Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nictjai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Dear members,

I have just purchased the new 13" inch macbook air with a storage of 128 GB internal flash drive. However the problem is the amount of GB used for "other" storage on my MBA is huge! It's taken over a full 11.3 GB (see picture) of my total storage available, I have tried everything to free up space in this partition however it does not work!

screenshot20110817at455.png

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? How do I delete files in my MBA "other" partition?

Thank you all in advance !!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Other includes all your settings, documents, iOS Applications and other random stuff. I have 18GB of other because of 8GB in iOS apps..plus everything else.

EvenStranger

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
As I understand it, if Lion's installed, it's doing Time Machine backups to itself until you can plug in a drive to offload the backups. Once the backup is made to the external drive, the internal backup files are erased and the disk space is freed up again.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Other could be anything that doesn't fit into the predefined categories.

Apple really should not have included a vague graph like that. It just adds confusion for less experienced computer users.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Other could be anything that doesn't fit into the predefined categories.

Apple really should not have included a vague graph like that. It just adds confusion for less experienced computer users.

And how does it clear confusion for more experienced computer users? lol...

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
And how does it clear confusion for more experienced computer users? lol...

Experienced users should understand that the "Other" category is a catch all. It covers the OS, the sleep image file, the swap files, etc. A less experienced computer user sees "Other" taking up GB's of space and wonders what it is and how do you get rid of it.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Experienced users should understand that the "Other" category is a catch all. It covers the OS, the sleep image file, the swap files, etc. A less experienced computer user sees "Other" taking up GB's of space and wonders what it is and how do you get rid of it.

Yes, I *get* what you're saying...

I doubt even most (present OP excluded) unexperienced users are wondering how to "get rid" of it, rather than what it means. But even knowing what it means doesn't mean you know what it consists of (which was my half joking point...).

Not to mention the fact that it is broken. For instance, it doesn't seem to like certain MKV files. So those are all of the sudden not 'movie' files and are now 'other' files.

coopiklaani

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
UK
if you are talking about a brand new mac, that's where your OS sleeps. don't panic, mine looks even worse

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Yes, I *get* what you're saying...

I doubt even most (present OP excluded) unexperienced users are wondering how to "get rid" of it, rather than what it means. But even knowing what it means doesn't mean you know what it consists of (which was my half joking point...).

Not to mention the fact that it is broken. For instance, it doesn't seem to like certain MKV files. So those are all of the sudden not 'movie' files and are now 'other' files.

I agree it does seem broken.

It is a good idea in a way, just poorly implemented.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I agree it does seem broken.

It is a good idea in a way, just poorly implemented.

I would suggest formatting the whole hard drive. That will sort out the "storage problems". </sarcasm>

Now I understand why Apple is trying to stop the user from seeing the file system completely.

:( :( :( :(

dtbadsjw

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
As I understand it, if Lion's installed, it's doing Time Machine backups to itself until you can plug in a drive to offload the backups. Once the backup is made to the external drive, the internal backup files are erased and the disk space is freed up again.

I have external hdd back ups are saved at, but internal back up files are still there...I can't even located where they are.
What am I doing wrong??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-18 at 11.14.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-18 at 11.14.36 AM.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 255

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yes but the local snapshots appear as part of "backups" in the storage info not part of "other"

I have external hdd back ups are saved at, but internal back up files are still there...I can't even located where they are.
What am I doing wrong??

You're probably not doing anything wrong. For some reason on Lion it creates local snapshots even when connected to the hard disk you backup with using Time Machine. It should delete those local backups when you need space so I'm told that you shouldn't worry about them. But it was annoying me so I turned off automatic backups and now just manually back up whenever I want to and this way avoid having local snapshots being created.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
What am I doing wrong??

You're not doing anything wrong, really. But you shouldn't be doing anything at all, actually. Don't think about it. The Mac does not need to be micromanaged like that. When the OS no longer needs the backup files, they'll be removed automatically. Some of this space is also used for "Versions" copies of edited documents.

As long as you have enough free space to do what you needed, then let the OS do its thing. Like with RAM, lots of free space is wasted space. The OS will remove backups some time after saving them to Time Machine.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I found an app called Spacie in the appstore. The price of DaisyDisk was putting me off. Spacie is not as pretty but very functional. And its $2.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I found an app called Spacie in the appstore. The price of DaisyDisk was putting me off. Spacie is not as pretty but very functional. And its $2.

du is free. ;)

Sometimes I cherish my Unix skills, I get to save so much money rather than having to spend it on a bunch of apps that does the same thing my dear 30 year old free commands do. :D

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
du is free. ;)

Sometimes I cherish my Unix skills, I get to save so much money rather than having to spend it on a bunch of apps that does the same thing my dear 30 year old free commands do. :D

I hear ya. But sometimes I just want to click. I've been assimilated... ;)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

So use DiskWave or GrandPerspective, both free.

Not all apps are on the appstore. :)

onefish2

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Nanuet, NY
I think its bogus. I just ran this and its shows 665MB for music. Movies shows 276MB. Again I have no movies on here and finally photos. I have none and it shows 579MB. I have no movies, music or photos, So why does that show up.

I am am an experienced user. I have been running OS X since the 10.1 days back in 2001.

kittycat97

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
I have an extreme problem...

219.78 GB is ALL OTHER!
out of 319.21 GB !

This macbook Pro is brand new, how is this even possible?I don't have anything on here that should be causing this! PLease help!

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 12.30.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 12.30.37 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 704

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
For those with 10-15GB in other, that doesn't seem out of the ordinary. 10-15GB is fairly low - remember the OS and all extra things it requires storage for (hibernate, TM, etc) are in Other. I'd expect it to always be at a minimum of 10-15GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.