Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i only drink like half a can of soda with dinner..mostly its poland spring for me :p I also am in love with the minute maid coolers tropical punch...i'll think i'll reach over for one now, i like having a mini fridge right next to my desk ;)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
katie ta achoo said:
I'm probably an anomaly (omg.. a US teen using the word "anomaly" ?)... I've never done most of the "standard teenage stuff." IE getting drunk, high, gettin' it on..I'm the good one!

When I was in high school in the mid-to-late 60's, there was enormous peer pressure to smoke, drink and try drugs during those turbulent times. I resisted all such suggestions and am pleased to have done so. You may feel different from the crowd in several respects, but I strongly believe you are also doing the right thing. Good for you, Katie.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
hah oh yea, thats the Gorillaz song too. Must be a think about the UK and feeling good. im sure they're called Feel Good Inc.

I'm very particular to my mineral water. it HAS to be Volvic. I hate the Bicarbonate in most waters, and Evian! it tastes like chalk.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I normally drink water - about 2.5 to 3 litres a day.

When I go out it's beer or Baileys on the rocks, depending on how I'm feeling.

At restaurants or when I'm at home studying I like a nice glass of Pinot or Cab Sav, again, depending on what I feel like at the time.

I have lots of milk (skim) with my breakfast and usually a glass during the day to keep my calcium levels up at normal.

In all honesty I could probably remember about ten times I've had a soft drink, mostly when I was little and had a "sick tummy" that needed the fizz and sugar of the coke to take away the nausea. Mostly I just don't like them, except "Pepsi Blue," it tasted like cough syrup and was sickly sweet - lasted all of about 5 weeks on the market here before they pulled it. Thank god, I could have become addicted.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
crap forgot to say. I'm really into milkshakes now. with full fat milk. just uber creamy loveliness. I cant drink milk on its own any more, i keep thinking that it came from a cows udder and yea... i'm a bit daft like that!

Nesquik and full fat milk, whisked up. if its in the blender then a few ice cubes for thickness. they seem to be the rage among my mates too. pity Selfridges stopped selling what was the best milkshake ever :(

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I don't drink all that much soda. I go through maybe a 6-pack of 20oz cokes every 3-4 weeks. I've been trying to drink more fruit juice, tea and water than anything else.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
CanadaRAM said:
Apple Juce, Orange juice, sweetened ice tea, energy drinks, health drinks -- they all have by and large the same sugar content as soda, sometimes it just is different forms (fructose instead of glucose-fructose or sucrose, and pure crystallized cane juice in health drinks = granulated sugar) ... don't fool yourself that switching from sweetened soda to 'natural' juices will make you less fat - the caloric content is roughly the same. The beneficials in Apple Juice are negligable, Orange juice only a little better.

Good points. If its calorie content that people are worried about, then AJ and OJ won't do you that much good. But the beneficials come in other forms...

When was the last time a soda gave you a days helping of vitamin C? And other vitamins? So while all may make you fat, juice is still by far a better choice than the just-as-sweet soda...

But yeah, I do drink a lot of soda (2-3 per day @ School) :eek:
But I also drink lots of milk and juice at home

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I used to drink a lot of that rubbish, but a while ago I switched to the healthier versions (Diet Coke, Sprite Zero, Pepsi Max, etc). Last night I had a rather large Mountain Dew (which I used to drink a lot of) and it made me feel sick :eek:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
katie ta achoo said:
I'm probably an anomaly (omg.. a US teen using the word "anomaly" ?)... I've never done most of the "standard teenage stuff." IE getting drunk, high, gettin' it on..

I'm the good one! Gosh dernit!
Seems all the MR Peer pressure to turn you into a naughty girl seems to be failing. :eek:

---

Sort of strange when the are saying how bad soda is for the girth of the nation, when some of the sweetened tea, coffee, sports drinks, etc. have just as many calories -- if not more, but they supposed to be "better" for you. :rolleyes:

All they need is a super-caffeinenated can of Hi-C and it would be perfect replacement for soda at school. :D

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I used to drink ~6L of Mt Dew in a single day. I did for several years (all through high school, and for a while before that). The one day it clicked that I was consuming as many calories in soft drinks as I was in regular food.

At the time, I was highly active (hiking, camping, backpacking, skating, ROTC, etc), so I didn't think much about it. Once I got to college, though, it was like I had been chained to my desk.

Switched to diet drinks (partially to help my grandfather, with whom I was living, with he new heart-conscious diet) and dropped 30 lbs over about six weeks. I didn't change anything else, I just cut out all the friggin' sugar from 3L of Mt Dew per day.

These days, I'll drink a tall class (32 oz) of water when I wake up, a 20oz diet (either Diet Coke or Diet Mt Dew) before lunch, a cup of whatever w/ lunch (water, diet drink, sweet tea), and a 20oz after lunch.

Then I'll usually drink water until dinner (another 20oz if I need it), soft drink or tea w/ dinner (water doesn't have enough flavor :() and drink water until I go to bed.

I try not to drink any caffeine after dinner (I have chronic insomnia, and the caffeine hardly helps), but I have to have the caffeine during the day just to survive. I may try to wane myself over Christmas, but I can't afford that kind of crash during the semester.

After I graduate (next Christmas!), I plan to switch almost entirely to water (and tea or diet drinks for my meals). I'd love to break my caffeine addiction but, like I said, I can't afford to crash in the middle of a semester.

All said, I probably drink 60-100 oz of diet soda and 8-12L of water in a given day. Much better than it used to be, that's for sure. :)

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
blaskillet4 said:
Good points. If its calorie content that people are worried about, then AJ and OJ won't do you that much good. But the beneficials come in other forms...

When was the last time a soda gave you a days helping of vitamin C? And other vitamins? So while all may make you fat, juice is still by far a better choice than the just-as-sweet soda...

But yeah, I do drink a lot of soda (2-3 per day @ School) :eek:
But I also drink lots of milk and juice at home

Actually sugar tends to make it harder for the body to absorb the vitamins that you would normally get from AJ and OJ. I've read articles that say they're pretty much the same as drinking pop and that once a fruit has been refined into just juice, it's lost pretty much all nutritional value. However, I still maintain that it's a step above Coke (my downfall). This is predominantly due to the amount of phosphoric acid that soft drinks contain. Also, carbon dioxide can combine with water molecules making carbonic acid (anyone remember acid rain?). Although both acids are relatively week, the human body tries to maintain a ph balance in the blood and has nothing but calcium to combat the acids. Hence, your bones can become weak if you drink too much pop.

Have you ever seen what coke does to a dixie cup if left overnight? That alone should be enough to convince you not to drink the stuff. (why does it have to be so sweet and tasty?):(

jlmodell

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2005
I have been away from home at university for 3 years, and over the years i'm noticing my habits changing.

year 1... obscene amount of regular coke/pepsi, and beer (whatever was around)

year 2... even more soda!

year 3... i've decided to switch over to water and soy milk, not to mention cutting down on the alcohol; much of my decision has to do with joining the real world in another year, and i want to be healthy enough to compete at my best lol, and the rest being, water is so damn cheap.. 35 bottles of poland spring .5L only $5.99! haha (24 cans of soda = $9.99).

i am not sure if i was influenced by anything else to make the switch over, but thats amazing to look at those numbers.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I see no sense in buying bottled water.

I have a nalgene, and I have a faucet. I fill my nalgene at night with water, leave it out (in the fridge if I want it cold) for a while, overnight or for a day or two, and the chlorine evaporates off of it, leaving it better than most bottled water I've tasted, and far better than anything passed through those crappy carbon filters.

Sugar is killing the nation, really, and it's because people consume so much sugar, and then don't do anything at all. Their bodies produce insulin to counteract the sugar, but, over time the receptors that detect blood glucose levels can become totally overloaded by constantly being bombarded by tons of sugar, and shut down. That's Type II diabetes.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
OutThere said:
I see no sense in buying bottled water.

I have a nalgene, and I have a faucet. I fill my nalgene at night with water, leave it out (in the fridge if I want it cold) for a while, overnight or for a day or two, and the chlorine evaporates off of it, leaving it better than most bottled water I've tasted, and far better than anything passed through those crappy carbon filters.
Well I'm not going to fill 12 Nalgene bottles before I go to bed, cap 'em in the morning, and carry them all day.

Sure, I could, but I'm not going to. I'll buy a case of bottled water and keep it under my desk at work before I ever bother with that.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Nermal said:
I used to drink a lot of that rubbish, but a while ago I switched to the healthier versions (Diet Coke, Sprite Zero, Pepsi Max, etc). Last night I had a rather large Mountain Dew (which I used to drink a lot of) and it made me feel sick :eek:

Healthier really should be in quotations; I'll take the calories and tooth-rotting goodness of regular pop over the weird terribleness of artificial sweeteners any day, a choice actually recommended to me by my doctor (although he did preach the dangers of all pop, not just diet). I get nasty headaches from aspartame, but I'm not sure if the Splenda-sweetened versions of Diet Coke and Pepsi have any side effects other than terrible taste.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Not like Coke or Pepsi will care if they kill soda at schools, they will just sell one of their alternate brands that "meets" the requirements anyway.

Instead of a Coke, grab a bottle of Hi-C, PowerADE, Tea, or Minute Maid.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Seems all the MR Peer pressure to turn you into a naughty girl seems to be failing. :eek:
I win!! No pressure from peers for me!!

-------
and there's some thing about calories.. if you cut out all the full-calorie soda you drink every year, that's a bunch of calories you won't consume, and you'll lose (read: NOT GAIN) the 10 pounds or so that come with them.

I forget the exact numbers because my friend was telling me this while a crazy woman was closing a box and shooing us away from the box that was full of stolen louis-vuitton purses.

It was SOME crazy number like 10, though.

I hope the next drink to get skewered in the public light ISN'T soymilk! I can't live without that stuff! Soy!!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
ChrisBrightwell said:
Well I'm not going to fill 12 Nalgene bottles before I go to bed, cap 'em in the morning, and carry them all day.

Sure, I could, but I'm not going to. I'll buy a case of bottled water and keep it under my desk at work before I ever bother with that.

3 gallons of water each day is seriously impressive. :p

sccrdiva303

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
monroe, connecticut
i think if people want to drink these things, schools shouldnt b able to stop them. Lifes not always going to b restricted like this and thats how we get 500- pound people like i drink water EVERY meal bc i dont wanna drink soda and h8 milk but i do enjoy an accasional soda but cant get 1 every except on holidays so one at school a month wont hurt 2 bad. Only this year (1st yr in the school) did they stop. I think its so stupid or at least not let them around classes to cut back but not completely ban them all together

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.