Students: What type of bag do you use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wahoo10, Mar 11, 2009.

1. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I'm awaiting a MBP in the next couple of weeks, and right now all I use is a Jansport regular ole backpack and a sleeve. I feel like it's time to get a laptop backpack, especially since it's a 15". Anyone have any suggestions? I usually only have a notebook, but I'd like room for a small textbook in addition to the notebook (paper and electronic ;)) and obviously pens/pencils. Most backpacks just seem too big and my back can't handle more than one textbook and a laptop, so there's no reason to have a huge pack made for 2-3 textbooks on top of the computer.

2. NickM macrumors 6502

I recently bought a Wenger Swiss Gear backpack for my new MBP.
    It's awesome for school. Lots of storage compartments and stuff, like you'd expect from a Swiss Gear product. Good quality too.
    I originally bought a Targus backpack, because it was much cheaper... but it was a piece of crap, so I brought it back the next day and exchanged it for the Wenger.

I bought it from Best Buy, but here it is on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/SYNERGY-SwissGear-Wenger-Computer-Backpack/dp/B0007CIX1O

The spot where they have the laptop (in the product pictures) is really like a secondary spot for another computer/folders/whatever.
    The main, most padded, computer storage spot is in the back... but you really could easily fit 2 laptops and a couple books/notebooks/whatever in this thing.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Don't really have a specific bag for my computer, I just use a regular messenger bag from Banana Republic that has 2 compartments, one for the 'Pro and the other for a notepad.

4. val4321 macrumors newbie

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I still use the backpack/sleeve combination. Doesn't advertise that you're toting around an expensive piece of hardware, it's comfortable on the shoulders, and will last you a long time. But it sounds like you might want to buy a bigger pack.

6. wahoo10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm definitely looking for a backpack. I just don't think a 15" plus sleeve would fit into my standard backpack. I don't mind the sleeve + backpack combo now, it's very handy and sometimes I find laptop backpacks looking nerdy. But I definitely don't want something huge, but just enough room for a laptop/notebook/possibly a medium-sized textbook. Plus the extra protection of the backpack might be worth it for the $2K i'm about to drop.

7. RKpro macrumors 6502

I use pretty much the same thing NickM posted, but mine is all black, and I've had it for 2 years now. Still looks new, very good quality bag. There is a padded 15inch laptop section in the back, and I also use an Incase sleeve as well for extra padding.

8. machomer macrumors regular

I've used a North Face backpack that has a specially padded compartment for the laptop. It has plenty of other compartments to stow away your battery brick, mouse, and other items. Very comfortable on the shoulders too, and I've loaded it with plenty of books.

9. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

JanSport backpack with an Incase sleeve works well for me. Drop the bag and MacBook comes out unscathed.

10. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I want one of these please :D

I just a crumpler death star (i think thats what its called) for my 15 MBP. Its amazing!!! Worth every penny as i paid £1,900 for the MBP :) so £100 isnt to bad...

11. wahoo10 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacHomer: do you know what style yours is? About how much "stuff" can you fit? I really like Northface stuff (have a fleece I swear by, and a rain jacket/outer shell that I swear by even more) and the build quality is awesome. I want a versatile backpack since I won't always be carrying my laptop (less often than more), and I normally only carry a notebook and a book, but I'll need to be able to carry all at once as well. The NF I feel will give me an outdoors-y daypack as well, I'll just need to clean it out prior to use with the lappy I guess :p

12. isaki87 macrumors regular

I have many bags that I use for different occasions, but my daily backpack is the North Face Recon....

This exact one.

13. wahoo10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was just looking at the Recon! I think I'm going to get that one. Light, lots of compartments, versatile, perfect intermediate size (~1800CU, which is bigger than my 1600 currently), and priced well. Even post-college, this will be a great backpack, unlike most laptop-designed packs which end up being useful for only your lappy. <3 NF

14. jnev macrumors newbie

I have a jansport backpack that has in integrated laptop compartment in it. doesn't offer that much protection, but it's a bag for carrying it around, not a bomb-proof shelter.

15. isaki87 macrumors regular

I've dropped a lot of money on booq bags, and they are high quality, but they are way too big for me, and they aren't as versatile as the Recon. With the Recon, I use it for school, and long distance road biking trips(as it can house my water pack). It's a great buy. I dont have a scale to weight it, but it is light.

16. jagr200 macrumors member

I also have the NF Recon. Great bag. Although I dont use it for my laptop lol. I use a Targus bag for my laptop because when I travel I usually pack my closes in the Recon and one other bag. Im a guy. I dont need much lol.

17. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Look into Crumpler. Their backpacks and messenger bags are of great quality and style combined. I don't have any specifics name for you, as the messenger bag I have from them was a limited edition one, but many of them I see look great. Their sleeves are even better :p

18. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

i use the black apple sac, but i am selling it because i bought an incase hardshell

**BLACK APPLE SAC, BARLEY USED, FORSALE $20 + SHIPPING**

let me know anyone

19. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

MBP 15" + Booq M2 Vyper in either a Timbuk2 DeeDog (discontinued) or a Chrome Metropolis. I've been a bike commuter since college and I prefer to commute by bike in grad school because the bus shuttles are too slow and I hate driving. Using a messenger bag has been the norm for me for over a decade now and I have no complaints. I've had my messenger bags for just as long and they are built like brick sh*thouses. Rain or shine, my gear inside the bags have never gotten wet and I can ride knowing my stuff will be safe from the elements when I get to my destination.

20. withe011 macrumors regular

I just bought a Tenba Messenger Large for my 15in UMBP. So far, I love it. It's designed to carry a laptop and cameras, but the camera compartment slides right out if you don't want to use it. It has great padding for the laptop, tons of pockets, and it has a very nicely padded and contoured shoulder strap. Right now, I have to wear a suit to work everyday, but I'm going back to school for a masters in the fall and won't need to. This meets my needs of: dressy enough for a suit, casual enough for school. It also comes in many different colors. I will say, I put my laptop in an incase sleeve before I put it in the Tenba bag. I'm a little overly cautious since the Tenba bag is not fleece-lined like the incase sleeve. I hope this helps. [​IMG]

21. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

little jansport backpack and a sleve here... discrete, small, holds my power adaptor, a change of clothes if I need it..:D

22. bigvb@hotmail.c macrumors member

i will be buying a 17'' in a few months ands will certainly be buying an Axio Hardsleeve to go with it:

http://axio-usa.com/hardsleeve17.html

Works just like the neoprene sleeves except this one is rigid so you can shove it in your bag with all your books and not worry about it getting squashed/mis-shapen. Its also super thin, so not much thicker than a standard neoprene sleeve. They are mate to custom fit the laptop - unfortunately they dont have them yet for the new unibody range, but theyre making them now and hopefully in a few months they will be here. vb

23. rukus macrumors member

i have an incase sleeve and then an obusforme backpack

i have a UMbP 15.4

24. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i had a wegner bag and found it a bit heavy and bulky. i ended up buying a timbuk2 underground daypack from ebags when they had them on sale. it fits what i need, has room for a book or two, without all the extra heft. my only complaint would be maybe an extra cubby or pouch or whatever on the inside, but even that isn't major (i just toss my power adapter and mouse in a little bag and put it in the backpack).

edit: i'm not a traditional student, altho i attend courses at the local community college from time to time. eventually i'll get that degree done!