Strange Battery Problem with 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snverhallen, Sep 16, 2008.

1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

My battery is behaving very strange after updating to 2.1. So far since updating 2.1 this is what has happened:

1st time - I charged to 100% left it on standby overnight, all apps completely closed. I didn't use it until the next evening when I tried to turn it on it didn't respond. So I held down the power button and it gave me the no battery icon. I checked usage and it was way up around with the standby time, which I thought was strange because I definitely hadn't used it for that long. I didn't bother to screenshot it; I just dismissed it as a freak thing and I did a full charge (thus a cycle which should calibrate battery indicator).

2nd time - I used the iPhone the evening after I did the full cycle, and when I went to bed it had about half a charge and 2h. 21m. usage (see 1st pic). I wake up but I didn't use it until a slightly after 4:00 PM. So again I try to turn it on but it won't respond, I hold down the power button and once again I see the no battery icon. I plug the iPhone in the charger and immediately after it turned on I took a screenshot of the Usage stats (see 2nd pic) and as you can see it has 18h. 35m. of usage.

So I'm thinking something is running in the background, but I don't know what, I even did a hard reset after my full cycle to try and eliminate any background apps (or whatever it may be).

I know people are having cases of background processes running down their battery, but this has happened twice in a row, with a hard reset in between and a full cycle to make sure my indicator was accurate.

Tips, suggestions, conclusions? What do you think?

snverhallen

PS. If your wondering why in the 2nd pic I have no Carrier that is because I was trying to import SIM contacts from another SIM that doesn't work here hence no Carrier name.

Attached Files:

2. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I had this same problem. My battery used to be really good before 2.1 , then after it drained straight away stating constant use so I did a reset via itunes and the battery is better than ever.

3. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't done a restore since these battery problems, but I did do a full restore (no restore to backup) of my iPhone when upgrading to 2.1, so I don't think that would be a problem.

snverhallen

4. gt1948 macrumors regular

gt1948

mine was dead too

I had updated to 10.5.5 yesterday and think this might be the issue, when i shut the phone down and redocked after a few minutes battery status was fine.

5. Chicagomac08 macrumors member

I just got off the phone and the are recommending a restore:mad:

Hopefully this works because a mobile phone that needs to be plugged in isn't very mobile....:mad:

I will report back.

6. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

About two dozen people have reported the same issue on this forum (myself included). Something, somewhere gets stuck in a loop and sucks all juice out of the battery. Could be a popular 3rd party app... or it could even be Safari for all we know.

I did a restore when I installed 2.1, so restoring won't help. The only tried and true workaround so far is to reboot the phone after using any application. After I started doing this I'm getting much better battery life than with 2.0.2. Here's my current usage stats...

(WiFi on, 3G on, local services off, Bluetooth on, Fetch two mail accounts every 30 minutes, screen brightness 25%)

Usage 3 hours, 59 minutes
    Standby 1 Day, 23 Hours
    Call time 18 minutes (current period)

The battery indicator is at 50%, so with a little luck I'll be able to squeeze out almost 4 days of standby time (on top of the 4 hours of usage) before it's down to 10%... and that's with everything on except LS. :)

7. Reefbone macrumors regular

I noticed something today that could be related. I accidentally selected the App Store icon... then reurned to the home screen and started Safari as I had intended. After a few minutes in Safari I got a message that it could not connect to the App Store. At the time it struck me as odd because it seems that the App store was running in the background.

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I did that too and when I transferred my music, some of the album artwork was black (not the no album artwork...fully black).

So I restored again and it worked.

So it can be a problem.

9. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think that is acceptable, having to reboot after using an app. That's just not how the iPhone should work.

That is strange. It could very well have been running in the background. The thing is there's just no way to see what processes are running, and a way to terminate them.

But this problem surely must be software or not? But if it was software wouldn't everybody be experiencing this problem? I can't think of a way it could be hardware, but I can't think of why everyone wouldn't be experiencing this if it was software either?

10. Chicagomac08 macrumors member

After the restore I can say that things have been MUCH BETTER:)

whatever was stuck is no longer causing the issue and battery life is much better. I will give stats once I am more than a few hours in...

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I couldn't agree more, but before they fix it, this is the only sure-fire workaround we've got. Supposedly, another method is to hold down the Home button for 10 seconds, but the jury is out on whether this in fact kills all applications or just the one in the foreground.

12. Chicagomac08 macrumors member

I there an area that reviews apps that might be causing the problems we are discussing?

I hate that I just deleted all of my apps just so I can have a working phone. I just put MLB at Bat back on and am testing to see if this is the problem app.....I hope not because it is my favorite....Go Cubs.....:D

13. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I've had this happen to me a few times right back from when I got the phone withe 2.0. The first time I noticed it I did a restore which cleared it. When I mentioned it on this board I got the recommendation to turn the phone off for a short time and then turn it back on. I have had the unexplained high usage a few times since then and toggling the power on and of has always fixed what ever was stuck running.

I would recommend toggling the power first before resorting to a restore.

14. donm3ga macrumors member

Same problem here, just happened last night. Bumping this thread to see if any more solutions have come up.

15. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I had a weird issue last night with mine, I was talking to my GF and had my bluetooth on but kept glancing at the iPhone since I was getting emails and stuff. Well the battery wasn't really going down or anything but all of a sudden about after an hour of talking the phone shut off and gave the power plug in alert. I never saw the 20% or the 10% alerts about batter and the meter never really went down. I didn't have this problem in 2.0 but maybe its a quirk I saw for a moment in 2.1.

16. jah921123 macrumors member

I had the same problem right after I updated to 2.1. I wanted to test it to see just how improved the battery life was, so I let it run until it was empty. After about two days of light use the battery meter hadn't gone down at all and I was thinking "Wow, the battery life really is awesome now!"

Well, not quite. All of a sudden the next day my phone shut down and I got the "No battery" warning message. I knew it was too good to be true :) So, I charged it back to full and haven'thad that problem again. The battery indicator now seems to be working normally.

Battery life does seem to be better, though.

17. needthephone macrumors 6502a

same happened to me last few nights so I looked on mr to see if there was a thread. During the day I can keep battery 100% without using it but overnight with nothing on of drains to 20%.

Using 2.1 I need to fix this as I'm travelling with my iPhone overseas.

18. iP2 macrumors member

Wow, this just happened to me. 3 days went by w/ the battery meter at full. Amazed...until it just suddenly ran out of juice. So I charged it back to full....1 day of use, the battery meter still reads full. Now I'm worried that the indicator is not calibrated or registering actual battery status.

So is this how they increased battery life - By leaving the indicator at Full all the time? :)

But I do see better battery life, just wish I'd get that 20% warning again.

19. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update

I did another loose test:

9:06 AM: I took a picture of my usage (see 1st pic, take note of battery level) then put the iPhone to sleep.

6:13 PM (same day): I wake my iPhone and I immediately get the 10% warning, and my usage had changed and my data, so I suspect something was accessing data (see 2nd pic).

I had Push on, but I only received 2 or 3 simple text mails, but that doesn't explain the data usage. I mean 2-3 text emails can't equal 1.7 MB?

This is really starting to get frustrating. I'm going to do a hard reset, but if it persists then I'm going to try a full restore.

snverhallen

PS. I read a story where someone had the same problem, they restored but then the same problem occurred. If it was a software issue, wouldn't a full restore solve this problem? So does this mean it's something hardware related? I can't see how, but if it were hardware then it should disappear with a restore so... what is it?

Attached Files:

20. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

My first-gen iPhone (16GB) is also losing battery power since upgrading to 2.1, though not as fast as yours. I can't yet quantify stats but battery icon shows dramatic decrease even when phone is not used.

21. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I have the exact same thing but on a 3G phone!! also 16GB will go through a cycle (battery down to 0% then 100%) and if things dosent improve i will do a restore i guess :(

22. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now I have a feeling my battery may be faulty... but I don't know how this could just happen after updating the firmware.

The reason I say this is because the results of my tests. I did a full cycle, which many people have reported to increase their battery life and make the battery indicator more accurate.

Right after I unplugged my iPhone after a full cycle:

[​IMG]

I first started browsing the interent via 3G for 23 m. and my battery indicator already was showing battery loss.

[​IMG]

I continued to browse and after 38 m. my battery was already about a quarter gone! I couldn't believe it.

[​IMG]

I then had it on standby for about 5 hours and I did lose a bit of battery. Then I used it for 27 m. of only music usage my battery just nose dived again.

[​IMG]

Then again after another 17 minutes or so of music usage and 1 short video the battery nosedived again.

[​IMG]

So now it doesn't seem to be a case of background apps making my battery drain but just a bad battery (I think). I'm curious what you think about this.

snverhallen

23. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am continuing to get this problem, so I am in the middle of doing a 100% fresh restore. I even deleted my own copy of 2.1, so iTunes is downloading it again.

I'll report back once I try the battery out, after the restore.

snverhallen

24. Mauricio N. macrumors newbie

So, did the full restore help? I'm having the same problem here, and I don't know if that's an OS bug or a faulty battery...

25. icewing macrumors 6502

Last night I fully charged my phone, finished at about 1 am. Just before that I had been using Safari to access the NFL site. This morning when I woke up, my phone had over 8 or 9 hours of usage on it. I'm wondering if it's Safari with certain web pages?

Do you typically use Safari every day before these big battery drains?