Storage is completely messed up.

El Padrino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Hi,

I just restored my Mac to a fresh version of Yosemite because it was doing this before, but after doing this and installing everything, it has come back.

The problem is that when i check the storage of my Macbook, which is the Retina latest model (think its £1700), it shows completely random figures, as you can see in the picture. But as you can see it does show that only 50GB is being used up; does anyone know how i can fix this so it shows the correct amount being used in each category?

Thanks,
Gian

Attachments

Tom Schrier

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2014
Norway
Hi,

I just restored my Mac to a fresh version of Yosemite because it was doing this before, but after doing this and installing everything, it has come back.

The problem is that when i check the storage of my Macbook, which is the Retina latest model (think its £1700), it shows completely random figures, as you can see in the picture. But as you can see it does show that only 50GB is being used up; does anyone know how i can fix this so it shows the correct amount being used in each category?

Thanks,
Gian
I have the same problem, just a bug! don't worry! ;)

AppleFan22

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2014
Hi,

Thanks,
Gian
Same has happened to me, although, when I did a search for all movie types, American Reunion (didn't purchase from iTunes) has two versions. But they're in the same place. It depends on how you find it (search or through clicking the folders), but one says it's 1.11 GB, the other says it's 283 GB! Not sure whats going on, they're both exactly the same (same route, same "Get Info" thing etc.), although the large one's "Get Info" pane says it IS 1.11 GB

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
I noticed that storage says that I have 2.35 TB of audio, when I only have a 500gb hard drive ...
Maybe it’s a new feature that apple lets you download more hard disk space, gave you checked with the finder that you are still on 500GB?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Same issue here.

I wonder if forcing Spotlight to re-index might fix it. Or repairing permissions.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Same issue here.

I wonder if forcing Spotlight to re-index might fix it. Or repairing permissions.
Trying those 2 options and rebooting in a minute. I'll see if either helps.

---------------------------------

So I started with this (Pic 1 top left)
tried fixing permissions
then fix disk
force reindex (pic 2 top right)
Code:
sudo mdutil -E /
you'll get asked for password enter it
then type
Code:
sudo mdutil -i on /
then restart
after restart (pic 3 bottom left)

back to normal

Attachments

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Here are mine with NO rebooting.....

1st one is prior to the two above mentioned methods

2nd one is with repair permission

3rd in the last one using "sudo mdutil -E /"

4th one after rebooting...Which is back to number 1 and 2
I forgot to list in my post that I also typed in 1 other terminal command. This may or may not help but is what I did.
I also gave my machine a few minutes prior to rebooting, again mileage may vary but my storage did change.
I'm going to try again on my 2013 MBA and see if anything changes without adding the 2nd code.

My Mac Mini server shows storage accurately, no issues.
iMac reported wrong. time to check the other machines.

Last edited:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I forgot to list in my post that I also typed in 1 other terminal command. This may or may not help but is what I did.
I also gave my machine a few minutes prior to rebooting, again mileage may vary but my storage did change.
I'm going to try again on my 2013 MBA and see if anything changes without adding the 2nd code.
Let me (use) know. Will try it out later. Thanks

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This fixed my SSD boot on my nMac Pro, what about Thunderbolt 2 arrays? It seems two of them are misrepresenting data results.

...and thanks for the help!

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Another way I found to do this without using terminal is to:

Open System Preferences
Go to Spotlight
Click the Privacy Tab

Drag your local hard drive or external drive into the "Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations"
or Click the + and add the drive

Then highlight and remove the drive you just added and Spotlight will reindex that drive.

hutzi20

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2014
Thanks a lot. The Terminal commands work fine for me. The reindexing took a time but it doesn't matter.
Before fixing i had another problem: when i search for files directly in Finder it shows wrong sizes. A 2 KB m-file for example shows 8 MB or an 7 MB Photoshop file shows me 5 GB... Thats solved now

Attachments

El Padrino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Trying those 2 options and rebooting in a minute. I'll see if either helps.

---------------------------------

So I started with this (Pic 1 top left)
tried fixing permissions
then fix disk
force reindex (pic 2 top right)
Code:
sudo mdutil -E /
you'll get asked for password enter it
then type
Code:
sudo mdutil -i on /
then restart
after restart (pic 3 bottom left)

back to normal
Your solution fixed mine (I think).

Something just doesn't seem right when looking at it though, and i'm not sure why i have 7GB worth of backups since i have turned time machine snapshots off...

I have also just noticed that I have 30MB of audio which again is not correct, strange...

Attachments

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Fixed for a day, than back to being messed up again using terminal. Unknown if using Time Machine after doing the terminal command the next day had anything to do with it

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
I honestly don't know why some of you guys are surprised. If you're using a Developer Preview (which btw if you're not an OSX developer you shouldn't be using anyway and if you were you'd understand how these things work) or even the public beta then you need to expect bugs.

Use Apple's own feedback tool to report the bugs to them as you find them. Posting them on here will draw other user's attention but won't help get them fixed any faster.

I'm on Beta 2 myself and haven't really noticed all that many bugs so far as far as basic usage is concerned. So I urge those of you who aren't actually developers to use the public beta if anything and NOT the Developer Previews as it's like the difference between a dev version and an official beta. The Beta is gonna be a tad more stable, but still not bug free.

Yes, it will be fixed come release so long as it's reported and comes to Apple's attention. A LOT will be fixed and changed before release. Developer Previews are the testing versions. The official beta's closer to what they'll definitely use in final and things could still change in the next month or so.

El Padrino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
I honestly don't know why some of you guys are surprised. If you're using a Developer Preview (which btw if you're not an OSX developer you shouldn't be using anyway and if you were you'd understand how these things work) or even the public beta then you need to expect bugs.

Use Apple's own feedback tool to report the bugs to them as you find them. Posting them on here will draw other user's attention but won't help get them fixed any faster.

I'm on Beta 2 myself and haven't really noticed all that many bugs so far as far as basic usage is concerned. So I urge those of you who aren't actually developers to use the public beta if anything and NOT the Developer Previews as it's like the difference between a dev version and an official beta. The Beta is gonna be a tad more stable, but still not bug free.

Yes, it will be fixed come release so long as it's reported and comes to Apple's attention. A LOT will be fixed and changed before release. Developer Previews are the testing versions. The official beta's closer to what they'll definitely use in final and things could still change in the next month or so.
Im fine using the Beta/DP, same with iOS 8, i know the risks i am taking, and anything that occurs i usually deal with it or find a way to fix it. I was merely asking if anyone knew how to fix it because it may be a bug that can be resolved.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Im fine using the Beta/DP, same with iOS 8, i know the risks i am taking, and anything that occurs i usually deal with it or find a way to fix it. I was merely asking if anyone knew how to fix it because it may be a bug that can be resolved.
Apologies dude. You can never be sure. There are those like that. I blame spending too much time looking at OSX app store reviews. :p Those people are just too much.