap like "OMG MACS RULE MICROSUCK SUX!!!11111" is when loyalty becomes a problem ;)

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Heh. Just noticed the irony between my last post and my avatar.
    ...I guess a small level of fanboyism is OK. ;)

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Impossible, as hard to stop as acid flashbacks.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You guys have been making way too many threads that just scream for a good monologue. You're wearing me out.

14. v-ault macrumors regular

Well, it's wrong to be loyal to a company with an inferior product, IMO. I just get what I feel is best.

15. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

To be fair, windows users are a bunch of losers.

16. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

And that's fine ;)

Be loyal, just don't be an annoying fanboy

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Did you not read yg17's post? No more bashing of Windows;):p

18. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I wonder how well my username would go over on a PC forum. :p

19. Burgess07 macrumors regular

Burgess07

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

21. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Bill should be happy it was just a pie. Could have been a lot worse.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I hadn't even noticed a whole boatload of Microsoft bashing here lately except where they pretty much deserve it over in the yahoo pickup thread.

But I've noticed a lot of unnecessary trashing of the MacBook Air and that tends to raise the level of fanbois backlash. Some of the Air trashtalk has been from people who wanted a 12" MacBookPro and didn't get it. They are not going quietly and their ongoing bashing I do sort of understand, but some or maybe a whole lot of the rest of it is just from trolls.

When the trolls start up in MacRumors threads then the fanbois backlash won't necessarily be in the threads where the trolls are messing around, it will be anywhere there's a cheap shot to be taken.

Microsoft is a soft target for cheap shots from macfanbois just because of stuff like the environments of viruses in the wild so far and complexity of installation instructions for drivers in Windows vs. plug and play on Mac.

And, c'mon, the whole Vista thing. Apple may yet have its parallel experience sometime, but in the meantime, it's like when my one cat falls asleep and rolls over with soft belly up and the other one sees that and takes the shot because hey, it's there to be taken!

If the moderators were a little stricter about giving trolls AND fanboi overreactors a timeout now and then, maybe all this stuff wouldn't escalate as it does. But that's a tiring job because who would even show up for a politically correct discussion of all things at all times. Might as well read the World Book Encyclopedia. So we tend to let the burden of knowing where the limits are fall on the mods, and when they bear down we've probably long since crossed the line.

Anyway might as well enjoy the ride, because the troll ratio around here is high as a kite lately and (so) the fanbois aren't letting up either.

Me, I'm thinking of getting a really big dog to guard my MacBook Air :)

23. RacerX macrumors 65832

Stop the use of "fanboy", please!

First of all, there is (and never well be) anything wrong with strong advocacy of minority groups no matter where they may exist. Minorities must always speak much louder to be heard and not overlooked. This is a fact of life, and strong advocacy has been the Mac communities strategy for years... and because it has been successful, it has also been adopted by the Linux community as well.

The thing that people who don't know any better (ie, the original poster of this thread) seem to overlook is that it is this strong advocacy of our platform that has kept it around all these years. And while Apple may be on a popularity up swing today, tomorrow may bring us back to times not all that different from the mid-90s.

In other words, don't trust in Apple to always make the right choices, specially for the community. Apple (for all it's friendly feel) is a corporation, and as such is selfish and self-centered, and doesn't care too much about the community of Mac users on the whole beyond getting them to buy products.

So, the question that most people ask is how does this strong advocacy help the community?

Quite simple actually, throughout most of the Macs life it has been a minority platform, and developers of applications will (when all things are equal) develop for what they see as the largest market for their products. Vocal Mac users who complained to developers about slow updates or no updates for applications forced developers to continue writing for the Mac platform back when PC pundits had predicted the end of the platform. The old adage "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" actually works quite well in the computer community.

And the thing is, Mac users aren't the only minority platform that has existed in the computer age... OS/2 had an installation base that rivaled Macs by the mid-90s, but that platform disappeared without so much as a whimper by it's users. In fact, the very lack of a whimper (or any form of platform advocacy) by the users is exactly why it died off.

This is a Mac community site, so if you don't like Mac cheerleaders, maybe you should consider being somewhere else. I don't care for Windows or PCs... and so I don't visit Windows or PC forums. And while majority platforms aren't in any danger of disappearing, I sure wouldn't expect that Windows users in a Windows forum to not advocact what they like amongst themselves.

Actually, the real problem here is not advocacy of Macs, it is people who are new to the platform who think that it only became worthy when they decided to join. And that their previous opinion of Macs and Mac users were completely justified, but now that they are here something magically has transformed the platform.

:rolleyes:

But someone did make a good point about the moderators stepping forward more often... and I firmly believe they should as well. I would think that the use of terms like fanboy (and all it's derivative spellings) should be considered personal attacks and that such terms have no place in civil discussion. So yes, I would like to see moderators restrict or eliminate the use of such derogatory epithets throughout the site.

24. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

While I've always loved my Mac and Apple, and if someone asks me my opinion I'll definitely tell them why I believe in it over a Windows machine, but I also don't think everyone who uses a Windows PC is an idiot. Nor do I find it a good use of my time to try and combat every person who hates Macs/uses Windows and won't want to switch. They're the ones who are going to have to use it, not me :p