Student Discount at Best Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Aug 6, 2010.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Yeah, so before I called up the store itself I wanted to know if they actually honor the Apple student discount on the Macs. I'm somewhere in between a MBP 13" a MB or a Dell Inspiron i5. I start College in late september & I'm going crazy trying to decide what to do although I may not immediately need a laptop as soon as I start but they don't tell me anything. I'll probably find out at the orientation which is in early september. There are no Apple stores over here and buying online is not an option. There are only two stores: Best Buy & Modernica. Both stores are almost across from each other and are like 2-3 hours away from where I live. I don't want to end up losing a trip. Has anyone gotten the discount at Best Buy?

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Best Buy is a 3rd party dealer, so no, you won't get the student discount. Only at the Apple Store or Apple.com will you get the deal.

Pardon my asking, but why is ordering online not an option?

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Not sure which school you're going to, but a lot of schools have a campus computer store. Mine does and it is an authorized Apple re-seller. Might be worth checking out.

4. illidian macrumors 6502

Best Buy does not do Apple's student discount.

However, I know in years past, they have had a very similar offer if you asked for it. I do not know if that is the case this year, but I know there have been times where they would give you the iPod plus a $50 BestBuy gift certificate or somesuch.

5. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

My mother's credit card is not a visa, mastercard or american express.

I live in Puerto Rico, and here things are very different, the College I'm going to is the most prestigious here in PR but they don't have Apple computer stores, no school here does.

Thanks, I'll call and ask.

6. Helljumper macrumors member

It's up to each Best Buy. My Best Buy gave me the $100 student discount but didn't do the $200 rebate on an Ipod. I've heard of some Best Buys that have honored both deals.

7. maladroit macrumors member

My girlfriend had the same thing happen. They basically matched the exact offer she would have gotten at the Apple store.

8. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

I am typing this reply on my MBP that I purchased at Best Buy with the student discount. They told me that anything apple would do on their site is what they would do for me in store. This is coming from the Altamonte Springs store in FL :)

9. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I feel bad for you, must live in the middle of nowhere

10. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Awesome, I really don't care much about the iPod Touch because I already have one. I just care about the laptop discount.

Hmmm, nice. I'll call tomorrow and ask. They better do this for me too! or ELSE!...

11. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Who were you feeling bad for? I hope not me, I live in Central FL which is definitely not the middle of nowhere lol. If this was not intended for me, then disregard this post LOL :p

12. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Actually, I don't. I actually live in one of the three major cities in PR. But, there are no Apple stores in PR. Don't go stereotyping that easily.

13. csjo00 macrumors regular

I on the contrary, got both the free iPod touch (actual physical device) and the $100 discount. I'd go and ask around, cause a little hell. That's what I did. It also helps if you go there often and your brother works there.. Just sayin'.

14. cys920622 macrumors member

I got my MBP from best buy after they agreed to give me a "student discount" of $100

15. dainja macrumors member

Not true, they will price match the Apple student discount. I did that when I got my Macbook Pro.

In fact, you can even negotiate the price lower if you're buying software and stuff (I didn't, but that's what the sales rep told me).

16. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Wasn't the case at my Best Buy, so I had to go to the Apple Store. Guess it varies by which Best Buy..

17. Nick23 macrumors newbie

i got my macbook pro from bestbuy last sunday and they gave me the student discount and a instant rebate on the ipod touch, so i would def go and ask them.

18. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Seems like it depends on which store you go to but my experience is that you can get the exact discount that Apple education gives but without the iPod option.

Sounds like some stores will do the ipod option as well. Thats cool.

I'd call the store but you may get even more discount in person if you push for it and are willing to walk away.

Good luck!

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

This is a shame...

20. twitchgreen macrumors newbie

I have gotten the government discount on 3 different Macs so far at BestBuy. I just brought up the Apple Gov't pricing website in-store & they pricematched. The reason I go with BestBuy is that their laptop warranties cover accidents whereas AppleCare doesn't.

21. silentmike macrumors newbie

Best Buy will honor Student Discount, you just have to work your magic.

Here's my story of when I purchased my 2010 MBP 15 inch. (When they first came out, not when they offered the MBP + iTouch for school a few months later)

Here's what I did.

Did my research, found that Apple did in fact do the Student Discount on the new model. I think it was $200 off at the time. Price was $2,199 and with student discount it was $1,999.

Called my Local Best buy, asked a sales rep if they price matched, he put me on hold, asked his manager, came back and said no.

So, then I called another Best Buy, 30 minutes away from me, but this time I went about things differently.

When the sales rep answered, I immediately asked for a "supervisor or manager" the sales rep then asked me if he could help me. I kindly said sure. I then proceeded to tell him my entire story of what was going on, why I wanted to buy it at best buy and not apple, etc.

I said something like, "I want to purchase the MBP at your location because #1, I want to finance half of it with my Best Buy Credit Card (18 months no interest), #2 Because I WILL be purchasing your $350 3 year, insurance. #3, I am a loyal Best Buy Customer, (Silver Member in Best Buy Rewards) and I would like to add more "Points" to my Rewards card.

I then told him that I WILL be purchasing this TODAY from your location if you price match, and that the simple price match of $200 is determining if you will get a very big transaction. I think it was around $2,550 with Taxes.

If they said they would price match, I would get it from them, if they said they wouldn't I wouldn't get it from them.

The guy was very nice, told me he would tell everything I told him to his manager. He put me on hold for like 5 minutes. Came back and said his manager approved it, asked for my name, and put my Brand new MBP on hold until later that afternoon : )

So now I have my new MBP, and my 3 year, Accidental warranty that covers everything from Liquid damage, to damage from falls.

Just be persistent, keep things in your favor, don't act desperate. Say you will only get it from them if they price match. If your local store doesn't call another Best Buy and try again!

22. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Your brain must have been living in the middle of nowhere when you typed up this post.

23. talentedtenth macrumors newbie

Agreed!

24. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

I bought my MBP from Best Buy in August 2009. They told me they didn't honor/match the Apple student discount. Instead they gave me a gift card to match the amount that the student discount would have been.

In other words, they honored it in a roundabout way.

25. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

So I called three stores up.. turns out none of them is willing to offer me a discount. Whatever... I mean, this is Puerto Rico. Stores operate slightly differently.