Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phonelover01

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
I've tried Tunein and Ootunes, and a ton of different streams, and they ALL buffer/skip/stutter/stop to the point where the apps just aren't usable. iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1 here. Have swapped my phone for an unrelated reason an the old phone was exactly the same. WIFI, 3G, LTE, makes NO difference. The exact same stream that plays fine on my netbook over my WIFI network, sounds terrible on my iPhone even though it has full bars.

What the heck could be going on? :(

tariqmc

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Windsor, UK
I'm having the same problems.
OS 6.0.1 (both)
iPhone 5 on EE LTE in UK
iPad 4th generation (with LTE) on EE in UK
TuneinRadio - constant buffering
BBC Radio App - constant connection problem (it doesn't buffer)
RadioBox - constant buffering

I did notice that TuneinRadio would start buffering and jump to 30% (approx) and then seconds later drop down to 6-7% and start creeping up. I saw this on both my iPhone and iPad.

When I tried streaming from the BBC news app it worked instantly with no problems.

I wonder if audio streaming is somehow a 2nd class stream from video. I know EE made a big thing of streaming films and news instantly on LTE so they may well have optimised that.

(BTW for all Americans, yes that is how you spell optimised, we invented the language, it’s up to us :))

skoldpadda

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
iPhone 5 32 GB
OS - 6.0 (10A405)
Network - 3 Mobile

TuneInRadio - Works Flawless, been listening to LBC for the last hour straight.
BBC Radio - Works fine, came out of tuneinradio, fired up BBC Radio, listened for 15 minutes, back to LBC.

Both work fine on 3G and Wi-Fi

tariqmc

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Windsor, UK
Did some more test this morning on my commute in and can cofirm that with iPhone 5 6.0.1 on EE FTE Tunein Radio is struggling. It initially jumps to 39% and then jumps back to 6% buffering. It appear to do this almost everytime, so something odd happening. I tried Radio Box and BBC Radio app, both failed to stream. If I switch to BBC News app and watch live video it works instantly and to a high quality. Something odd with audio streaming.

sfax

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Did some more test this morning on my commute in and can cofirm that with iPhone 5 6.0.1 on EE FTE Tunein Radio is struggling. It initially jumps to 39% and then jumps back to 6% buffering. It appear to do this almost everytime, so something odd happening. I tried Radio Box and BBC Radio app, both failed to stream. If I switch to BBC News app and watch live video it works instantly and to a high quality. Something odd with audio streaming.

Anyone find a solution to this please? I get exactly the same problem as described on Tunein Radio (and FStream) with EE iPhone 5. 39% and then back to 6%. Unusable. Used to work perfectly on my old iPhone 4 with Three and 3G. Tried fiddling the settings and switching off FTE but no dice

tariqmc

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Windsor, UK
Anyone find a solution to this please? I get exactly the same problem as described on Tunein Radio (and FStream) with EE iPhone 5. 39% and then back to 6%. Unusable. Used to work perfectly on my old iPhone 4 with Three and 3G. Tried fiddling the settings and switching off FTE but no dice

Hi Sfax, no solution so far. I have also tried the BBC Radio app and RadioBox. They all show the same problem. I think it is EE. My iPad has the same problem on EE. However if I use the BBC news app to stream live video it is almost instant. SpeedTest also shows good speeds. The is something about a radio / audio stream.

sfax

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Hi Sfax, no solution so far. I have also tried the BBC Radio app and RadioBox. They all show the same problem. I think it is EE. My iPad has the same problem on EE. However if I use the BBC news app to stream live video it is almost instant. SpeedTest also shows good speeds. The is something about a radio / audio stream.

Thanks for the info. I tested two iPhone 5s side by side with TuneIn radio. One was on 3 and 3G signal, the other was mine on EE with 3G signal. The 3 network worked flawlessly on 5live. EE didn't work at all. Never even connects, just buffers at 39% then 6%. Definitely EE at fault.

I used to listen to the radio twice a day every day on my iphone on 3. If I had signed up with EE I'd be asking for a fix or my money back but my iPhone 5 is a freebie with my work so I'm stuck with EE.

Will wander into the shop on Oxford St next week and see what they have to say - I expect nothing to be resolved. I've found 4G to be poor too. Coverage in London very patchy and had better 3G with 3

sherrie.melton5

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
TuneIn is working fine for me, on my iPhone 5 device. The quality of music streaming through this app meets my expectation.

tariqmc

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Windsor, UK
Working now

My TuneIn is working now. I switched to RadioBOX but came back to TuneIn to see if it still had the same issue. It looks like it has been fixed.:) I strongly thing it was a glitch in the new LTE service from EE.:confused:

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
I have been on Tunein on my iPhone 4 for about 2 years and with each iOS update or app update it seems to buffer more and MORE?! While my Sirius sat app streams flawlessly. Sux because I live in Canada and no longer can listen to my hometown Boston radio station without annoying buffers ! Any trouble shooting tips I can try before giving up completely ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.