student discount honored at best buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kymac, Oct 14, 2007.

1. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

hi everyone,
    i have a $1oo gift card to best buy, (i can't stand best buy, but whatev) and i was wondering when leopard comes out if i would be able to purchase it at the student discount price? i mean.. they do have 'apple stores' in them, wouldn't they have the same policies?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nope, those aren't "real" Apple stores. Apple stores will only allow a student discount.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd try to use the gift card for other Mac related hardware/software.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can also try selling it for say 90 cents on the dollar.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Sorry, but the edu discount is only honored at the brick and mortar stores. You could sell the best buy gift card (I might even want it) or use it for something else.

6. cujoca macrumors regular

i've done this before...best buy will price match any other lower price as long as you have proof that your a student. They'll take the difference and give you 10% of the difference off your total price. Then u can use that 100 dollar gift certificate

Remember...Best Buy wants your business!

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Really? If this is true, that is great news for me!

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm really surprised at this. Margins on Macs are awfully slim as it is, so it's really hard for them to make money if they buy the machine at the regular vendor price and then sell it to you at the EDU price. Apple can get away with it since they build the machines and thus have a larger profit margin that they're willing to eat into to make the sale.

Yes, Best Buy wants your business, but not if they lose money in the process.

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I highly doubt this is true.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It could be true because they will price match brick and mortar stores. So technically this should remain true since the price a student receives at an Apple retail store is through an actual outlet and not online. Though this is probably up to an individual managers discretion.

11. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

Okay it won't hurt to try.. but how do i show them what price apple is offering students? bring up the website? print something off?

12. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

They won't match it. They'd consider it "special discounts" or something.

13. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yeah...either or would work in your attempt.

14. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

While the official Apple edu discount won't be upheld by BestBuy (or other stores), that might be willing to drop their price for you if you tell them you have it, and it will be honored elsewhere.

I've done that at CompUSA...they couldn't honor the Apple discount, but they dropped the price and threw in some extra stuff for me. If the thing is $1500...they'd still rather sell it for $1400 than not at all.

(Plus, they don't take your Apple discount away from you, so you can still use that on something else, too :D)

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Last I heard, you couldn't get the educational discount on software at the stores, only online. They'll do it for hardware, and AppleCare, but not software. I doubt Best Buy would do it anyway, but it can't hurt to ask.

16. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

Did you just say that the apple edu. discount is only honored at Apple brick and mortar stores?

Anyway, if that's the case, you're wrong. Go to Apple's online educational store to use your student discount online. Obviously you need to select your school and what not, and in some cases your uni has a special Apple Edu Store, but in most cases it's kind of like the regular Apple store but with student-friendly prices :D

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

cujoca is dead-on-right.

I worked at Future Shop (sister company of best buy), and we would match prices always, and beat the price by 10% of the difference. All you will have to do is go on the computer and show the salesman, and prove that the software is "available".This is because sometimes people bring random flyers from these family owned computer stores so we call the stores up to see if they have in stock...because anyone can put any price on anything...it actually has to be readily available for the lowest price guarantee to work.

Often you would call one of these places and they wouldn't even answer or anything...so normally we wouldn't match tiny, personally-owned stores, but big places like apple of course.

Essentially, if the price difference is 50$, they will have to give it to you for the price apple is offering MINUS 10% of the difference (=5$, woohoo!).

If you go on the BB site you can read more about their "Lowest Price guarantee".

18. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

so it sounds like i might have a good chance to be able to do this.. but everyone keeps talking about computers.. but again.. i was asking about leopard. so maybe the rules dont apply to software? hmmm heres to hoping. thanks everyone!

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll have to look into this myself now.

What would be the best proof though? Would I need to go to a store that has an Apple Store nearby so they can confirm it?

It might be a good idea for Black Friday. :D

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It seems only one poster actually read the OP. ;)

That is Apple's stance-- even in B&M Apple stores, you are not allowed to purchase software with the educational discount. It must be purchased online.

Maybe, if you're lucky, the BB manager will let it slide-- but even Apple doesn't allow for it in-store.

21. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Haha, I read your question then I read the other posts so I completely forgot you asked about leopard lol...sorry. I edited my post.

They should do it for software, too. It's funny though because if you go to an apple retail store they dont do edu. discounts for software...that's only online (at least my local apple store doesn't).

The only problem you may potentially have is that BB won't get leopard anywhere close to launch...it'll take them a few weeks to get it most likely. so be prepared to wait...

22. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Such little truth to this ... :D

Kevin :apple:

23. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

YOu may be right, but in canada, where I live, it's true. We don't get apple stuff til way after.

24. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Instead of buying software like OS X from Apple's edu web store or trying to get a retail store like Best Buy to match, a good tip of advice is consider visiting or calling your school's IT dept. Some schools will sell certain products below Apple's edu pricing as they have different price agreements, I paid $59 USD for a new box of Tiger recently(I'm sure the price will be the same for Leopard) :cool:

As far as other replies of CompUSA caving, they're like Microcenter if you shop near the end of the month or quarterly reporting period. Some stores have sales quotas and will try several reasonable solutions to make a sale.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, reading is fundamental. :p