Student discount from apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ikermalli, Dec 7, 2008.

?

Which MacBook do you like better?

1. Old base white MacBook (2.1 GHz)

6.0%
  2. Old base black MacBook (2.4 GHz)

10.0%
  3. New base aluminium MacBook (2.0 GHz)

84.0%
  1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hello,

My friend that is in University is going to let me use her student card at the apple store to get the discount. I will have to bring her with me right? Also, they don't do anything special like add extra information saying that it belongs to her and if somehow I get searched and they find the MacBook registered to her I will be fined or anything right? Or will there be a problem if I get it from her student price card? Also, would they accept it if we said we wanted to use her student price card but register the product to me in their system?

2. shan21 macrumors regular

can anyone tell me if they do sell imac applecare for around £50 if you buy instore and show them your student card because on the online shop it sells for £112 with the student discount

can anyone confirm this???

3. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

E-mail or call them, I just don't want to ask them about mine because they might say it's illegal or something lol

4. munnstermac macrumors newbie

To the first question, just don't say anything to them. When you get home register it in your name, they aren't going to hunt you down over it although you will get a lot of backs up on here because it is basic fraud and its people like yourself that ruin it for everyone else because they will eventually stop doing it. But myself, I really don't care, you will be fine, enjoy it.

As for the second question its apple HE uplift for £50 so you have to pay to get it shipped back and forth I think, or you can just say you have no money nor means of transport and they will waiver the fee. You will also only get that price if you log on from your uni network, go instore or ring them.

Hope this all helps,

munnstermac

5. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

It won't be registered on their thing they scan it in that it is hers? Oh, it is fraud? What if I use my sisters card? She hasn't got it yet, I don't think...

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Yes, it is fraud. You plan to have someone else stand in for you to make a purchase for which you don't qualify. You're series of questions about the legitimacy of the purchase should tell you that what you're doing isn't 100% legal/moral. Be mindful of what the previous poster said about ruining the discount for those who qualify/need it.

As for Apple itself, they rarely confirm IDs, and they won't hunt you down if you make the purchase on another's student education discount deal. I don't know how the HE program works compared to that here in Canada or the US, but the basics are the same. Basically, you can go ahead and buy it with virtually no risk to yourself or your machine.

7. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

... It sounds like a bad idea now... In my mind if she bought it with the discount then sold it to me it would be the same if we buy it with her using her student discount... Because I hear of a lot of people buying it with the discount then their friends buy it off of them.

8. tagecho macrumors newbie

9. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, have you already done it? I didn't think it was fraud either, I still don't consider it fraud...

10. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Why don't you just buy your MacBook using those sales that are around?
    Use Macconnection or Amazon, they sell the MB for a better price then the regular edu discount (if you are in the US).

11. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm in Canada, and it's great, unless you try to order something then it's Canada FTL and USA FTW
    But normally its Canada and USA FTT

12. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

THIS IS URGENT:

Okay, so there are two models of the last gen MacBook 2.1 GHz left, one on display, one new for $999.99 (yeah I knw 1k), my dad wants to buy it in one month, I don't think it will still be there and the sites I have been looking at are running out of them or don't ship to Canada. Should we order now before they are gone? How long can stores like Futureshop and Bestbuy hold items for?

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I let my mom use my work discount and the Apple people knew I was doing this and they didn't care.

14. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

But she's direct family, not sure if it matters though...
    Anyone know how to stop MR from subscribing me to threads automatically?

15. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

You still have to tell what you want to use the MB for, then people can recommend which one will fit you more easy.

16. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I went there and showed them my student ID and drivers license to get the discount on the computer and applecare.

17. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

@ FieryFurnace
    Movie editing (not intense)
    Photo editing (")
    Music downloading
    Torrent handling
    Playing media (video, music, etc)
    Uploading videos to youtube
    Web surfing
    Word Processing
    Some music editing
    Taking photos with the webcam
    Downloading music
    Jailbreaking + unlocking
    Screen capture
    MSN
    Playing random online flash games once in a while

My norm is

Mozilla Firefox 5-7+ tabs normally
    Listening to music
    MS Word (or in the future, neo office)
    Downloading Family Guy or South Park through torrents
    Downloading full albums through torrents
    No seeding
    Sometimes having youtube videos playing
    Burning data cds+dvds or movies and music sometimes

Which MB will be good for me?

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I also did it for a friend also and they knew and she even paid for it with her credit card.

The 2nd question I figured out by accident lol

19. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would you like to share your solution please? I check my e-mail and all of a sudden it updates and BAM 80 emails in the inbox lol
    Oh, also what about this posted above:

THIS IS URGENT:

Okay, so there are two models of the last gen MacBook 2.1 GHz left, one on display, one new for $999.99 (yeah I knw 1k), my dad wants to buy it in one month, I don't think it will still be there and the sites I have been looking at are running out of them or don't ship to Canada. Should we order now before they are gone? How long can stores like Futureshop and Bestbuy hold items for?

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

under User CP go under options then scroll down to "Default Thread Subscription Mode" and then click on the drop down to "No email notification"

21. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there a way I can give you a +1 for rep or something? You're freaking awesome! Since you're on a roll could you answer the urgent thing?

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Do they offer a layaway? If they do go that route.

23. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll ask them, I will have to talk to my dad, thanks for the idea

24. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

25. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Ok that's all the ideas i have for the rest of the year, good thing it's almost over lol