Student Discount Online Question/Apple Care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fleasciante, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Fleasciante macrumors newbie

First MBP purchase for me. I've been using a 2006 white macbook and it's done for. I saw someone post in the redesign thread a while ago that you can just select home school online and receive the discount. Apple doesn't really check up on that do they? Same thing if you were to bring that in store for something after buying it online, they wouldn't check up and you being a student/teacher?

Just trying to figure out if I can save myself $200 and go for the top one.

Also, Applecare. Yay or nay?

Thanks for your help

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Apple's website does not check up on any school. Just go to their university website and purchase. Everyone can save $200. If you buy in person, all they ask is for your student ID. Online, you can basically just choose the college you may have graduated from and that's it.

I've heard people say that they preform random audits, but I think they're full of crap. Never heard anyone get caught.

Definitely get AppleCare. I'm not sure, but it's probably the same AppleCare selling on amazon or ebay. Get it from there, it's cheaper.

3. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

They don't check up if you claim you go to school or a further education establishment, but they check up if you say you claim you're a student at university; they ask you to send them a picture of your student ID.

Yay for Applecare

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Never heard of them asking for me to send a picture of my ID. You just select the school on their website and you breeze right through.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

In their TOS they retain the right to audit each order. If you get picked and they find out you aren't eligible they hit your card for the difference between edu discount and retail.

6. joewillmott macrumors regular

Did you know that the standard student discount on the website actually gets better if you buy it from within your school/university? A basic example is the regular 13" MBP costs 999 here, or 939 if you go for a student discount, however if I sign in on campus the price drops to 859! This applies to all products over here, the retina MBP drops to slightly over 1,500 when I look on-campus =D

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Honestly, I've never heard of it happening. It's just one of those warning signs. You have any idea the millions of people that do this every year. I doubt they have the time to even check!

----------

I'm not buying that.

8. RSully macrumors member

Do you think if I call them later this week they'll refund me? I didn't even think of using the EDU store, I was too excited and didn't want the shipping time to go up. Even an Apple gift card is fine, I'll probably end up spending it there anyways.

9. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Here in the UK, you can't get the higher education discount unless you order from your campus, or you call them.

I called them, and after ordering, the guy casually asked me to email him a picture of my student card later on

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Yeah. I highly doubt they check with any regularity, but it's there nonetheless.

11. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I guess it's a different situation in UK.

----------

Give them a call now. They usually don't charge your account until it's about to be shipped. So call now!! They might just be able to edit your invoice.

12. Xcelerate macrumors regular

What?! Could you show me how? I may be cancelling my order if that is the case...

13. Fleasciante thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like I'll be just fine trying the student discount. Is the consensus that it doesn't matter whether I pick the college that I used to attend or if I put home school?

I know the worst case scenario is I get checked and have to pay the balance. Just don't want to have that happen if possible.

14. Riffraffer macrumors newbie

I'm only seeing a $100 student discount..atleast for the macbook pros

15. Fleasciante thread starter macrumors newbie

It's $200 for the retina display pros

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

The discount is based off of the regular price. The more expensive the regular price, the higher the discount.

A Retina MacBook Pro should show a $200 discount.

17. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Just ordered

So I ordered a MacBook Pro Retina with the student discount. I then called today to modify my order and on the phone with the Customer Service rep from Apple, she asked if I had faxed my student ID. I told her I had never had to do that before, and she replied, "That's strange. Everyone is supposed to receive an email to fax their student ID with the order number in order for the order to complete the purchase."

Now I've purchased through the student site, no problems and same process. I sent my student ID, but never received the request for the proof in any form besides the Customer Service lady's word...

18. gtshor3 macrumors newbie

Can you buy applecare after your initial purchase? Example, can I purchase applecare 11 months after buying a new MBP just before the 1 year warranty expires. Just wondering because there are two advantages: 1) you can shrugg off the cost till a later date 2) Instead of getting 3 years of a warranty, you get 4 years.

19. Fleasciante thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the student site? I see that you can go online through apple and select student and whatnot, but it all seemed the same to me.

20. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

You still only get 3 years. They know when you purchased your computer and it begins from that date, no matter when you purchased it in the 12 month period.

21. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yes, you have 1 year to purchase AppleCare. But no, you do not get 4 years. AppleCare extends coverage to 3 years only! So after a year, you'll have 2 years left.

22. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

It is the "education" selection on store.apple.com. - Your school name will appear at the top of the main Apple Store page once you've selected a school. The discounting will then be applied.

23. joewillmott macrumors regular

I don't know if it's the same in the US, but here in England I can access the regular student prices, but I have to be on-campus to access the university prices which are far cheaper.

I want a base 2.3 retina MBP with applecare and 16GB RAM. It's £2,238 normally, £1,724.40 on campus.

I am sat staring at the checkout screen, my heart is thudding. I have been saving this money for a LONG time.

24. fryrice macrumors member

a few years back when my gf purchased her 13in mbp she was asked for her school email address for verification.

25. Xcelerate macrumors regular

Do you mean you go to your school website and log in and it's available on there?