Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

With Technology always progressing. What form of unlocking would you now prefer?

• Total voters

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Yes, but you pick and choose only the negative ones to support your (ah ha gotcha) spam to use as a way to force your opinion. The fact that you can't seem to control yourself, is obvious. A person in control, would post his opinion while respecting others opinion even if doesn't agree with them. Instead all you've done is succeeded on showing how much you can't be objective. You're not clever.

If you think you're going to stamp out others opinions just because you spam a thread, just makes you look like an 11 year old internet warrior.

Interesting view. Have i said something that is false? Clearly, feel free to point it out. Did i write TheVerge article? TheVerge, ya know, the tech site that loves Android et al. Did i write the Android Authority article? Please point out when did i wrongly quote something or try to imply something that is not true.

A person in control would point out the gross flaws in other's opinions that lack reality and much sense. I am not trying to be clever. Being clever is like an Android fanboy who comes here pretending to be an innocent poster. I am not trying to spam either. Spamming is spreading information that is false or trying to mislead.

My point has been very clear and to the point...and back by facts and/or legit reviews from tech community.

If you guys are arguing about TouchID in the back of phone or on older iPhones in front vs. FaceID, then that's a tough call. But if you're comparing FaceID with under-display FPS (optical or ultrasonic), then FaceID is superior in pretty much every way.

Is that being clever? If so, then so be it. :) I am actually an Android fanboy tricking you guys....

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
But if you're comparing FaceID with under-display FPS (optical or ultrasonic), then FaceID is superior in pretty much every way.
I am not sure about that. In the thread, there were some examples given where FaceID may not be as good as an under-glass solution.

The flat on the desk issue is one that I am curious about. I unlock my phone all the time when it is flat on my desk at work, and people claim that Face ID is problematic in this situation.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
I am not sure about that. In the thread, there were some examples given where FaceID may not be as good as an under-glass solution.

The flat on the desk issue is one that I am curious about. I unlock my phone all the time when it is flat on my desk at work, and people claim that Face ID is problematic in this situation.

Again, program “Alternate FaceID” with iPhone placed on your belly and then doing the registration that way. By doing it that way, you can now unlock your iPhone with it on the table and all you have to do is lean slightly and voila! It unlocks.

It is not any harder than having to exactly position your finger in the exact area (thus, leaning probably to make sure that you got it just right) on the S10 display to unlock it.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Interesting view. Have i said something that is false? Clearly, feel free to point it out. Did i write TheVerge article? TheVerge, ya know, the tech site that loves Android et al. Did i write the Android Authority article? Please point out when did i wrongly quote something or try to imply something that is not true.

A person in control would point out the gross flaws in other's opinions that lack reality and much sense. I am not trying to be clever. Being clever is like an Android fanboy who comes here pretending to be an innocent poster. I am not trying to spam either. Spamming is spreading information that is false or trying to mislead.

My point has been very clear and to the point...and back by facts and/or legit reviews from tech community.

If you guys are arguing about TouchID in the back of phone or on older iPhones in front vs. FaceID, then that's a tough call. But if you're comparing FaceID with under-display FPS (optical or ultrasonic), then FaceID is superior in pretty much every way.

Is that being clever? If so, then so be it. :) I am actually an Android fanboy tricking you guys....

Face ID - phone controls when it wants to unlock
Touch ID - you control when you want to unlock

Even if both are as good, I'll take the touch id anytime of the day. I want the phone to unlock on my command not the other way round.

Anyway the face id implemented in iPhone is cumbersome requiring a swipe up.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado

Even if both are as good, I'll take the touch id anytime of the day. I want the phone to unlock on my command not the other way round.

This just blew my mind............in a not so good way.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But from what I’ve seen FaceID seems to be the option with the most potential.

On the privacy aspect side of things, I really like that face ID Displays the messages once I look at my phone and it recognizes my face, and it keeps my messages/notifications private until I look at my phone. And also with ‘auto fill passwords’ with Face ID is another really convenient future.

Reactions: Yakibomb

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Again, program “Alternate FaceID” with iPhone placed on your belly and then doing the registration that way. By doing it that way, you can now unlock your iPhone with it on the table and all you have to do is lean slightly and voila! It unlocks.

It is not any harder than having to exactly position your finger in the exact area (thus, leaning probably to make sure that you got it just right) on the S10 display to unlock it.
Lmao you're still commenting on something you've never used. You can tap the screen and it shows where to put your finger. That isn't even needed...muscle memory will make it seamless.

Question, can't you type on your phone without looking at your screen? It's pretty easy imo, this whole message was typed without looking at the screen. If you can't then I understand your issue but many people can.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
For those with the S10, how's the fingerprint authentication works when you're inside an app/website for password/transaction? I mean you're touching the screen so are there any finger rejection on the screen while it's reading the fingerprint? Serious question.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
Seems it could more of a training issue, similar to issues when touch id when it first came out. Could explain why for some it works perfectly and for some it does not.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

More nonsense. You posted the same thing in another thread. For the record, unless raise to wake is enabled, face id is not active unless you press the power button and/or touch the screen. No different than touch id.

Face id has the added benefit of showing the detail of your notifications when you look at the screen. Don't even have to touch the phone.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
For those with the S10, how's the fingerprint authentication works when you're inside an app/website for password/transaction? I mean you're touching the screen so are there any finger rejection on the screen while it's reading the fingerprint? Serious question.

You thin
More nonsense. You posted the same thing in another thread. For the record, unless raise to wake is enabled, face id is not active unless you press the power button and/or touch the screen. No different than touch id.

Face id has the added benefit of showing the detail of your notifications when you look at the screen. Don't even have to touch the phone.

Whopee. Lift phone up, press power button, look at phone, swipe up then phone unlocks. This is so much better than just touching the screen and phone unlocks :p

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You thin

Whopee. Lift phone up, press power button, look at phone, swipe up then phone unlocks. This is so much better than just touching the screen and phone unlocks :p
You missed the point, again. Just like a finger print reader to unlock the phone you still have touch the phone. You do not have to raise it up. I was offering up a better use case than android for something I do multiple times throughout the day, while working. So yeah, whoopee.:D

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I rather just touch the phone in my pocket than taking it out of the pocket to show my face to it... handy especially then when siri says you ”you have to unlock your phone before...”

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The irony here is that FaceID delivers exactly what your last sentence states. You tap the screen (anywhere, no need for precision) and off you go.

1. There is no requirement to press the power button.
2. You don’t have to lift the phone. And I don’t even have a second setup, it works just fine from all angles when i’m sitting with my phone near me on a flat surface.
3. Fine, include looking at the phone as a step if you must. But I don’t remember any cooking recipes telling me I have to look at my onions as I chop them.
4. The swipe up is only required if you’re going to leave the notification screen and use features within the phone. And you’ll be touching the screen to do that anyways. It’s not a step in unlocking the phone, it’s an action in using the phone.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Within the last month I bought my first iPhone, the XS Max, having used Android and Samsung phones since inception. Before getting the iPhone, I had considered FaceID a gimmick, something I didn't care about. But now having used it for about a month I find I like it and don't miss touch ID in the least.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Android Police:

“More substantial an issue is the dreaded in-screen fingerprint reader. I don’t want to say I hate it. I really, really don’t like it, though. After a patch to address its performance was issued to my phone mid-review, it got better, but this is still such a downgrade from even Samsung’s badly-placed capacitive scanners in terms of experience. Even after over two full weeks with the phone, my thumbs never developed good enough muscle memory to land dead on the scanner more than 50% of the time, and there’s no haptic feedback to let you know the scanner is reading or if an unlock was successful (this boggles my mind). While it’s not Nokia 9 bad - Ryan is all but prepared to call that phone unrecommendable - it’s that terrible - the in-display fingerprint scanner is in all material respects a regression from the capacitive sensors in last year’s phones. What's worse is that it's gotten even more unreliable the more I've used it, as though the phone is unlearning my fingerprint. It's maddening. This was a bad decision, and it’s the one thing that I think truly mars the Galaxy S10 in my eyes. It’s not a deal-breaker, it’s just… not good.”

In every way, a functional and practical regression from a capacitive scanner. Go back to the drawing board (read: Face ID), Samsung.

[doublepost=1552159798][/doublepost]I hope that we can close this topic now. FaceID is clearly superior. Even Android editors prefer Apple FaceID.

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Android Police:

“More substantial an issue is the dreaded in-screen fingerprint reader. I don’t want to say I hate it. I really, really don’t like it, though. After a patch to address its performance was issued to my phone mid-review, it got better, but this is still such a downgrade from even Samsung’s badly-placed capacitive scanners in terms of experience. Even after over two full weeks with the phone, my thumbs never developed good enough muscle memory to land dead on the scanner more than 50% of the time, and there’s no haptic feedback to let you know the scanner is reading or if an unlock was successful (this boggles my mind). While it’s not Nokia 9 bad - Ryan is all but prepared to call that phone unrecommendable - it’s that terrible - the in-display fingerprint scanner is in all material respects a regression from the capacitive sensors in last year’s phones. What's worse is that it's gotten even more unreliable the more I've used it, as though the phone is unlearning my fingerprint. It's maddening. This was a bad decision, and it’s the one thing that I think truly mars the Galaxy S10 in my eyes. It’s not a deal-breaker, it’s just… not good.”

In every way, a functional and practical regression from a capacitive scanner. Go back to the drawing board (read: Face ID), Samsung.

[doublepost=1552159798][/doublepost]I hope that we can close this topic now. FaceID is clearly superior. Even Android editors prefer Apple FaceID.
i've obviously missed it, but where in the quote you provided do they say they prefer Apple FaceID? As I read it the bit about (read: Face ID) is your interpolation.

Thanks.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
i've obviously missed it, but where in the quote you provided do they say they prefer Apple FaceID? As I read it the bit about (read: Face ID) is your interpolation.

Thanks.

No, that was ANDROID POLICE EDITOR’s conclusion. Not mine!! My comment is below the dotted Post Merged line.

You welcome.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
I am not trying to spam either.

Untitled-1.jpg

Nope.......doesn't look like you're spamming at all. :rolleyes:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
No, that was ANDROID POLICE EDITOR’s conclusion. Not mine!! My comment is below the dotted Post Merged line.

You welcome.
Fair enough, but then you need to edit your quotation and move the quotation marks to the end; and provide a direct link.
[doublepost=1552162843][/doublepost]
View attachment 825590

Let's just say this person feels "very strongly" about this subject. :D

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
View attachment 825590

So responding to posts is a crime? Lol.....

Again, feel free to show me where i wrote something not supported by facts. Don’t get angry dude, it’s all good.

[doublepost=1552163162][/doublepost]
Fair enough, but then you need to edit your quotation and move the quotation marks to the end; and provide a direct link.
[doublepost=1552162843][/doublepost]
Let's just say this person feels "very strongly" about this subject. :D

Nah it’s clear enough. Conclusion crystal clear as is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.