Student discount- Air vs. Pro retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mistermad, Aug 22, 2012.

1. mistermad macrumors newbie

So guys and gals, I have some reasoning behind this- stick it out.

So for 1600 US dollars, i can get a 1.8 i5, 8gb ram, and 256 gb hd. Macbook AIR

OR

fir 2000.00 USD I can get a macbook pro retina with 8gb ram, super high res display, 256 gb hd AND a dedicated GPU.

I will be using this mac for school...

at the given price difference of 400 US dollars... does it really make sense to get an air.. considering the larger discount on the retina pro?

2. bartonlynch macrumors regular

It depends on what you need. Do you need the graphics processing? Do you need (or want to carry) a 15 inch notebook?
    I know first hand how easy it is to just say you need it, because you want it. But Be honest with yourself!
    And keep in mind, you're not losing money if you don't take the bigger discount.

3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

May I ask what you planning to do with your new computer ? Cause if you only plan to surf the web and use i tunes the air should last you at least 6 years with those specs

4. stchman macrumors 6502a

It looks like you are getting zero discount on the MBA and $200 off of the rMBP. What store is this?

5. mistermad thread starter macrumors newbie

Directly from the APPLE store. I'm getting a 50 dollar discount on a 1600 mac and 200 dollar discount on a retina.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

OP what is your major? for what purpose will you be using your computer. Keep in mind retina is not a necessity to surf Facebook.

7. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

try looking at the refurbs in the student store for even cheaper prices

8. mistermad thread starter macrumors newbie

Purpose? im in law school. i write briefs. I look at power point documents. In the rare case I have time to play a game, i'd like to use it for that purpose. Maybe watch high definition netflix movies as well?

Pretty much everything

9. stchman macrumors 6502a

If you go to apple.com, the MBA with i5/8GB/256GB SSD is $1599. So you are NOT getting a $50 discount.

Now the base rMBP is $2200, so yes you're getting a $200 discount.

10. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Which games do you play? I don't think the macbook air can display 1080p.