Storage problem!! 13" inch new 2011 macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Nictjai, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Nictjai macrumors newbie

Dear members,

I have just purchased the new 13" inch macbook air with a storage of 128 GB internal flash drive. However the problem is the amount of GB used for "other" storage on my MBA is huge! It's taken over a full 11.3 GB (see picture) of my total storage available, I have tried everything to free up space in this partition however it does not work!

[​IMG]

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? How do I delete files in my MBA "other" partition?

Thank you all in advance !!

2. DaLurker, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

DaLurker macrumors 6502

Run DaisyDisk and it will help you figure out where your space is going :)

Link

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Other includes all your settings, documents, iOS Applications and other random stuff. I have 18GB of other because of 8GB in iOS apps..plus everything else.

4. EvenStranger macrumors member

As I understand it, if Lion's installed, it's doing Time Machine backups to itself until you can plug in a drive to offload the backups. Once the backup is made to the external drive, the internal backup files are erased and the disk space is freed up again.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Other could be anything that doesn't fit into the predefined categories.

Apple really should not have included a vague graph like that. It just adds confusion for less experienced computer users.

6. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

And how does it clear confusion for more experienced computer users? lol...

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Or open terminal and type in the following command :

Code:
    sudo du -akx / | sort -nr | head -20
    Other includes Lion itself btw. At 11 GB, it's not huge at all.

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Experienced users should understand that the "Other" category is a catch all. It covers the OS, the sleep image file, the swap files, etc. A less experienced computer user sees "Other" taking up GB's of space and wonders what it is and how do you get rid of it.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Most people would FREAK at this one..

[​IMG]

----------

This is a VERY nice app. thanks for the tip!

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Yes, I *get* what you're saying...

I doubt even most (present OP excluded) unexperienced users are wondering how to "get rid" of it, rather than what it means. But even knowing what it means doesn't mean you know what it consists of (which was my half joking point...).

Not to mention the fact that it is broken. For instance, it doesn't seem to like certain MKV files. So those are all of the sudden not 'movie' files and are now 'other' files.

11. coopiklaani macrumors member

coopiklaani

if you are talking about a brand new mac, that's where your OS sleeps. don't panic, mine looks even worse

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I agree it does seem broken.

It is a good idea in a way, just poorly implemented.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would suggest formatting the whole hard drive. That will sort out the "storage problems". </sarcasm>

Now I understand why Apple is trying to stop the user from seeing the file system completely.

:( :( :( :(

14. dtbadsjw macrumors newbie

I have external hdd back ups are saved at, but internal back up files are still there...I can't even located where they are.
    What am I doing wrong??

Attached Files:

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yes but the local snapshots appear as part of "backups" in the storage info not part of "other"

You're probably not doing anything wrong. For some reason on Lion it creates local snapshots even when connected to the hard disk you backup with using Time Machine. It should delete those local backups when you need space so I'm told that you shouldn't worry about them. But it was annoying me so I turned off automatic backups and now just manually back up whenever I want to and this way avoid having local snapshots being created.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You're not doing anything wrong, really. But you shouldn't be doing anything at all, actually. Don't think about it. The Mac does not need to be micromanaged like that. When the OS no longer needs the backup files, they'll be removed automatically. Some of this space is also used for "Versions" copies of edited documents.

As long as you have enough free space to do what you needed, then let the OS do its thing. Like with RAM, lots of free space is wasted space. The OS will remove backups some time after saving them to Time Machine.

17. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

What a beautiful app. This app is mesmerizing. lol.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I found an app called Spacie in the appstore. The price of DaisyDisk was putting me off. Spacie is not as pretty but very functional. And its $2.

19. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

du is free. ;)

Sometimes I cherish my Unix skills, I get to save so much money rather than having to spend it on a bunch of apps that does the same thing my dear 30 year old free commands do. :D

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I hear ya. But sometimes I just want to click. I've been assimilated... ;)

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

So use DiskWave or GrandPerspective, both free.

Not all apps are on the appstore. :)

22. onefish2 macrumors member

onefish2

I think its bogus. I just ran this and its shows 665MB for music. Movies shows 276MB. Again I have no movies on here and finally photos. I have none and it shows 579MB. I have no movies, music or photos, So why does that show up.

I am am an experienced user. I have been running OS X since the 10.1 days back in 2001.

23. kittycat97 macrumors newbie

I have an extreme problem...

219.78 GB is ALL OTHER!
    out of 319.21 GB !

This macbook Pro is brand new, how is this even possible?I don't have anything on here that should be causing this! PLease help!

Thanks

Attached Files:

24. henrydoown macrumors newbie

henrydoown

Storage problem!! 13" inch new 2011 macbook air

Use system tool and fix this storage problem.

25. bogatyr macrumors 65816

For those with 10-15GB in other, that doesn't seem out of the ordinary. 10-15GB is fairly low - remember the OS and all extra things it requires storage for (hibernate, TM, etc) are in Other. I'd expect it to always be at a minimum of 10-15GB.