Student loans

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Aug 3, 2014.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Well, time has come guys. Parents finally cut me off. One more step to manhood. I know absolutely nothing about these things. Where do I start?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think some more information is needed. Do you have them, do you need them, etc.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I haven't had any before, and tuition is about 18k a year.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

https://fafsa.ed.gov

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I've submitted my fafsa. Are public loans usually better than private?

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

The game has changed significantly even since I graduated in 2011.

It's not just as simple as Federal/Public vs. Private, though. There's Federal Perkins Loans, Subsidized Stafford, and Unsubsidized Stafford for undergrad, each with their slightly treatment and regulations. On top of that, there's different programs for graduate programs. A more in-depth conversation on your exact situation is really reliant on your FAFSA results/university's financial aid offerings though.

Whatever you, be sure to only take out as little as necessary. No need to be saddled with more debt just because you didn't want to work part time during the school year. That'll hurt much more in the long run.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Do NOT get any private loans. Only public student loans can be deferred and their interest rates are usually much better.

If you have a private loan that you're paying back and you lose your job or need time off from payments, you no deferred payment options open to you.

Honestly, as someone with way too much student loan debt: try your hardest to limit how many loans you end up with. Try for as many grants and scholarships as you can and if you can handle work and school, I'd go that route.

Having a student loan(s) hanging over your head is NOT fun.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Buy some lube, bend over and grab your ankles. It will be over 20 years after you graduate.

15 years left on mine. They don't even have the common courtesy to give a reacharound.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I laughed harder than I should.

Now, unto the OP. Is your college/university in-state or are you out-state? Try a public college/university that is in-state; more likely to get same type of education at a much smaller price tag.

Many people go for the out-of-state experience which is a huge financial burden. Take into account, "out of state" fee, room and board and other costs associated with moving there. In-state is always a better option.

10. TomHardyy macrumors newbie

There are different conditions on student loans which varies country to country. UK have some other conditions as compare to UK. You should approach to government's educational institutions and they will help you out in this regard

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Have you explored options for cash flowing this? That is a boat load of student loan debt to take on.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You may want to switch to a community college for a couple of years. Tuition is much lower than at regular universities.

13. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm already going on my third year and am doing a program that isn't available instate or at a community college...

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would certainly stick out your school and program. I was in your shoes and the program was only offered out of state. You have a financial office in your college, I'd almost guarantee it, so you should go talk to them. Start researching scholarships. Even if it is just a grand, it is free money. Look into things like scholarships for males taking baking classes and such. Obviously that is not the case but the point is there are creative ways to get free money. I did not do that and with death being really the only option out of the loans...it looks mighty fine some days!