Student Discounts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rookiezzz, Oct 7, 2011.

1. rookiezzz macrumors regular

Well, I heard that you can waive the activation fee if you're a student, is that true? Anymore benefits as a student? Discount on the plans probably? Anyone mind to explain me more about this rumor?

Thanks..

Note:
    I'm an International Student and I got the SSN.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Some carriers will offer certain discounts for certain university students, but you'd most certainly have to call and ask. It varies by university and carrier.

There is no discount on the phone itself. The best you can do is a discount on the plan (and like I said, you'd need to call either the carrier, or more likely check with your university).

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Depends on the carrier and your status with the carrier (i.e. how long have you been with them, are you a prompt payer, etc)

4. rookiezzz thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I've just turned to 18 recently.. So, I have no experience with the carriers lol.. Pretty much, this is going to be my first contract, though I'm still thinking about buying the one without contract.. I also heard that they will check our SSN, and mine is just 2-3 months old, it might be expensive just for the deposit right?

Any of u guys r international student? mind to share some experience?

Thanks..

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I am international student. I had my SSN given to me 2 months prior to obtaining my first iPhone. Mind you this was back when the 1st Generation iPhone came out.

I had to put in a security deposit of $150 and no fees were waived. Other than that, the deposit was returned to me after a full year of prompt payment. I am still with AT&T and will stick to them for good measure.

The deposit will vary from person to person. A friend of mine, (same situation, international student) paid $250, while others paid up to $500 in deposit. Remember, this is because your SSN has no credit history.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My first iPhone in 2007 had the 25% discount on accessories at the AT&T store and a 20% discount on the Family Plan that I still have...:cool:

University of California, Berkeley

7. rookiezzz thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's nice, sounds like you got the lowest deposit requirement. Well, now i use my SSN when i open wells fargo bank account though, would that build up my credit history? about waiving the fee, i'm nt sure about years ago, but I just heard from my friend that her friend made a contract without any activation fee (waived)

Well, I don't think i'll be able to get any discount though.. I'm still in college..

8. powerbuddy macrumors 6502