Student Discount at Best Buy?

KidZgOtMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
Yeah, so before I called up the store itself I wanted to know if they actually honor the Apple student discount on the Macs. I'm somewhere in between a MBP 13" a MB or a Dell Inspiron i5. I start College in late september & I'm going crazy trying to decide what to do although I may not immediately need a laptop as soon as I start but they don't tell me anything. I'll probably find out at the orientation which is in early september. There are no Apple stores over here and buying online is not an option. There are only two stores: Best Buy & Modernica. Both stores are almost across from each other and are like 2-3 hours away from where I live. I don't want to end up losing a trip. Has anyone gotten the discount at Best Buy?

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Best Buy is a 3rd party dealer, so no, you won't get the student discount. Only at the Apple Store or Apple.com will you get the deal.

Pardon my asking, but why is ordering online not an option?

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Not sure which school you're going to, but a lot of schools have a campus computer store. Mine does and it is an authorized Apple re-seller. Might be worth checking out.

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Best Buy does not do Apple's student discount.

However, I know in years past, they have had a very similar offer if you asked for it. I do not know if that is the case this year, but I know there have been times where they would give you the iPod plus a $50 BestBuy gift certificate or somesuch.

KidZgOtMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
Best Buy is a 3rd party dealer, so no, you won't get the student discount. Only at the Apple Store or Apple.com will you get the deal.

My mother's credit card is not a visa, mastercard or american express.

Not sure which school you're going to, but a lot of schools have a campus computer store. Mine does and it is an authorized Apple re-seller. Might be worth checking out.
I live in Puerto Rico, and here things are very different, the College I'm going to is the most prestigious here in PR but they don't have Apple computer stores, no school here does.

Best Buy does not do Apple's student discount.

However, I know in years past, they have had a very similar offer if you asked for it. I do not know if that is the case this year, but I know there have been times where they would give you the iPod plus a $50 BestBuy gift certificate or somesuch.
Thanks, I'll call and ask.

Helljumper

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
It's up to each Best Buy. My Best Buy gave me the $100 student discount but didn't do the $200 rebate on an Ipod. I've heard of some Best Buys that have honored both deals.

maladroit

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2006
It's up to each Best Buy. My Best Buy gave me the $100 student discount but didn't do the $200 rebate on an Ipod. I've heard of some Best Buys that have honored both deals.
My girlfriend had the same thing happen. They basically matched the exact offer she would have gotten at the Apple store.

Krad3130

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Winter Park, FL
My girlfriend had the same thing happen. They basically matched the exact offer she would have gotten at the Apple store.
I am typing this reply on my MBP that I purchased at Best Buy with the student discount. They told me that anything apple would do on their site is what they would do for me in store. This is coming from the Altamonte Springs store in FL :)

KidZgOtMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
Awesome, I really don't care much about the iPod Touch because I already have one. I just care about the laptop discount.

I am typing this reply on my MBP that I purchased at Best Buy with the student discount. They told me that anything apple would do on their site is what they would do for me in store. This is coming from the Altamonte Springs store in FL :)
Hmmm, nice. I'll call tomorrow and ask. They better do this for me too! or ELSE!...

csjo00

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Arkansas
I on the contrary, got both the free iPod touch (actual physical device) and the $100 discount. I'd go and ask around, cause a little hell. That's what I did. It also helps if you go there often and your brother works there.. Just sayin'.

dainja

macrumors member
May 21, 2009

Not true, they will price match the Apple student discount. I did that when I got my Macbook Pro.

In fact, you can even negotiate the price lower if you're buying software and stuff (I didn't, but that's what the sales rep told me).

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Not true, they will price match the Apple student discount. I did that when I got my Macbook Pro.

In fact, you can even negotiate the price lower if you're buying software and stuff (I didn't, but that's what the sales rep told me).
Wasn't the case at my Best Buy, so I had to go to the Apple Store. Guess it varies by which Best Buy..

Nick23

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
i got my macbook pro from bestbuy last sunday and they gave me the student discount and a instant rebate on the ipod touch, so i would def go and ask them.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Seems like it depends on which store you go to but my experience is that you can get the exact discount that Apple education gives but without the iPod option.

Sounds like some stores will do the ipod option as well. Thats cool.

I'd call the store but you may get even more discount in person if you push for it and are willing to walk away.

Good luck!

twitchgreen

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
I have gotten the government discount on 3 different Macs so far at BestBuy. I just brought up the Apple Gov't pricing website in-store & they pricematched. The reason I go with BestBuy is that their laptop warranties cover accidents whereas AppleCare doesn't.

silentmike

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
Best Buy will honor Student Discount, you just have to work your magic.

Here's my story of when I purchased my 2010 MBP 15 inch. (When they first came out, not when they offered the MBP + iTouch for school a few months later)

Here's what I did.

Did my research, found that Apple did in fact do the Student Discount on the new model. I think it was $200 off at the time. Price was $2,199 and with student discount it was $1,999.

Called my Local Best buy, asked a sales rep if they price matched, he put me on hold, asked his manager, came back and said no.

So, then I called another Best Buy, 30 minutes away from me, but this time I went about things differently.

When the sales rep answered, I immediately asked for a "supervisor or manager" the sales rep then asked me if he could help me. I kindly said sure. I then proceeded to tell him my entire story of what was going on, why I wanted to buy it at best buy and not apple, etc.

I said something like, "I want to purchase the MBP at your location because #1, I want to finance half of it with my Best Buy Credit Card (18 months no interest), #2 Because I WILL be purchasing your $350 3 year, insurance. #3, I am a loyal Best Buy Customer, (Silver Member in Best Buy Rewards) and I would like to add more "Points" to my Rewards card.

I then told him that I WILL be purchasing this TODAY from your location if you price match, and that the simple price match of $200 is determining if you will get a very big transaction. I think it was around $2,550 with Taxes.

If they said they would price match, I would get it from them, if they said they wouldn't I wouldn't get it from them.

The guy was very nice, told me he would tell everything I told him to his manager. He put me on hold for like 5 minutes. Came back and said his manager approved it, asked for my name, and put my Brand new MBP on hold until later that afternoon : )

So now I have my new MBP, and my 3 year, Accidental warranty that covers everything from Liquid damage, to damage from falls.

Just be persistent, keep things in your favor, don't act desperate. Say you will only get it from them if they price match. If your local store doesn't call another Best Buy and try again!

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I bought my MBP from Best Buy in August 2009. They told me they didn't honor/match the Apple student discount. Instead they gave me a gift card to match the amount that the student discount would have been.

In other words, they honored it in a roundabout way.

KidZgOtMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
So I called three stores up.. turns out none of them is willing to offer me a discount. Whatever... I mean, this is Puerto Rico. Stores operate slightly differently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.