Store clerk says "groundbreaking" Apple product being developed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Callum, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Callum macrumors member

Last week my Dad told me he had gone into Dick Smith (Australian retailer) and asked one of the guys working there what the deal was with Macs. The retailer answered with the usual spiel, but then said that he wouldn't advise buying a Mac now because Apple has been developing something "groundbreaking", and it would be prudent to wait.

My question is: What relatively recent rumours have been circulating that could pertain to something "groundbreaking"? I'm not sure how the store clerk would have inside information, but I would think he'd have to be quite sure of the rumour's validity to say that to a customer, as it loses him a sale.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Probably referring to the new Mac pro with 12 core CPU.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple retail employees wouldn't even have that kind of information let alone a third party retailer. So far with the whole Mac lineup, everything has been somewhat refreshed:

- new Mac Pro support up to 12 cores
    - iMac's now all being equipped with iCore CPU's
    - Mac Mini unibody
    - MacBook Pro moving to iCore CPU's

The MacBook and MacBook Pro are the "oldest" but it's not likely any of those will see a serious update (perhaps a refresh) anytime soon so I don't know what that person was referring to. Apple could be developing something but I highly doubt it will be something related to Mac and if it is, it won't be released anytime soon.

5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

He could be referring to the Apple job posting that was reposted by all of the news sites last week.

Even so, nobody outside of Apple really knows what's going on inside Apple. :) This guy wouldn't have any kind of inside knowledge. He's just guessing.

6. DancetoExpress macrumors newbie

7. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

Dick Smith HAHAHA yeah right give me a break that's the last place you'd go to for any sort of advice on anything.
    Why don't you just go ask the chick jockeyin' the cash register at Woolworths?
    Being that they both work for the same boss.

For you foreigners imagine best buy with dislexic retards selling electronics .. that's the best similie I can conjour at the moment.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Those retail guys are always the FIRST to everything! :eek:

9. DKatri macrumors 6502

When was the last time that Apple released a product that didnt get described by someone as groundbreaking?

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

The iHammer.

Automatic jack-hammering with an attractive Apple interface, and integrated iPod dock.

11. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

So true :D

I think the employee was referring to the Apple job posting though.

I think it's going to be related to touch and/or iOS OS X convergance. I can see Apple trying a new MacBook that has two displays, one the usual display but with touch and the other display located where the keyboard usually is with a virtual keyboard for input at times.

I'd never buy this kind of turkey though. One would not be able to touch type on something like this and even if one tried it would hurt one's fingers because these surfaces don't have the give that absorbs force like a proper keyboard.

12. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

They're about to announce the iShovel, it's like a regular shovel only made of lightweight aluminium alloy and has the new iHole GPS locater built in!

13. DKatri macrumors 6502

the iShovel will be unibody.

14. RDL macrumors member

He could have been talking about (forget the name) but its faster than firewire. I'm sure someone else here knows what I'm talking about. Still don't think its something to hold out for unless all you do is transfer large files all day plus who knows when it will officially be released. But as far as speed of transfers it will be somewhat "groundbreaking".

15. Matbookpro macrumors member

USB 3.0?

16. G4DP macrumors 65816

USB 3.0?

Well that's just technological progress. Not ground breaking and it's not being developed by Apple. It's been available on some devices for over 12 month. Not many granted, but some.

17. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

LightPeak. basically all PC motherboard released in the last few months come with USB3.

18. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

This.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here it is!!!! OMG!!! Revolutionary!! Life will never be the same after this!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/39wyq56 :eek:

20. 184550 Guest

Using the GPS function will also enable the convenient tracking of the holes you've dug. (This is the new program in iLife '11.)

21. shaynes macrumors member

Lightpeak, I believe you are referring to. That is not something Apple is releasing though, it is Intel technology.

Update: I am slow.

22. DannyNguyener macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

Forgot to mention the MacBook air =p

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Haha. Back in October I asked the managing director of Apple Norway about what he actually knew about new products before they were released.

Since I didn't ask for specifics, I think he answered truthfully when he said that he gets word that "something" is coming and that there is a release date, but he hardly gets any real details. Hence, I don't think this store clerk knows jack *****. :)

24. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

LMAO! :D

25. KirkL macrumors 6502

He's either talking about the "mystery app" in iLife 11 or the job posting for Mac OS X 10.7