Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Have you ever seen a magnificent beautiful girl out in town somewhere and had the overwelming urge to tell her so? Well I have; and I know that I can't go and follow through with my desire to express my feelings towards this person for fear of being arrested. :eek:

Yeah that's right; expressing your admiration toward a complete stranger is heavily frowned upon in this country. :( And there's always the chance of making a complete fool of myself, but I don't care; what if the girl has no idea how fine she is, she needs to know right? :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Yeah, a smile, preferably of the non creepy variety, if a guy came up to me and told me I looked amazing i'd either call him a lier or hit him......

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
what if the girl has no idea how fine she is, she needs to know right? :)

All girls know by the time they're around 6 years old. When they're young, they're told how pretty or cute they look, and people tell them this until they're much older. The kids who aren't cute will be stressed how intelligence is more important than beauty, but if she's cute, it's usually "Wow, you looks so cute in that dress!" from the time they're 2 years old.

No need to be creepy. A smile says it all.

Sometimes, that's creepy enough. Why not wink and slip in a sly smile too....maybe lick your lips and grab a fork and knife.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
A firm pat on the behind will say it all. :)

The only time I ever smile at pretty girls is in clubs. And for some reason it's never got me a cold response. I don't think I'd ever just smile moronically at people on the street though.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I've heard that them Italian dudes have no qualms with telling a girl what he thinks of her. I've also heard that American girls visiting over there are commonly intimidated by their veracity too. :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Erm.... :confused:

I've lived in the Midwest and now the South, and been to most of the US. My experience is that, everywhere except the Northeast, it's socially acceptable to smile at people you think are well dressed or attractive, as long as it's not too much of a jump in station for you (like if you're good looking, you can get away with acknowledging a lot of other people much more easily than if you're not very attractive... :eek: ). Even in NYC I've seen fashionistas do that plenty of times... but you have to know what you're complimenting (designer or lineage of clothes, or creativeness of someone's fashion sense).

Anyway, I've been on both ends of that, and I find it's very rarely creepy.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Have you ever seen a magnificent beautiful girl out in town somewhere and had the overwelming urge to tell her so? Well I have; and I know that I can't go and follow through with my desire to express my feelings towards this person for fear of being arrested. :eek:

Right.

So ... there's a difference between flirting and assault. Not only will you not get arrested for talkikng to someone you find attractive, but you might learn something, too.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006

How were you gonna express it? "If I told you had a nice body would you hold it against me" might get a slap, but the whole arrested fear seems a touch extreme.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
A firm pat on the behind will say it all. :)

The only time I ever smile at pretty girls is in clubs. And for some reason it's never got me a cold response. I don't think I'd ever just smile moronically at people on the street though.
Well, it will at least say you've got a possible sexual harrassment lawsuit on your hands.. At least that buys you more time with the girl, eh? :D

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
Here in new york a lot of older women smile at me and I'm just like uhhh *awkward smile back*. Seriously, just smile if you come within 5 feet of her. It's that easy. Do one of these smiles :) and not one of these :eek:. Definitely not one of those.

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
I've talked to girls I have found attractive who are waiting at the bus stop or whatever. I don't actually say "OMG YOU ARE SO HOT ASL", I just start talking to them "How was your day etc..." and that obviously shows that I find them attractive/interesting in some way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.