Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hey everyone,

I just realized that I have a stuck pixel on my screen. It is a tiny light blue spec, that doesn't go away when I restart.

All the advice online is to apply pressure, but with the glass display, I don't think it would be the same. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of it? Is this something apple would fix if I wasn't able to?

Thanks

*edit* I just realized that the pixel almost seems like it is "flickering" and the dimness is going up and down like a candle almost

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Run it until the stuck pixel goes away, if it ever does. But after overnight, if it doesn't fix it, it won't fit it.

Then call Apple and whine, even though technically they don't need to do anything, you might still get lucky.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Well the advice for "massaging" the screen does very well for me when I have stuck pixels. You do kinda have to press harder than you would with a normal screen, but it still gets the job done.

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
What is the general procedure for it? Do you have to do it at a certain point during startup, or can you just do it whenever? How much massaging is necessary?

Also, is it more effective then the pixel fix widget?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
What is the general procedure for it? Do you have to do it at a certain point during startup, or can you just do it whenever? How much massaging is necessary?

Also, is it more effective then the pixel fix widget?

Well for me, its whenever I see a stuck pixel, I just wrap my thumb with the microfiber cloth that came with the macbook, and the just press on the pixel and kinda rub in circles for a little bit until it's no longer there...I haven't had a pixel that wasn't fixed with that method...except of course my ONE dead pixel under the battery indicator, no big deal though, doesn't bother me

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Well the rubbing method isn't working. I tried doing it for a few minutes with no success. I am pushing pretty hard, but I don't want to break the screen or anything.

Been running the pixel fix, but I have to stop it since I need to use my computer. I guess I will try it overnight tonight.

Any suggestions? Is it possible it is a dead pixel even though it does have color? like I said, it seems to be changing colors, like its flickering sometimes, so I am confused.

Also, why would Apple not be responsible for fixing this?

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Its fixed!

I got really into with my knuckle and the microcloth covering it and finally it came out.

So is there a way to prevent these things in the future? What causes them exactly?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Its fixed!

I got really into with my knuckle and the microcloth covering it and finally it came out.

So is there a way to prevent these things in the future? What causes them exactly?

I'm not too sure about how to prevent them, since I think they are just part of the screen and they just happen. But I am glad you finally got rid of it, and yeah, I told you, you have to press pretty hard to actually touch the screen behind the glass to get to the pixel. At least now you know exactly what to do when it occurs again. ;)

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
This is the first one, but I am afraid if it happened this soon, they will keep happening...and even worse a dead one.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
how often are you getting stuck pixels???

Oh, I've had I think, 3 or 4 maybe...but I do look at the screen from different angles to find them, and especially with a lot of whites on my screen, firefox, itunes, IM windows, skype...stuck pixels show up a lot easier.

But of course, all my stuck pixels showed up in the first couple weeks, and I haven't had any since then, so I think I've broken my screen in so that it's working to expectations now. :)

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I recently noticed a stuck pixel on my Blackbook, it's blue or white and really only noticeable on a dark backgroud, but annoying when watching videos or whatever. I tried massaging it, but I'm not sure how long or hard I should do this as I don't want to damage the LCD. Any tips?

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Oh, I've had I think, 3 or 4 maybe...but I do look at the screen from different angles to find them, and especially with a lot of whites on my screen, firefox, itunes, IM windows, skype...stuck pixels show up a lot easier.

But of course, all my stuck pixels showed up in the first couple weeks, and I haven't had any since then, so I think I've broken my screen in so that it's working to expectations now. :)

Wow thats strange youve had so many! I havent had a single problem with my screen. I love it no matter what anyone else says about color wash out and viewing angles and all that other nonsense. I made a color profile im really happy with!
What panel do you have? Mine is the 9C89

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Wow thats strange youve had so many! I havent had a single problem with my screen. I love it no matter what anyone else says about color wash out and viewing angles and all that other nonsense. I made a color profile im really happy with!
What panel do you have? Mine is the 9C89

The same, I think I was just being picky and SEARCHING for something that doesn't look right lol. I love the screen too though, absolutely gorgeous. I actually prefer the glossy over my other monitor that has the matte finish.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
The same, I think I was just being picky and SEARCHING for something that doesn't look right lol. I love the screen too though, absolutely gorgeous. I actually prefer the glossy over my other monitor that has the matte finish.

Exactly!! People like us need to voice our opinions of the screens to even out all this nonsense! I HONESTLY do not see what anyone is complaining about!
Although I am coming from a junk-box dell to the new MacBook so it didnt take much to meet and exceed my expectations! :D

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Exactly!! People like us need to voice our opinions of the screens to even out all this nonsense! I HONESTLY do not see what anyone is complaining about!
Although I am coming from a junk-box dell to the new MacBook so it didnt take much to meet and exceed my expectations! :D

Haha yeah, I'm coming from a custom PC that I built back about 5 years ago(18 years old now). Kinda got sick of Windows since I grew up with it, so decided to make the jump, and haven't looked back since :D I haven't even touched my PC since I got my macbook.

And it's kinda funny, ever since I THOUGHT about switching, everyone around me started getting them lol. My cousin first, then my girlfriend, then my sister, then me, and then one of my best friends. It's awesome!

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Haha yeah, I'm coming from a custom PC that I built back about 5 years ago(18 years old now). Kinda got sick of Windows since I grew up with it, so decided to make the jump, and haven't looked back since :D I haven't even touched my PC since I got my macbook.

Ive had problems with Dell for a long time now. After loosing EVERYTHING that i owned (pictures, music, movies...) I had enough and decided to go for a Mac.
And yes i know a hard drive failure can happen on any machine but hey, it was an excuse for me to go all out on a new MacBook! :D
Since i got my Mac I wont even touch a Windows computer!

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
The stuck pixel is BACK!!!

What the heck!? It was gone, and it stayed like that all evening, and now I just realized the SAME pixel is stuck again in the same way.

Massaging it isn't helping right now...grrr!

Hope this isn't a persistent problem...otherwise im going right to the Apple store.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Not to derail the thread...

But since day 2, I noticed a stuck pixel on my Al Macbook, near the bottom of the screen, right at the bottom edge of the silver bottom bar of FireFox.

Today, I tried the massage method to remove it, and IT MOVED, like, it FELL downwards by 6-8 pixels or so. I guess it was a fleck of dust the whole time? Or I fixed it, and created another one lower down? :eek::eek:

Oh well, now its out of sight, as its in the dark area of my background, aside the dock, so nothing will ever be over it; out of sight, out of mind :cool:

Edit: I tried knocking it further down, now it moved up by like 10-12pixels more, fsck...back to work :mad:
Edit2: Its dust, I can see it sticking back off the glass from the top down. G'damnit, I don't wanna take it in for "repair" and lose it for a week *sigh*

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
You guys sure this isn't a dust particle? How can massaging an LCD fix a dead pixel?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Not to derail the thread...

But since day 2, I noticed a stuck pixel on my Al Macbook, near the bottom of the screen, right at the bottom edge of the silver bottom bar of FireFox.

Today, I tried the massage method to remove it, and IT MOVED, like, it FELL downwards by 6-8 pixels or so. I guess it was a fleck of dust the whole time? Or I fixed it, and created another one lower down? :eek::eek:

Oh well, now its out of sight, as its in the dark area of my background, aside the dock, so nothing will ever be over it; out of sight, out of mind :cool:

Edit: I tried knocking it further down, now it moved up by like 10-12pixels more, fsck...back to work :mad:
Edit2: Its dust, I can see it sticking back off the glass from the top down. G'damnit, I don't wanna take it in for "repair" and lose it for a week *sigh*

Try the electric toothbrush.. Somebody mentioned this a while back, and I don't see why it wouldn't work, especially since you see the dust particle stuck to the glass, and not the inner display.
Good luck...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.