Strange Happening at Home

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Huntn, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

About 3 weeks ago, my wife came home from a trip, took off her jewelry and set it on the coffee table, at least she thinks she did. I've told her not to do this. A very expensive ring went missing. We've been searching for this ring off and on since then, hesitating to call the insurance company.

Here is the strange part. During the search, my wife cleaned out the top drawer of her night stand, looking for the ring, but also deciding it needed to be cleaned out and straightened up, she emptied most of it and left the drawer open. When we came back from a long weekend trip, yesterday, she did not notice last night because we went to bed not turning the bedroom light on.

This morning she glanced at the night stand drawer, and sitting by itself are not only the ring, but two other pieces of jewelry she swears she does not keep in her nightstand and this is after she has cleaned this drawer out! Of note, I had also previously checked this drawer out.

It's unexplainable. It could be supernatural. Anyone heard reports of mischievous spirits hiding personal items and then returning them? Or maybe they found the lost items and are helping out. ;)

2. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

It is logically impossible for something to turn up missing. Once something turns up, it is no longer missing.

As to mischievous spirits, we'd need to know more about your living arrangements. Any kids/sisters/friends/housekeepers/superintendants with keys who might feel entitled to borrow something?

3. Huntn, Sep 23, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

That seems to be a common phrase or maybe I said it wrong. :)

We (2 of us) live alone and we have a security system with interior motion detectors. No one has access to the house. If they did, they would need to know our exact schedule, and have the opportunity to sneak in and out, several times without being noticed by us or neighbors. Yes, it's possible that my wife is playing a joke on me, or one or both of us are suffering from some mental condition, but it's unlikely. ;)

The only other curious thing that: Our garden tub has water jets that screw into the tub. It's not unusual for us to come home off a trip and find one particular jet unscrewed and laying in the bottom of the tub. I have no explanation for this, but tend to think there is a mechanical reason, although unknown. Our house is on a concrete slab and although I've never noticed any vibrations while sitting in the tub, it's possible that subtle vibrations from some source cause this to happen. I have tightened it up by hand and later find it loose, but this could be just from running water in the tub. We don't use the jets other than to periodically clean them out.

4. Scepticalscribe, Sep 23, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, an endlessly repeating joke at home in with my mother - before she lost her marbles - was the perennial mystery of where she used to put her car keys. Sometimes, she forgot to put them in the drawer where they were supposed to have been put; tables, side tables, handbags, coat pockets, jacket pockets, she would put them down when she returned to the house and forget where she had dumped them. If I (or my brother spotted them lying around) we would put them where they were supposed to be, which is where she would find them the next time she would go looking for them, not having remembered to put them there herself, and not having remembered that she hadn't put them there herself.

And then, there were stories about her ear-rings. Or actual rings. Or necklaces.

Myself, I attribute it to slight lapses in concentration, and, or, memory, caused by multi-tasking (not paying full attention to where you are placing something because you are thinking of something else) and age. Watching my mother, I would suspect that from your mid 60s, these sort of dramas can become more frequent.

5. daimos, Sep 23, 2015

daimos macrumors member

it could be dementia. it happens to me, and i'm scared ****.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

In all seriousness, you could have yourselves a pack rat.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree with the comments, even the pack rat ;), however, the fact that these three pieces of jewelry appear in a empty drawer, after the drawer has been emptied and searched is entriquing for me. Maybe one of us is sleep walking or something else. ;)

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The drawer might have been emptied and searched; however, sometimes, you don't actually see what is right under your nose, even when you are looking for it.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It is said that during end times (if the world is supposed to end on Sep 23rd), that inanimate objects can become animate. That combined with Mercury retrograde that is going on can maybe explain things that can't be explained.... If you need something to blame it on :D

Yesterday I was filling up my spice containers. I opened the lid for a small container I wanted to fill up with chili flakes. I wasn't sure if the lid would allow for the chili's to pour out so I only put a small amount in and went to put the lid back on to test it. The only problem - the lid was gone.

We searched everywhere. Moved the stove, cleaned out the garbage; and then I stopped. It made no sense. It was 30 seconds. I took off the lid and then it disappeared. I was upset at the universe for screwing around with me like that. I take off a lid and it disappears? Made no sense.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

There you go being logical on me. :) These were not in a corner hiding under a sock, they were right in the middle of a bare drawer. My wife must be playing one heck of a gag on me. :D

Did you find the top? Behind the refridgerator when you threw it over your shoulder? :D

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Lol no! I looked again today. Quickly. I refuse to play games with some higher power. I hope it had its laughs at my expense.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I agree here. I'm sure we've all experienced frantically looking for something very hard and intently, only to realize it was right in front of us the entire time.

When I used to work in retail pharmacy, a customer would come in and ask for their Rx. A few times in my career, I would search the bin not to find it. I'd check the computer, it would say its done. I'd check the bin again- not there. Then I'd go on a all out hunt throughout the other bins and tun the pharmacy upside down... only to find it right in the bin where it was supposed to be the entire time. It's funny how the mind works.

I just lost a bill I was supposed to mail yesterday. For the past 18 hours I've been debating if I actually mailed it out or not. It turns out it was in my jacket pocket, where I never remember putting it. It does make sense I'd put it in my pocket to go outside and put it in the mailbox though.

Or ghosts are moving my crap around.

13. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Jedi in your area maybe practicing moving stuff around?
    Likely more than ghosts me thinks mmmm. ;)

14. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

15. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Let's talk about your relation with your wife for a moment: any reason she might want you to get institutionalized? I saw that happening on TV the other day.

That, or paranormal activities. Quite sure about it.

16. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

17. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You need a home video monitoring device of some sort. They are under $200. It could be the next blockbuster.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You see, when you mislay something and realise you have no idea where it is, your reaction can be governed by stress (the old 'Oh My God - where is that'?), especially if you are in a hurry and you need it.

Sometimes, walking away completely, doing something else, and then - later, much later - sitting down and trying to recall exactly where you were - and what you were doing - when you last laid eyes on that object - may help. That is when you recall, 'oh, I was wearing the dark navy jacket that day' (and you check the pockets of the dark navy jacket and - voilà!), or, realise, the phone (yes, the landline…) rang, and you put down said missing object to answer it, and now, on looking, yes, there it is, beside your notebook……and so on.

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

No that was not me on TV. :p She is the one who lost her ring, not me. She might be the one in danger of being institutionalized or has turned into a practical joker, but to seriously consider a scenario like this as a joke, it would most likely be me as the prankster, because it was her item missing, she who is on the complacent side with her jewelry, and me teaching her a lesson. In fact she asked if I was messing with her, but I was'nt. Maybe it was the spirit teaching her a lesson or helping out. :)

The scenario that has been described as likely, ring under our noses and not noticed is possible, but since the drawer had been cleaned out, we had both checked it, and this is where it was found, sitting in the middle of an empty drawer, I find this to be strange, very strange. Bottom line, she found her ring and we are both happy we did not call the insurance company. :)

20. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Hmm, that changes everything...

Maybe you guys just watched too much Peter Jackson. :D