Stop the whining! Go get the $20 fix if you have to!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kan-O-Z, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

For those of you so upset about Matte, have you honestly given yourself a fair chance of trying out the glossy display? Please don't say "I've tried them out in the past on some other machine". Not all glossy displays are the same.

I suggest giving the glossy display an unbiased experience on the new MB/MBP. I would be willing to bet that 95% of you will be happy. Please don't use the argument that 'professionals' can ONLY use matte. I have heard from many professionals myself and as long as the screen is calibrated properly, it's very usable. It's surprising how many of you are claiming to be true artists and professionals.....I think many of you are just putting out your opinion and you're not really a true artist/graphics professional.

Remember people don't like change. When we all went to the digital age, there were all kinds of people that to this day still oppose digital media as it's really not as good as analog. No digital camera has the resolution of film. No CD or SACD has the true fidelity of a true analog signal! I've heard of people not buying a discrete amplifier as it doesn't reproduce music as good as a vacuum tube pre-amp! While this may be true, these people that really feel like this are really the minority! This is exactly what you guys sound like.

Guess what else, LCDs aren't as good as CRTs. LCDs have harder time producing true black, they dont have the viewing angles of CRTs, they produce a fuller spectrum of light than LCDs. What do you all have to say about that? Technology changes. Get on with it!

For those of you that just can't seem to get over it, please go out and buy a nice $20 matte, anti-glare film for your MB/MBP. This will make it just like the old MBP. End of story!

Kan-O-Z

2. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

3. skyton macrumors 6502

its not so much the quality - im sure that will be fine
    glass screens are actually better for that

its the reflections that i dont want
    theres a reason professional graphic users used to have hoods on their glass screened monitors!

its just annoying to have to use a third party product to get a pro graphics screen
    and it would have to be a VERY good film for pro use

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I can't stand listing to these old farts complaining about "going glossy". They sound like the grey-beards that said they'd never buy CDs.

To reiterate your point exactly, they all went to matte LCDs fully knowing that they weren't as good as CRTs. I think their opinions are based on that they probably heard 3 years ago that glossy displays were crap. And they were. The junk that the likes of Sony put out 3 years ago was crap. But that was 3 years ago and they are light years ahead now from what they were. So don't be so quick to knock a glossy display just because it is glossy. Have a look at one first.

5. skyton macrumors 6502

ironic...

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

7. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

I can't stand being called ignorant all the time.

It doesn't have ANYTHING to do with antiquated or modern technology, just with what you use your computer for... I'm a developer, and I look at a black background most of the day. On a glossy screen, I would look at myself most of the day. That tires my eyes.

Now if you have white backgrounds most of the time, a bright screen will cover up most reflections. You will have no problem, and probably be happy. (Switching to a white background is not an option for me, though, because I have floaters, and I'd see them fussing around the screen all day.)

So please don't tell me that glossy screens are just better, or that I simply need to get used to them. I don't care if they have better colors or what-not. I just want a screen that's easy on my eyes. The colors and even the black on my matte is more than good enough for me. I just want the choice. Please don't call me a whiner or backwards, just because I'm in a minority. And pleeaase don't tell me I need to look at one first. I paid 1000$ more for a MBP, because the glossy MacBook didn't work for me. Do you really think I haven't at least tried one before spending that kind of money?

And going-forward-in-time is not always the same as progress. Adding a glossy option, that's progress. Limiting choices again? How's that progress? For anyone?

I'm for choice anyway.

8. Logos327 macrumors 6502

There are plenty of reviews saying the quality/brightness of the displays makes the glare issue almost nothing.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think he started a couple already about this topic. Why are people complaining about the complaints about the products? If you are happy, don't complain, let others complain, but why complain about the complaints? ;)

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Look who's whining now... :rolleyes:

11. agbot macrumors regular

I would bet Apple has the same thoughts as the OP. Clearly they have the internal numbers of matte vs. glossy orders, and probably assume that a decent (or large) percentage of those in the matte column will actually be perfectly happy with glossy if they didn't have the option in the first place. There will always be those who will kick and scream if you try to put them in a room with a glossy laptop display, but assuming Apple knows their numbers, it's a tiny percentage.

That being said, it's a lame move on Apple's part to do away with the matte option. I suppose it streamlines manufacture, but if Apple has their heart set on glass there's anti glare / matte glass waiting for them. Why not give people choice?

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

13. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

Well you can't call it whining until I and about 10,000 others start new posts about how much all of you are whining.

I love it. Whiners whining at everything that comes their way. Whining at new products and now......whining at people telling them to stop whining calling them hypocrites....LOL

I suppose anyone involved in any intervention 'must be a hypocrite'....LOL

Kan-O-Z

14. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

15. unclegit macrumors member

The statement that LCD's are not as good as CRT just isn't true any more - I profiled my old CRT (A Lacie Electron Blue IV - a very well respected CRT) against my new NEC 3090 LCD display.

The LCD whomps the old display in every measurable way...

16. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Any recommendations on anti-glare films for the new beasts?

17. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

I'm a professional photographer and am 100% delighted with my glossy LED SR MacBook Pro. When properly hardware calibrated it is so much better than the matte displays and is the only screen of choice when working outdoors in daylight or trackside at a floodlit sports arena. In these scenarios the matte display diffuses and dulls down so much it is near impossible to see an image outdoors at all.

18. jdesign macrumors member

Thanks.. that's nice to hear. went to look at this forum if the new mbp gloss screen is better than last one. i spent 8 hours a day as a graphic designer looking at screens.. was rather sad when matte option is not available.. went to stores to macbook pro (old version ) and macbook air.. but it's too much, i mean the reflection itself is tiring to my eye only after using it like 5 minutes.

so anyone who use matte before and switch to gloss.. would be happy to hear from them.

19. Jaap macrumors member

It's rather easy to assume that all people who prefer matte are old farts who dislike change.
    I have a MacBook Pro (1st gen, matte) and a MacBook Air (1st gen, glossy) and i have to disable the light above my desk @work to work on the glossy Air screen.
    I just can't stand the reflections in the screen.

Call me an old fart that can't handle change but i want a matte screen.
    No stupid glossy screens 4 me.

20. mscofield macrumors member

Some say this glass screen is not the same as the glossy macbook air screen.
    Shouldn't you check it out first before saying stuff like this?

21. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I stopped by the local Apple store to check out the new laptops. I was mostly interested in how the glossy screen looked in real life ... better than I thought. I still find the reflection annoying, but also found that I got used to it the more I played with it. Others may not. But it is a terrific display IMHO. For those who haven't seen it yet, Robin says check it out.

As an aside, I thought the machine was noticeably snappier than my 18 month-old Pro. But not enough for me to upgrade. But I can see why others will want to. The case is fascinating by itself. And the new mousepad is terrific. Intuitive. Keys - personal preference I suppose.

And the new MacBook is also quite nice. A heck of a machine for $1200. Same screen situation.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The glossy isn't super bad, but I wouldn't buy it… well unless I needed a new computer.

23. nauthiz macrumors newbie

I went to the apple store yesterday to check out the new MacBook Pros and I was annoyed by the dark area reflections. I didn't notice the glossy screen when the image being displayed was bright, like when browsing most websites or working in the finder. But when I brought up a dark image (film noir style) it was obvious this display was behind glass. To see the detail I had to cup my hands around my eyes and press my nose to the screen. People keep saying the the bright leds make up for the gloss/refection but not everything you look at is bright.

And all this talk about a 20 dollar fix, well has anyone actually used one of these things on a new MBP? No? Don't make suggestions when you cant back up the talk. Hell it's like saying "Tough luck I scratched in your cars windshield, just stick your head out the window to see. Its all the same." It's not the same.

But apple, Is it really that hard to replace the glass front with treated glass or plexiglass? I mean they already swap in new processors, why cant they cut out a different display cover and inject that into the production line for a little bit. Hell, apple, I would be willing to pay 200$ extra if it meant you ran a small run of matte version Macbook Pros. I dont care if if you color them bright pink ,I would still buy it. I am really worried that if I buy this version that 6 months from now apple will release a brand new feature called "Matte." I remember the first macbook pros dumped firewire 800, I was a little nervous then that they would scrap it forever. Then low and behold it returned in the next version. Could matte function the same way?

Why apple did you have to get rid of the matte option now?! I don't know if i can wait another 9 months to see if matte returns.

24. darkus macrumors regular

I think its a pretty offbase mischaracterisation to say that matte screen users are old farts who are afraid of going to glossy.

I for one have used glossy my whole life and as I developed in my photo/editing/production skills I came to more appreciate differences in screens and went through a series of laptop upgrade (all glossy). My most recent upgrade was to a Matte screen MBP which to date has been by far the best screen of them all.

So IMO i've used glossy screens in various sizes and resolutions and have found that Matte in 15" is my favorite for a laptop and it has nothing to do with "fear" of the glossy screens but rather many years of experience...

On the flipside when I'm simply browsing the web or playing games where I just want to see nice vivid images I prefer glossy every time because they really make colors "pop". But when you are on the other side of the table and have to produce those nice graphics the matte screen is unbeatable because we have to really focus on the details of the image.