Storage is completely messed up.

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by El Padrino, Sep 1, 2014.

1. El Padrino macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just restored my Mac to a fresh version of Yosemite because it was doing this before, but after doing this and installing everything, it has come back.

The problem is that when i check the storage of my Macbook, which is the Retina latest model (think its £1700), it shows completely random figures, as you can see in the picture. But as you can see it does show that only 50GB is being used up; does anyone know how i can fix this so it shows the correct amount being used in each category?

Thanks,
    Gian

Attached Files:

2. Tom Schrier macrumors member

I have the same problem, just a bug! don't worry! ;)

3. El Padrino thread starter macrumors newbie

Will it go in the official release?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm sure Apple will have it corrected in another update and certainly by the public release.

5. RichardMcCoy macrumors newbie

Same problem

I noticed that storage says that I have 2.35 TB of audio, when I only have a 500gb hard drive ...

Attached Files:

6. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

Same has happened to me, although, when I did a search for all movie types, American Reunion (didn't purchase from iTunes) has two versions. But they're in the same place. It depends on how you find it (search or through clicking the folders), but one says it's 1.11 GB, the other says it's 283 GB! Not sure whats going on, they're both exactly the same (same route, same "Get Info" thing etc.), although the large one's "Get Info" pane says it IS 1.11 GB

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Maybe it’s a new feature that apple lets you download more hard disk space, gave you checked with the finder that you are still on 500GB?

9. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Same issue here.

I wonder if forcing Spotlight to re-index might fix it. Or repairing permissions.

10. mmomega, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Trying those 2 options and rebooting in a minute. I'll see if either helps.

---------------------------------

So I started with this (Pic 1 top left)
    tried fixing permissions
    then fix disk
    force reindex (pic 2 top right)
    Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    you'll get asked for password enter it
    then type
    Code:
    sudo mdutil -i on /
    then restart
    after restart (pic 3 bottom left)

back to normal

Attached Files:

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Here are mine with NO rebooting.....

1st one is prior to the two above mentioned methods

2nd one is with repair permission

3rd in the last one using "sudo mdutil -E /"

4th one after rebooting...Which is back to number 1 and 2

Attached Files:

12. mmomega, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I forgot to list in my post that I also typed in 1 other terminal command. This may or may not help but is what I did.
    I also gave my machine a few minutes prior to rebooting, again mileage may vary but my storage did change.
    I'm going to try again on my 2013 MBA and see if anything changes without adding the 2nd code.

My Mac Mini server shows storage accurately, no issues.
    iMac reported wrong. time to check the other machines.

13. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Let me (use) know. Will try it out later. Thanks

14. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I added it to my original post.

15. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

thanks

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

OK, second try with second sudo..

Picture one is prior to second sudo

Second Picture is with both sudo's and a complete reboot

Attached Files:

17. 3282868 macrumors 603

This fixed my SSD boot on my nMac Pro, what about Thunderbolt 2 arrays? It seems two of them are misrepresenting data results.

...and thanks for the help!

18. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Another way I found to do this without using terminal is to:

Open System Preferences
    Go to Spotlight
    Click the Privacy Tab

Drag your local hard drive or external drive into the "Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations"
    or Click the + and add the drive

Then highlight and remove the drive you just added and Spotlight will reindex that drive.

19. hutzi20 macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. The Terminal commands work fine for me. The reindexing took a time but it doesn't matter.
    Before fixing i had another problem: when i search for files directly in Finder it shows wrong sizes. A 2 KB m-file for example shows 8 MB or an 7 MB Photoshop file shows me 5 GB... Thats solved now

Attached Files:

20. El Padrino thread starter macrumors newbie

Your solution fixed mine (I think).

Something just doesn't seem right when looking at it though, and i'm not sure why i have 7GB worth of backups since i have turned time machine snapshots off...

I have also just noticed that I have 30MB of audio which again is not correct, strange...

Attached Files:

21. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Fixed for a day, than back to being messed up again using terminal. Unknown if using Time Machine after doing the terminal command the next day had anything to do with it

22. j800r macrumors regular

I honestly don't know why some of you guys are surprised. If you're using a Developer Preview (which btw if you're not an OSX developer you shouldn't be using anyway and if you were you'd understand how these things work) or even the public beta then you need to expect bugs.

Use Apple's own feedback tool to report the bugs to them as you find them. Posting them on here will draw other user's attention but won't help get them fixed any faster.

I'm on Beta 2 myself and haven't really noticed all that many bugs so far as far as basic usage is concerned. So I urge those of you who aren't actually developers to use the public beta if anything and NOT the Developer Previews as it's like the difference between a dev version and an official beta. The Beta is gonna be a tad more stable, but still not bug free.

Yes, it will be fixed come release so long as it's reported and comes to Apple's attention. A LOT will be fixed and changed before release. Developer Previews are the testing versions. The official beta's closer to what they'll definitely use in final and things could still change in the next month or so.

23. El Padrino thread starter macrumors newbie

Im fine using the Beta/DP, same with iOS 8, i know the risks i am taking, and anything that occurs i usually deal with it or find a way to fix it. I was merely asking if anyone knew how to fix it because it may be a bug that can be resolved.

24. j800r macrumors regular

Apologies dude. You can never be sure. There are those like that. I blame spending too much time looking at OSX app store reviews. :p Those people are just too much.

25. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I know my drive is close to being full, but I know for sure that my drive had 40GB available before the latest DP7 update...

It was surprising to see the 'Your computer has run out of resources' alert window. :roll eyes:

Attached Files: