Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I picked up a new Unibody MacBook Pro today from the Apple Store and it has a dead pixel. I know the story, up to 5 is "within spec" but this is right in the middle of the right side of the screen, so when reading documents etc it is in the road and very irritating.

I've tried to fix it, but had no luck. Tried the tapping method as well as a JavaApp with lots of colours changing quickly. I'm not sure whether it is stuck or dead - if it is dead then that'll be why none of these methods are working.

What can I do? Is there any definite chance of getting an exchange? Or is there any other sort of fix I can try? Everything is fine apart from this, and I really can't live with it being in the middle right of the screen. If it was on the edge, then I'd barely notice it/care.

CorkHead

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
id take it straight back personally and see what they say. wouldnt be happy at all with having to live with what is basically a faulty laptop?

My 17 had the flickering screen issue, rest was perfect but couldnt live with it. I got it replaced and am waiting for my new one to ship out

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
id take it straight back personally and see what they say. wouldnt be happy at all with having to live with what is basically a faulty laptop?

My 17 had the flickering screen issue, rest was perfect but couldnt live with it. I got it replaced and am waiting for my new one to ship out
There's a big difference between having a dead/stuck pixel and a flickering screen. A flickering screen is definitely defective. On the other hand, Apple has a policy saying that a certain amount of dead/stuck pixels is acceptable. However, they have been known to show some flexibility before, so I would definitely go to your local store and complain. Say that it impedes your work because it's so distracting, or something of that nature. Be firm, but polite.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Thing is it is an hour and a half on the bus to get to my nearest Apple Store! I'll give them a call tomorrow, explain that it is in the middle of the screen so it is distracting etc.

If it wasn't in the middle area of the screen, and was on the rim instead I wouldn't think twice about keeping it. It is just really noticeable and irritating!

I thought it was a stuck pixel but I think it is dead.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Just back from the Apple Store - they did an exchange and let me open the new one and check it over for any dead pixels etc!

So far, I think I have a perfect machine (touch wood!).

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Just back from the Apple Store - they did an exchange and let me open the new one and check it over for any dead pixels etc!

Phew... what a relief. I wish I had an Apple Store nearby, potential dead pixels is why I dread to order online.

It's really aggravating that a premium brand with the most obscene profit margins in the computer industry allows up to FIVE dead/stuck pixels. Anything less than a zero dead pixel policy from a company like Apple is just offensive.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Phew... what a relief. I wish I had an Apple Store nearby, potential dead pixels is why I dread to order online.

It's really aggravating that a premium brand with the most obscene profit margins in the computer industry allows up to FIVE dead/stuck pixels. Anything less than a zero dead pixel policy from a company like Apple is just offensive.

i agree. but if you get one dead pixel it means that your screen is failing and you will most likely have more dead pixels start to show up

lapino

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Be happy to live in the US, Apple stores in Europe and Belgium in particular ar a LOT less helpful.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Be happy to live in the US, Apple stores in Europe and Belgium in particular ar a LOT less helpful.

I beg to differ.
My local apple store has helped me quite a lot.
Just this week they replaced my ipod nano because the touch wheel intermittently did not work. I am so glad they did as a touchwheel that works 100% of the time is truly bliss :)

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
i agree. but if you get one dead pixel it means that your screen is failing and you will most likely have more dead pixels start to show up

Aren't dead pixel a result of the manufacturing and not that the screen's failing? What I knew is that they can't develop themselves over time.

frogger2020

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006

Cool! I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with a stuck pixel on an iPod video. They took it back no problem.

lapino

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Well that could be in the UK, but my experience in Belgium with Apple store is nog that positive. Mind, that's not the fault of the people working there who where, as far as they could, helpful. But in my case, I had a clearly broken MB on my first day and they would NOT replace it with a new one. They did contact Apple and two days after that they agreed to let me take a new one anyway (and I paid extra to upgrade to a MBP then). But like I read sometimes here, a return policy etc simply does NOT exist here. Buy a MBP and return within 30min, they will NOT take it back not even with a restocking fee.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Aren't dead pixel a result of the manufacturing and not that the screen's failing? What I knew is that they can't develop themselves over time.

i had an LCD tv that started with 3 dead pixels at the top of the screen and over time it slowly worked its way down the entire screen. it looked like a tear in the screen. when i worked for best buy screens that were on the display wall would also develop dead pixels over time. that defect you are talking about leaves it vulnerable to developing more dead pixels. so yes they can.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Just make sure once you go there you are extremely nice.
That helps a lot.

Yeah - I got chatting to the guy, he was saying he was having a bad day with the handheld till things, made a joke that when I worked in retail, I was the exact kind of customer I hated serving.

To be honest, I was being more appreciative of them actually exchanging it than being annoyed I had a dead pixel in the first place.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
i had an LCD tv that started with 3 dead pixels at the top of the screen and over time it slowly worked its way down the entire screen. it looked like a tear in the screen. when i worked for best buy screens that were on the display wall would also develop dead pixels over time. that defect you are talking about leaves it vulnerable to developing more dead pixels. so yes they can.

I think it can be a sign of either the tip of the iceberg or just a dead or stuck pixel, plain and simple. I've been lucky with all LCD screens except one, an old 4:3 1600x1200 Dell screen with a single pixels that's always bright red. It was like that from the beginning and no other pixels have hung or died. Apparently, if you're lucky, you can apply some pressure and 'massage' a dead or stuck pixel back into action, if it's a traditional matte screen with a semi-soft surface that give ripples when you press it. It's been known to work on the rare occasion. But of course if the screen is behind hard glass, you're screwed.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
I think it can be a sign of either the tip of the iceberg or just a dead or stuck pixel, plain and simple. I've been lucky with all LCD screens except one, an old 4:3 1600x1200 Dell screen with a single pixels that's always bright red. It was like that from the beginning and no other pixels have hung or died. Apparently, if you're lucky, you can apply some pressure and 'massage' a dead or stuck pixel back into action, if it's a traditional matte screen with a semi-soft surface that give ripples when you press it. It's been known to work on the rare occasion. But of course if the screen is behind hard glass, you're screwed.

hmm i've never heard of the "massage" technique. does that really work?!

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
hmm i've never heard of the "massage" technique. does that really work?!

Google "dead pixel cure" or something. I found a few guides, but the glass denied me any success. Course, I did apply pressure to the glass and got the ripple effect, but I think the pixel was deep within its grave and there was no coming back to life.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Google "dead pixel cure" or something. I found a few guides, but the glass denied me any success. Course, I did apply pressure to the glass and got the ripple effect, but I think the pixel was deep within its grave and there was no coming back to life.

wow thats something else. and here i was thinking i was an expert on TV screens and the like. i love learning stuff haha:cool:

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia

congrats! i touch myself when i get new apple products too.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.