Student discounts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by /dev/toaster, Sep 11, 2008.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I am going to admit I am not a student, however money is ultra tight and I really need a new power machine. So, I am looking at getting a mac pro. Needless to say, I am trying to save on anything I can.

How does the student discount work. If I "found" a friend who was a student, how would I go about the process of purchasing it through them. Does Apple records have them listed as the primary owner or something crazy like that ? What happens if I buy AppleCare for it next year ?

Amazon has the Mac Pro for $2,500 but I don't see a way to upgrade the video card. So far, this has been the best deal I have found.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Technically speaking, that would be violating Apple's educational discount policy.

Another way (legally) you can get a discount on an Apple machine would be to buy an Apple Developer Connection membership ($500), which gives you about a 20% discount on a Mac Pro. This however would only really benefit you if you were to customize the machine with options to outweigh the $500 spent on the membership. So that would technically mean that your configured machine would have cost around $3,500+ for it to even be beneficial.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My friends buy through me all the time.

The OP is tight on funds, so that wouldn't make sense

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If money is "ultra tight" why on earth are you blowing it on a Mac Pro?

Did you even look at iMac or a Windows machine?

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

That doesn't make it right, legally or ethically.

6. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Ultra tight as in I have a set budget for a new machine.

What is the process that you do ? Honestly, I don't know anyone who is in school right now, so more then likely it would be someone that I meet for this purpose. Is it once you are approved you just show your student ID ?

Do you pay cash or credit card ? Do you have to go through an approval process or do you just walk in, show the ID and walk out ?

7. Bizo macrumors newbie

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Just wanted to play devil's advocate for a sec

is it really "illegal" I mean it's not really a law, right? It's the same as using a ## year old college ID for the discount at the movies.

They just use the discount as a tactic to get a definite sale for those who may be on the fence about buying, right?

I'm not here to judge anyone but it might be ethically wrong but illegal, 'm not so sure.

I hear you just walk in and walk out. I've seen some topics on it before around here somewhere.

9. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Agreed. Although I am sure many here disagree with this, I apologize but I don't want to get into that debate here.

Been searching around, haven't had much luck. I did see a thread talking about having to fill out some forms and wait for approval, which would be annoying :D

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You're violating a civil contract. Part of the purchase process online is checking a box that says that you agree to be bound by a long list of terms, one of which says something along the lines of "yes, I qualify". When Apple audits ed store purchases and finds you in violation, they are within their rights to collect the difference in price between the ed store and "regular" store.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Better solution:

Get refurbished. Similar price as Education pricing.

store.apple.com
    look under "Special Deals"

However the refurb stuff comes and go, sometimes there are Mac Pros for around $2000 but didn't see it recently.

12. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

By the time they do an audit and realize they have lost out, the customer is looooong gone. Months or even years later. If they found they were losing $ they would just make their requirements for the discount that much tighter the next go around. How could they go about collecting the difference? Send a letter to your house? They don't have all of that info.

I mean I don't really condone this either but you can get away with it. But like the OP we shouldn't debate this here.

refurbs are a tad cheaper than the education discount

13. unlokia macrumors regular

Go with the student discount, if you have a friend or relative. All this moral high ground BS drives me insane - what on earth is wrong in doing this?. I tell ya what - why don't you pay the difference for us, if it is that important to ya!.

It's not "illegal" it just means that the Mac Pro comes at a **FAIR** price. I love Apple products and support, but if I can LEGALLY get one cheaper, then __OF COURSE__ I'm gonna do so :rolleyes:

So some fat cat @ Apple goes without an extra case of champagne this Christmas... I'll lose no sleep. Do they install GPS trackers to see who is using it?. Do they prevent anyone but the purchaser from sitting down and USING the machine?. What happens if the person who owns the machine gives it to X person as a gift?.

What I'm trying to say guys, is there is NOTHING wrong with this in my eyes - you all seem a little brainwashed to be fair; we are not all rolling in bank notes!. :D

I respect Apple MASSIVELY as a company, but telling us how to purchase our Macs, folks? give it a rest will ya - I'll do what I want thanks.

PS: what's with ONLY giving Pro products a ONE year warrantee as standard, and having to shell out more for the extended??. That SERIOUSLY does SUCK LOTS!!!

14. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Heard you can show up with a college ID, schedule, acceptance letter, or even homework. I'm assuming each store can be as strict as they want though. But I have never heard anything about forms to fill out.

15. portent macrumors 6502a

Misrepresenting yourself when entering into a business deal is illegal in most jurisdictions.

You can probably get away with it, yes, but many people have moral standards that go beyond "If I can cheat and they don't catch me, I've done nothing wrong."

16. jkconnections macrumors newbie

Lying is never right- no matter how tight money is. Why not get a similar discount ethically by purchasing from macmall.com? Their discounts are almost as good as the educational discount and you don't have to lie or cheat to get it.

And no, I am not affiliated with macmall in any way.

17. pcortez macrumors member

ECON 101: fat cat still gets his box of champagne bc costs get pushed to the consumer, or some child worker in china gets less money. refurbished is the way to go if you have any morals. we pay enough for great products.

they offer these courses in community college, that alongside ethics. you might need your GED first.

18. radionickhead macrumors regular

errr right..
    while we're talking about morality let's talk about apple marketing the "cool factor" i.e buy our products and you'll look "cooler"..It's definetly moral to breed a population of consumers that thrive on this aspect..and slap a price tag on it *sarcasm*
    I'm not categorising any of you or myself for that matter - I've been a PC user for years and the sole reason I'm saving to buy a mac is because with my experience , life expectancies of PC laptops are 2 years tops..So I'm taking a gamble with a mac.
    That being said..You aren't going to hell if you get a student to purchase it for you, I'm a student but im afraid I live in the UK so I can't help you..but I WOULD if I was in the US..
    The poor guy said he's tight, and he wants a mac - he's not stealing it..and it's not like apple won't profit from his purchase - so give him a break.
    And some people who say "I dont mind paying more for a mac because of their research and development scheme" or "I buy stuff from apple because they deserve it" when their ram/hd's e.t.c are all cheaper from third party distributers, all I have to say is *ROFLCOPTER*.
    Brainwashed drones. You think they aren't making enough money?
    I appreciate any company that satisfies it's customers, but when I see a bargain i'll choose that..It's not like if I opt to buy windows vista from microsoft they're going to send me a bouquet of flowers and thank me.

19. polar-blair macrumors regular

I got my iMac with a student discount, I think my mum ordered it over the phone, cant remember why we didn't do it online but when we asked for a student discount all my mum was asked is what year in high school I was in and what level exams I was taking. No ID number no certificate or letter confirming my place in school. It really was very easy.

20. pjgeer macrumors member

The Apple b&m stores here in my city don't even ask to see your Student ID if you say you are a student. They have stated "To ask for the actual card, would tell our customer that we don't trust them," yes we have asked their policy since we are an ed re-seller in the same city.

And the on-line Canadian ed store, no longer askes for your Student ID #.

So, I guess Apple really dosen't care as much as they use to.

Pj

21. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Can't you go to the Apple Store and just enter your university to access the educational store. That's what I did.

(I am an actual student btw)

22. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Hmmm, correct me if I am wrong but isn't the student discount like 20% ? The refurb of the model I want (pretty much base line of the newest) is $2400, where its new on amazon for $2500. New at apple.com is $2800, 20% would put it at $2240.

That's the 4 core model

23. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I guess it depends on what they have available in the refurb store. My black MacBook had a discount of 37%. Sometimes you just get lucky. If you're willing to wait it out then you might find a bargain.

24. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Ya, it wouldn't hurt to watch it for a few days and see what happens. Does anyone happen to know if Apple only updates that page once a week or is it fairly random ?