Street View the iPhone 5's hidden feature? (speculation)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Funkmasta, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Funkmasta macrumors member

As I remember, C3 technologies had a 3d street view mode as far back as 2 years ago when they were acquired by Apple.

Assuming it was as far along as they suggested, might this be the "hidden feature" exclusive to the new iPhone that pushes people to upgrade?

Just speculating, it would be a good showcase for the new hardware.

2. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I seriously doubt it. C3 was working on their street view, but who knows how far along it was/is. Plus considering how that's a feature that even the iPhone 3G has now... it'd be kind of a smack in the face to say "upgrade to iOS 6 and lose street view! If you want it back, BUY OUR NEW IPHONE!"

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No, it would make no sense to limit that to the new iPhone, especially since Google's standalone Maps app will likely have it.

If there is a new iPhone-only feature, it'll take advantage of the new hardware in some way. Maybe AirDrop or group FaceTime.

5. The-Barron macrumors member

The-Barron

the 'hidden feature' will surely be NFC to integrate with PassBook

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

This seems more likely, possibly with fingerprint sensor home button.

7. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

When you go to the purchased section in iTunes (in iOS), it says the feature is not currently available in this beta, even in the latest. I think there will be a videos related unannounced feature.

8. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

"We'd like to introduce a new feature you've had for a while now"? Yeah, I don't think that really qualifies. It's not a feature that would drive the masses to pick new iPhones.

9. Funkmasta thread starter macrumors member

I'm not talking about the current street view that google offers, I'm talking about the fully 3d street view that C3 had working behind closed doors at the time of their acquisition by apple.

This type of 3d would be a good showcase for new hardware. Think of the polygonal buildings that go by in turn by turn mode, only skinned with high res textures.

10. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I understood what you were saying.

I'm saying that taking away Google street view and then making a huge announcement about us getting Apple street view would be... underwhelming.

"We're taking away something cool and giving you something just like it" isn't the stuff headlines are made from. That feature is not going to make anyone want to dump their old iPhone so they can get the latest model.

It's not just about announcing something unexpected. That "something" needs to make people want to upgrade. I don't believe Apple street view meets that standard.

11. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

12. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Makes sense, Apple bought out Authentech rather than just cutting a software licensing deal. Also this would be another layer of security in the NFC and Passbook.

Bring it on.

13. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Why would they integrate it into the home button when the technology they bought (are trying to buy) integrates the fingerprint reader into the screen?

----------

Why does Apple need NFC???
    Their existing solution with PassBook leverages existing infrastructure to accomplish the same thing without the need for retailers to install new hardware.

14. Funkmasta thread starter macrumors member

Just like it?

Current streetview is ancient technology, its a quicktime VR.

Fully 3D street view would

1: Be nothing like anything currently available

and

2: Be a bonafide barnbuster as a tech demo.

I've gone on record that I think Apple's maps are going to blow people away, I don't think people on the web realize how cool people will find it.

15. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Word...:apple:

16. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. I suppose your guess is just about as valid as anyone else's opinion. But I still say no. Totally redone street view or not, it just doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. Not something that they would hold off till the end to announce. But maybe that's just because I never use street view. Never really found it helpful.

17. Funkmasta thread starter macrumors member

I think the main reason Apple's maps are so impressive to me us that it feels like virtual tourism. Zooming around cities most users will never step foot in, all in 3d.

It duplicates the feeling I had the first time
    I saw satellite mapping, "oh let's look for the house". It makes it fun.

Just an opinion of course. I was running it on iPad 3 fwiw.

18. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

thats what i did when googles navigation came out but the initial novelty soon wore off as it makes it distracting and more cluttered. I found the normal simple navigation much clearer and less distracting.

I imagine it will be the same for 3d navigation. Oooh wheres that big building it shows on my map...BANG oops i just crashed

19. DrSD macrumors member

20. Oletros, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

And the data needed to show those gorgeus 3D renderings come exactly from where?

----------

And, what C3 technology are you talking about? The 3D polygonal building with high res textures are 3D Flyover maps

21. newagemac macrumors 68020

Street View itself isn't that big a deal to most people so an announcement by Apple for something like Street View wouldn't be all that exciting either. Most people I know had no idea it was even part of the Maps application. They use the maps but don't use Street View. Of course, here on tech forums some people claim not having Street View is a big deal but they obviously need to get out a bit more.

In the real world, Street View just isn't very popular.

22. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

I would hop so cause right now the iPhone 5 is just the iPhone 4S but taller. lol...#AppleFail

23. ek9max macrumors regular

Do you guys really use street view that much? If it works during turn by turn navigation. Awesome.

But it doesn't. So for me it was a gimmick that I used 2-3 times just to check my own house out. Lol

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

That is my #1 wish. It will be very helpful in every day tasks.

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes.

If you know what the store front, etc.looks like for a new destination, from a drivers eye perspective (not helicopter's, because I'm not that wealthy yet) it can be much easier to find a place on first pass without passing it.