Streaming Service of Choice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrf097, Dec 4, 2014.

?

What Streaming Service do you use?

1. Spotify

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. Rdio

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Beats Music

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Google Play Music

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. Amazon Instant MP3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sony Music Unlimited

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Rhapsody

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (mention in post)

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I've been using Spotify for the longest time, mostly because I get a discount where I only pay $4.99 for Premium instead of $9.99, but with the fact that they're beginning to lose more money than they make, coupled with the fact that we're 3 months out of the iPhone 6 launch and the app still hasn't been updated and has had the same issues for months as well, I'm starting to consider other streaming music services.

I was thinking about using Beats Music, only since it's backed by Apple (a company that won't be going anywhere for a long, long, long time), or switching to Rdio, since they have an equally large library.

Does anyone use any other music streaming service? For Beats Music and Rdio users, as well as users of others like Google Play Music, Amazon Instant, etc., how do those services hold up?

My only real requirement is that I can have a "My Music/Library" section SEPARATE from the "My Playlist section.

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I like Spotify... and I even like the interface... and I only pay $5/mo (Student)

I tried Google Music and hated the interface. Also don't like the fact that they have no desktop application.

I have Amazon Music by default because I am a Prime member ($49/yr Student), but their streaming selection sucks and they don't have anything newer than 6 months old.

Have not tried the others...

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Google All Access Music .... I don't have any complaints with it, so I'm pretty much satisfied. Plus I like that it's tied to my Google account.

Amazon Music .... Comes with Prime. I rarely use it, but I do like the UI. The auto playlists are not bad neither. I just hate that while some albums from an artist are free with prime, other albums from the same artist are not. Amazon Music would probably gain more prime users if they offered free streaming for ALL music in their catalog.

Rhapsody ..... Get unlimited skips and no ads for free with T-mobile. I hate the UI. Damn near never use. If you don't get this for free, I would suggest avoiding it.

Milk Music ..... This is a Pandora killer. Love the UI.

Soundcloud..... If you into remixes, indie, and club mixes, then this music app is a must.

Google Music and Soundcloud is what I use the most of a daily basis.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Pandora, because it's my favorite price... FREE.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Rdio is seriously underrated. They have the best apps across all platforms and a UI that is much cleaner than Spotify or any of the other services on that list. Spotify could be a viable option but I still hate their UI and feel their apps aren't quite up to Rdio.

The company Beats acquired for Beats Music was pretty stellar too prior to the transition.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Is movie streaming included in this thread? If so, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Suddenlink.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Google Music - Uploaded my library and tried it out. Don't like the ugly interface and it's also somewhat clunky.

Amazon Music - I'm a Prime member ($49/yr student) but I've found the selection to be pretty lacking.

So I still mostly cycle between using Pandora and iTunes Radio. I found iTunes Radio to be off when choosing related songs to play but once I went into iTunes on my Mac and manually edited the type of songs I wanted to hear from each playlist, it seems a lot better.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Pandora didn't make the cut :eek:

That's what I use. I'm not married to it, but its just what I use.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'll be honest, I started listening to Pandora because it was on my car radio. Truthfully, I've found that I just like it. Did I mention, it's free? I was surprised not to see it up on the poll.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

My guess is the the OP was looking for on demand streaming services rather than services where you cannot directly select the songs--like Pandora or iTunes Radio.

I use Spotify Premium most of the time but sometimes use iTunes Radio. I have access to Amazon since I am a Prime member but have not used it.

11. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

On demand streaming? You mean I have to actually pick all the songs? I'll leave that to someone else. I'll just hit skip or not.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I use Spotify for the same reason I buy music and movies on iTunes. It's just the best option all around.

14. samiwas macrumors 68000

I use Pandora, but the paid version so I don't have to hear ads. It also does a great mix based on the bands I choose. I don't usually want to pick each song, especially when I get in a working groove. I have used Spotify some to listen to some different things that I don't really care to buy, but would like to listen to sometimes.

Tried iTunes Radio, was just whatever. But, I pretty much don't like anything Apple has put out recently software-related. Haven't tried any of the other services.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

StreamToMe and my own home server setup with all of my music.

But if I had to choose a service, it would be slacker. Probably because it was the first one I used and have stuck with it since then.

16. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

When I made this I was thinking of apps where I can individually listen to songs and not store anything locally/use iTunes.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I use Spotify because I can specify the artist, not just set up a radio station of artists with similar music to the only artist I want to hear.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can pick the artist and song with pandora, though it creates a station that not only plays that song but others within that genre.

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I like Spotify, but don't listen to a lot of streaming music. When I do it's that or iTunes Radio, but I prefer Spotify.

20. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Nothing wrong with Pandora--and I would use it over iTunes Radio but for me, I prefer Spotify. Right now I am just listening to streaming holiday music on Classical South Florida--a station I probably listen to more than Spotify--and it is free--except for whatever I choose to donate--and there are no commercials. :)

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

When Amazon Instant came out, I gave it a shot to see if it could replace Spotify, and the library is just nowhere near Spotify's, even for stuff older than 6 months.

I used to use Rdio, which does have a nice interface, but the library is still not on par with Spotify's.