Student Card Needed?!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by antster94, Sep 14, 2010.

1. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Hey guys,

I'm buying a new iMac and am a sixth form student and so am entitled to a small discount. However, I don't currently have a student card.

Do I need a student card in order to get the discount through the online store? It costs like £11 and I'ld rather not pay it unless I have to.

If I could hear from someone else in the UK who has experience of buying a Mac through the online store that would be greatly appreciated!

Anthony

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Awesome! Just wondering, if you don't need a card then how comes everyone doesn't just use the education store?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I was wondering the same. You can get some pretty nice discounts :)

Some people do what is morally right though :eek::eek:

5. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Haha yeah, I can't wait to get it though, gonna be awesome!

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You would hope there is still some of that in the world. Im sure if it was abused then Apple wouldn't make it so easy. I used to receive a greater discount if I was connected to my University's network.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

You're right, there's nothing stopping people.

However, I've herad -- I don't know how true this is -- that Apple may periodically audit the school IDs used to make purchases. I don't know what would happen if they caught you in a lie, however.

8. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

They do randomly check. People with no morals can save a lot more by just stealing a computer from one of their classmates. If you are going to sin, sin boldly.

10. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Dude I'm not sinning, I'm 16 and in full time education so definitely qualify for a discount.

11. mutantteenager macrumors 6502

Before you buy, check with your institution if they have a purchase programme. If they do you will be entitled to a bigger discount.

If they don't, they can approach Apple and ask to be signed up for an account. It might be worth asking friends if they are in the market for a mac too, and then ask your IT department, strength in numbers and all that.

Good luck.

12. sprtnbsblplya macrumors regular

You don't need the student card, even if buying in-store.
    I purchased some stuff at the Apple store in April or May and just showed them my official acceptance letter. Any official proof will work in-store.

I've purchased two laptops over the years off their student page and never been bothered for student info, wonder if they randomly audit? Who knows, I bet a lot of people do it.

13. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I've used the student discount several times from the online store. Only once was I asked to fax a current class schedule. They either audit randomly or after repeated purchases. The odds seem to be pretty low.

14. neil1980 macrumors 6502

I used the higher education link that was floating around (legitimately) though anyone could actually use the link.

Got 3 macbooks over 3 years and was never asked for proof.

15. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Right, I was just sent a link to a university store which contains a bigger discount but am skeptical about using it, is the extra £50 off worth the risk of having apple on the phone one day?

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Damn why didn't I think of that! :rolleyes:

So they might call? There shouldn't be an issue if you're a student.

17. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Well I am a sixth form (equivalent of highest year in college) student so am allowed to get it for £930, but with the university discount it's £870 or so, tbh I really don't want a spot check landing on me, I'ld be screwedddddd.

18. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

looking on the "other further education" site, the iMac is £938 (UK) which is a 6% saving.

Currently Currys are offering 6% discount on orders over £499, plus if you have Quidco you get 3% cash back (£28) - just an idea if anyone wants the discount, and to still go to heaven :p

EDIT: Discount code is SAVE6 by the way (and it's free delivery)

19. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

By the way, how did you access the Uni link? I get blocked by Apple stating I need to be on a University network :(

20. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

I was sent it by a guy on here, it's a University College London store link and so I don't wanna spread it around, pretty sure it's illegal to pretend I'm a university student when I'm not.