Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I've been seeing some unusual behavior over the last week or so and was wondering if it's just me. The sequence of events goes something like this:

1. I post a reply to a thread. I am automatically subscribed to that thread.
  2. Some time later, someone else posts a reply to the thread. The forum software sends a notification to my Gmail account about the new reply.
  3. I click the link in the notification e-mail and and the browser loads up the newly updated thread.
  4. I click "Post Reply" (or perhaps "Quote"), compose my witty rejoinder, and click the "Preview" button.

When I click "Preview", instead of the page reloading and showing the preview of my post, I just get a blank page. If I click the "Reload" button on the browser, it reloads the "New Reply" editor page, but my reply is gone. I usually have to navigate away from the thread completely, and then come back to it and try the reply again (which then usually "takes").

Any thoughts? It's not the end of the world, but it is unusual. The only thing that I know I've changed is that my e-mail for notifications is now my Gmail account (instead of my local ISP account).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I suggest logging out of the forums, trashing all of your cookies for macrumors.com or forums.macrumors.com, making sure cookies are enabled (at least for "sites you navigate to") and then logging back into the forums. That can often cure transient glitches in forum features.

If not, it would be helpful to know if, when you follow that sequence, it always happens or sometimes happens to you, and whether anybody else has had this happen to them.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I suggest logging out of the forums, trashing all of your cookies for macrumors.com or forums.macrumors.com, making sure cookies are enabled (at least for "sites you navigate to") and then logging back into the forums. That can often cure transient glitches in forum features.

If not, it would be helpful to know if, when you follow that sequence, it always happens or sometimes happens to you, and whether anybody else has had this happen to them.
OK. I just did this:
  1. Logged out of the forums.
  2. Deleted all of my cookies for *.macrumors.com.
  3. Logged back in.
  4. Went to my Gmail inbox and clicked on the link that was embedded in the notification e-mail for your reply to my previous post.
  5. Clicked "Quote" to quote your post in my new reply, and typed up the reply that you're reading right now.
  6. Clicked "Preview Post".

After clicking "Preview Post," the browser still loaded up a blank page. I even checked the source (using "View Source"), but it's a completely blank page.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Can you post the final URL of the blank page?

arn

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Can you post the final URL of the blank page?
Sure. When I got the e-mail notification about your reply, I clicked through the link and landed here. Then I clicked "Quote" to quote your reply, and started composing this response. Now I'm about to click "Preview Post"...

... and I end up at blank page, with the URL https://forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=285727.

Now, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I can click the "back" button at this point and I'm taken back to the "Reply to Thread" editor window. What's more, the reply that I was composing is still intact. What I'm going to do at this point is copy the entire response text, navigate away from this thread, come back to this thread, reply, and paste in my copied text. At that point, it will behave properly when I try to "Preview Post" or "Submit Reply".

This is not just the most important problem in the history of mankind, so don't waste a lot of time on my account. I just wanted to bring it up in case it's affecting other people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.