Studio and Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Jan 21, 2016.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I think I'm perilously close to my goal of acquiring all the variants of PPC era Cinema and Studio displays. For my purposes, I'm cutting the end off at the Acrylic displays, although I have 20" and 23" aluminum displays(a pair of 23"s are in daily use on Mac Pro in my office).

Here's what I have:

CRT:
    17" Blueberry
    17" Graphite
    21" Graphite
    17" ADC

LCD Studio:
    15" Blueberry
    15" Acrylic ADC
    17" Acrylic ADC

LCD Cinema:
    20" ADC
    22" ADC
    23" ADC

Here's my list of what I'm lacking:
    15" pre-blueberry LCD
    15" Graphite LCD(not sure if this one exists)
    21" Blueberry
    22" DVI

Realistically, for space reasons I'm inclined to skip the 21" Blueberry, although if one came along I might be tempted. I know the 22" DVI is REALLY difficult to find(the ADC version isn't exactly easy as I think they ran between $2K and $4K when new). I'd appreciate if anyone else can think of a model I'm missing.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It does, I have one. It uses DVI instead of VGA, USB instead of ADB, and lacks the extra inputs found on the earlier revision.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks-that's another to look for.

The DVI out would make sense as the standard Rage 128 in the Sawtooth has DVI and VGA, although admittedly I don't currently have a Sawtooth with a Rage 128 :) . In fact, I think the only Rage 128s I have "in circulation" are some kicking around in seldom used OWR computers and in one or two of my B&Ws. The computers I actually use-both OWR and NWR-have Radeon 7000s or Radeon 9200s. That reminds me that I need to swap the 7000 for 9200 in my Beige G4 at work.

4. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

There exists a 21" crt ? The 17" itself is so bulky, wonder how the 21" compares in size.

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The 21" is huge. It weighs in the neighborhood of 80lbs(77 I think) and is awkwardly shaped enough that it's difficult to carry.

When I first started looking for one, I pretty quickly ruled out shipping and waited for one to pop up locally. Finally, one did at a local graphic design company(I ended up buying a bunch of other stuff on that trip, including a Yikes!, DA, dual 1.25 MDD, and a 17" ADC LCD display) and I was able to go out and pick it up. The guy I bought it from helped me get it in my car, but I was on my own to get it out and get it upstairs to the "computer room." I need to take a photo of it next to the 17".

I've handled my fair share of 21" CRTs, but this is by far and away the heaviest I've ever dealt with. I suspect part of the issue is that many of the big CRTs on the market were actually inexpensive shadow mask tubes(or at least the Viewsonics and the like we had around work) whereas the Apple is a flat aperture grill Trinitron.

I actually had sort of a good laugh when I bought my G3 AIO-the guy who sold it to me kept warning me about how big and heavy it was. The computer does weigh 60 lbs or so, but it's a LOT easier to handle than the 21" CRT.

In any case, the 21" really is-in a lot of ways-the pinnacle of CRT technology. There are two physical buttons on the front of it-a power button and then a second button that brings up the display control panel in the OS(there is USB cord that has to be plugged in for this to work). All of the adjustments-including geometry and beam convergence-are done through software. The monitor has built in lifetime color calibration-just hit calibrate and it goes. The degauss button is accessed through the display control panel, although the degaussing coil is quite strong and it takes about 10 minutes to "charge"-degaussing the monitor will also degauss any adjacent CRTs.

With all of that said, I think I actually like the 17" ADC monitor better. It has all the same software goodies as the 21" and can push the same resolution(1600x1200) although at a slightly higher refresh rate at least with an appropriate video card, so is, IMO, more comfortable to view at the highest resolution. It's also a true flat Diamontron tube-the Trinitron in the 21" is only flat in the horizontal plane. There's also the fact that it weighs 20lbs less, is a manageable size, and has the beautiful crystal clear acrylic housing around the tube.

6. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Ok....u owe us a picture of the 21" !

7. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Here are a few quickies-one in the back seat of my car and the other set up next to a G4 tower.

I still need to get it and the 17" side by side for a photo.

IMG_1679.jpg IMG_1680.jpg

8. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

u did post ! looks as if, it is the 17"....until it is compared to the G4 beside it! It is HUGE, the G4 looks like a miniature standing beside it. This gives rough idea how much bigger it is than the 17".

Nice, and i learnt that there is a 21".

9. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

That 21" crt certainly is a monster. How scarce are they? Pricey when they do eventually turn up?

10. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I don't they they were terribly uncommon when new, but in my experience they are scarce now. I suspect a lot have been junked over the years due to their size and the waning popularity of CRTs.

When I first made it know that I was looking for one, I was actually offered a couple for free if I would come and get them. All were too far away.

I ended up negotiating a price of $50 for the one I bought, but when you consider what all else I bought with it the real cost was quite a bit less.

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Somewhat scarce, but usually not pricy if you do find one. I found mine (the graphite version) at a thrift store for $15.

12. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Pretty sure that the 21" CRT Studio Display is the heaviest Apple product ever made isn't it - until they release the much-rumoured car that is... Apparently it is heavier than the Apple Network Server, which is the largest Apple device that I can think of.

13. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I can't think of anything heavier offhand. Most of their other "heavy" stuff has topped out in the 50lb range.

14. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Here are the 17" and 21" displays next to each other.

IMG_2257.JPG IMG_2258.JPG

I'm also throwing in a gratuitous photo with the Blueberry 15" LCD.

IMG_2260.JPG

15. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I have 2 of the 22" DVI Cinema displays and the original dark blue 15" LCD studio in my collection. I find it a little ironic that the oldest of the Cinema Displays ended up being more future proof than the later ADC models! I use them all the time. Picture is still pretty good, but they're pretty dim by modern standards (and years of use). I don't have a 22" ADC though!

16. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

I just got, a one month's interval, a 20" ADC Cinema Display and a 17" ADC LCD Studio Display. Both working well with my Macbook Air and A1006. Think I'm going to start a little collection.... Loving this thread!

17. okawa macrumors newbie

I just want to see someone run a 30" Cinema HD display from a 2005 PowerBook G4. No adapters needed.

18. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Easy enough to do...I just need to order a new PSU(I use generic PSUs with the aluminum displays, but inadvertently fried my one with enough juice to run the 30s).

The late '05 15 and 17"(DLSD) have dual link DVI and more than enough GPU horsepower to plug a 30" right in. The 17" and higher end 15" early '05 configs can also run a 30".

19. Xandros macrumors regular

Does your 23" ADC work as expected (ie doesn't shut off after prolonged use)? I bought two of these bastards off eBay a couple of years ago to use with MDD and they've both got weird problems. I do wonder if I just got unlucky and bought a couple of duds or if there's something about these things that makes them fail.

20. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have two of the 23s connected to my dual 2.7 G5, and it stays on 24/7. Granted it sleeps a lot, but I've also used it for hours at a time and have also had it not sleep overnight. In both cases, both displays work fine.

One is driven off the G5 ADC port and the other off an A1006. Before the G5, I ran one of these displays on a Quicksilver using the ADC port.

21. Xandros macrumors regular

Must just have been unlucky then with mine. I keep meaning to try and fix them but, eh, can't be arsed is the term I shall I use. Lol.

22. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Could you maybe create a gallery with pictures of them? As I have neither space nor money to afford these beauties i would at least love to have a chance to see them on a photograph ;) I really envy you...

23. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'll try-that's the only promise I can make.

24. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

No promises needed ;) but I'd really appreciate it

25. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Maybe one of these days when I have a nice evening(and am not either working on my car or churning out prints in the darkroom) I'll get the camera and tripod set up on the front porch and photograph them in the nice evening light.