Student Discount? All I did was pick the school. Doesn't ask for any proof?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SethRogen, Nov 3, 2011.

1. SethRogen macrumors 6502

I feel like this is weird. I picked the College, it gave me the discounted price. But it's not asking me for any type of proof?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's honor based. Sometimes they might ask for a .edu address. I know that in-store they ask for an school ID, acceptance letter or some other school related document that states that you are attending.

3. jdsingle macrumors regular

Yeah, that is all you do. I've heard reports that they can come back and ask for proof and if you lie they can charge your more (not sure whether that is a myth or anything). You should be fine though.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have had them contact me for proof before. Had to submit a form of proof of enrollment

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Did you do this because you really are a student at the school you selected, or are you just looking to get a discount that you're not entitled to?

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

7. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Do you have a job? Many employers have epp programs with Apple, that could get you the same pricing (or better).

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Did you actually buy a product, or did you just look at the discounted prices in the education store?

They might still contact you after you place the order, before they ship the unit. But maybe they just do it on a random basis, not per customer.

9. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

I gave my college email for all the information.

10. tbear1 macrumors regular

Yes. In store they ask for proof.

Glenn

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, that is probably sufficient for them. They are willing to give the discount to anyone who has some relation to an educational institution, i.e. all teachers and staff, and anyone who is buying "for a college student." Usually you don't get a college email address without being involved somehow.

12. s0nginmyheart macrumors newbie

I was thinking about getting a new ipod touch (been using a 1st gen) and wanted to use a student discount online. I found my university - but I do not see the discount reflected in my cart or at checking out (I've gotten to the check out page but haven't submitted). Am I doing something wrong, or is the discount applied later or something? Is it a 10% discount?

If done in person, do they only require the student ID?

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Nope, it's not a flat discount. E.g. For the macbooks (pro/air) the discount is $100 for laptop base prices between $1000 and $2000, and $200 discount for laptops that have a base price above $2000. Optional components then come with a 10% discount, e.g. if you add RAM it's slightly less overpriced at $180.

There might be no discount on ipods, since it's probably considered a cheap item ;)

14. dwag3 macrumors newbie

dwag3

Most of the "entertainment" items like iPods and Apple TV don't get discounted. The iPad doesn't either.

15. Sgt. Raven macrumors member

AppleCare for a MBP 17" is $239.00 EPP vs $349.00 retail.

16. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

A bunch of colleges give out .edu email addresses just for applying or thinking about applying to them.

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, I just ordered with my gmail account. No verification at all, but since I chose store pickup, they might ask for my faculty/staff ID in the store.

18. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

This only applies to the education discount. Apple has EPP programs with many employers, and all items are discounted, including iPods & iPads.