Strange camera bug/defect (with examples)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waltermitty, Jun 23, 2010.

1. waltermitty macrumors member

I noticed today while using my camera that there is a dark "smudge" in the corner of every normal picture I take. It does not show up in video because video is zoomed in past the defect. Has anyone else encountered this? I have attached some images showing... Also, I have never touched the camera area on the back of the phone and noticed this problem before removing the plastic... It is not on the external lens.

Edit:

So I used the microscope at work just now and noticed that there are two transparent layers past the external case, and BOTH of them have artifacts, including what appears to be a rather "large" lines of perhaps glue, it is textured like something that has dried. It's very difficult to take a microscope picture with a DSLR, but I attached it anyway. It shows the middle layer. The blue is light glare, of course. They should be making these parts in clean rooms...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      232.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      107.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      119 KB
      Views:
    • P6230905.jpg
      P6230905.jpg
      File size:
      266.4 KB
      Views:
  2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

sorry, I don't have that problem =\

wait did you say you removed the plastic? if you didn't, maybe it would help to remove it

3. waltermitty thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I removed the plastic after I noticed the defect and it remained the same. The above photos were taken without the plastic.

4. dojoman macrumors 65816

Did you check if there are any fingerprints on the lens? Nice watch.

5. noobinator macrumors 601

6. waltermitty thread starter macrumors member

7. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

It's probably something under the glass, on the lens. I have the same thing on my 3G, but larger and less pronounced. You'll probably have to take it in to an Apple Store and have it looked at.

8. waltermitty thread starter macrumors member