iPad Stuck. iPad Air WiFi or rMini + LTE.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eddiexhart, Dec 29, 2013.

1. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

I know I know but I can't decide! I got money for christmas and I want to get an iPad. I already have a 64 GB iPhone 5S and a new 27" iMac but now I want an iPad. Can somebody help me. I don't know what I want. LOL What can I say, I'm a gadget person so I obsess over things like this until I can't decide for myself.
    Pathetic I know but I'm an indecisive buyer. :confused::confused::confused:

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Someone on the buy/sell forum is offering a brand new, still sealed miniR for about a hundred off of retail...

3. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I would suggest going to an Apple store or other place that sells them and play with both. It is the only way you will know which one is best for you.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Unfortunately you're going to need to figure out what you want before anyone's going to be able to really help.

The Air and the Mini each have their strengths and tradeoffs. Until you can decide which better fits your particular preferences you may as well just flip a coin.

As suggested, go to an Apple store and mess around with them for a while.

5. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

It's a really tough decision. Been sitting with an Air since Nov 1 and a rMini since launch day...have a few days left to make up my mind and still can't decide. :confused:

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with the rMini with LTE because you can use it almost anyway and its quite popular.

The bottom line however is which form factor to you prefer, the larger tablet or the smaller one. For my, I like the little guy, its easier for me to use in bed, in my recliner, while commuting on the subway or just referencing material while in karate class.

7. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

I decided for the Mini + LTE, because it has the Air's hardware with better portability. Plus you get LTE for the same price as an Air with WiFi only.

8. TheSwede macrumors regular

I got both the Air LTE and rMini LTE and I can honestly say that I have stopped using the Air. This is almost exclusively due to the portability of the rMini.

If you do not plan on taking your iPad outside and about the Air wifi is the device to get - it has that wow factor as well when you pick it up. screen is outstanding and It is absolutely stunning to hold and use.

If you want to take your iPad with you then you should consider the rMini.
    It goes with me everywhere and without adding any mentionable bulk in you coat pocket.

I do enjoy having both, but if I had to chose It would be the rMini LTE because of the portability, no other reason really.

9. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I have an Rmini with lte and love it; it's a wonderfully portable device. I've ended up using the gps when I've been lost in a multi-story mall.

10. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

My vote would be for the LTE version, too. I had it on the iPad 3, then got an rmini wifi thinking I would save some money. Took it back within a week and exchanged it for an LTE model. It's just too convenient.

11. Jasonkrick macrumors member

I am preferring the rMini over the Air for several reasons.

Easier portability in both size and weight.

Easier typing. I have large hands. The Air in its vertical position was even a stretch for me to type on. The mini in its vertical position is the perfect size for my hands for comfortable typing.

The screen clarity of the rMini is what I have been waiting for. I was very disappointed when the first mini came out without retina. There are a lot of things Apple does for money that angers me...and releasing the 1st gen mini without retina was one of them. It was absolutely a money making plan.

But...now that the mini comes in retina. I am happy to spend almost as much money for it as I did for a full size iPad.

LTE with iPad is not a big deal for me. The current data plans don't have unlimited data anymore. And I am used to unlimited data. Just as I am used to freedom of speech. Limiting data is like limiting freedom of speech to me.

So, I just tether off my phone that has unlimited data.

"If" they had unlimited data for iPad again, I would get it without hesitation.

12. PCtoMAC1 macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

Wifi Retina Mini here. I had both, though I'm not going to pay for data on my iPhone and an iPad. I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan, so the tethering option didn't exist.

Wifi works for me. Good luck!

13. Chevelle macrumors regular

I picked up an air today and I like it, but I may end up exchanging it for a mini. It gets to be a bit much when holding it for a while. Plus, I picked up a 13 Mbp today too so I'll probably use that more at home and the ipad for when I'm out and at work.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If your phone plan offers a free personal hotspot feature and you don't constantly use your iPad away from WiFi, go with the iPad Air. I think adding an iPad to my AT&T account would cost $10/month, not to mention the $129 hardware cost of an LTE model. So I have a WiFi iPad and turn on my hotspot when I need it.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was using that logic with my iPad mini before buying the LTE rMini the issue I ran into with that was it would kill my battery on my iPhone.

Its a workable solution but not a great solution as at times you may not easily pull out your phone, turn on the hotspot and then make sure the iPad is connecting to it.

For me (and this is a very specific example), when my kids wanted youtube on the mini and I'm driving. There's no way I'm going to pull out my phone, (while driving) and enable the hotspot. Yes this is an extreme example but believe it not, it occurred a number of times.

I love the simplicity and ease of having LTE access on my iPad without messing with my phone.

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Excellent reasons to get the LTE model. I have one and have never regretted it.

I have 2.5GB tethering included with my phone plan but as of today, the last day of the billing period, I have used 254MB. Nothing beats the convenience of just opening the cover of my Mini and it's ready to go anywhere and do anything.

17. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I had an iPad Air since the 3rd of November, and I really enjoyed it. I felt limited in flexibility outside of the house though. I needed my day pack to take it with me. I upgraded from an original mini, and my biggest concern was weight.
    The weight on the iPad air is perfect, and you get the screen size.

I ultimatly decided to go with the rmini LTE. Portability, plus it can run the newest apps and has the architecture of its bigger counterpart.

Either one is great though.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd get the Mini with LTE, especially since you can get 200MB free on it.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It definitely depends on the person. I might be more apt to buy the LTE version if it was just the $129 hardware upgrade. But then AT&T or anybody else wants you to pay more per month for the same amount of data just to connect it.

In my game, eff that. I'm still not over paying $5/month for a small bucket of text messages just so I wouldn't get ripped at 20 cents apiece. T-Mobile at least throws 200MB at you.

My iPad seems to connect pretty well after I get it connected that first time. As for battery, if it's a situation like that I have charging set up in the car. It's much more of a problem if you're on a picnic or something, so again it's just your own choice.