Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Well this is just dandy. I use two systems with my new Studio Display - a M1 Mac mini, and a 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro. I started testing the Studio Display with the mini and in the few hours I tested it, I didn't see any issues.

Come the next day, I swapped the included TB cable from my Mini to the MBP. About 20 minutes into using it I noticed that I'm getting a sporadic screen flash/glitch issue where the entire screen flashes off and then on again, and noise in the right-hand side of the screen.

(Tried the stock TB cable direct from my MBP and Mini to the display, and then another TB4 cable I have here. Still glitchin'.)

Huh. While I was typing this message, it started flashing continuously on both systems. Guess I got a dud? Time to call Apple Support...

slicktor

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
So I got mine setup yesterday and it worked perfectly fine. Today I noticed it started glitching out where it would turn on and off like it's disconnecting... It's not flickering like yours where you're getting glitching artifacts. But it's definitely a problem.

Have you tried updating your display and MBP software to the latest versions? I just updated mine and it was good for like a few hours and now it just randomly happens. But it's less sporadic.

Still very annoying for an expensive display it shouldn't have these problems.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
It's weird, mine will disconnect on certain youtube videos, specifically all of the latest Linus Tech Tips videos just cause the display to instantly turn black..

I can run 8k videos just fine however.

slicktor

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Update! I just tested the Studio Display using my old thunderbolt cable from the LG UltraFine and it works for now. No cut outs or glitches.

I think I got bad thunderbolt cable with my Display.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Got a question for you all: are your machines M1 or Intel? I just tried using my display with a 2017 Intel MBP and the flashing and glitching is gone. As soon as as I switched the cable back to the Mini the issue returns, though. Very curious if this is an Apple silicon issue.

I have an appointment with Apple on Wednesday to get it looked at and will report back.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
That sounds like some kind of cosmic joke.
After leaving the display unplugged for a bit and plugging it back in and switching out my thunderbolt cable I can watch Linus tech tips again!

Since the display is running iOS 15.4,i think the display itself is a little finicky, but I tested my display with an Intel mbp and an Intel windows Asus duo, so I'm not sure about the m1 based macs

slicktor

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Got a question for you all: are your machines M1 or Intel? I just tried using my display with a 2017 Intel MBP and the flashing and glitching is gone. As soon as as I switched the cable back to the Mini the issue returns, though. Very curious if this is an Apple silicon issue.

I have an appointment with Apple on Wednesday to get it looked at and will report back.
Mine is the M1 Max MBP.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Do you have variable refresh rate selected in Display Setting?

If so, try to turn it off.
I felt a little hopeful when you suggested that (as it makes sense) but it's not an option when you select the display in System Preferences, and it doesn't appear at all on my Mac mini.

That said, the issue is definitely a lot worse on my MacBook Pro than the Mini.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I felt a little hopeful when you suggested that (as it makes sense) but it's not an option when you select the display in System Preferences, and it doesn't appear at all on my Mac mini.

That said, the issue is definitely a lot worse on my MacBook Pro than the Mini.

Variable refresh rate is a known bug. It would look like this:

adaptive-sync.jpeg

Romanesco

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2015
New York City
Well this is just dandy. I use two systems with my new Studio Display - a M1 Mac mini, and a 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro. I started testing the Studio Display with the mini and in the few hours I tested it, I didn't see any issues.

Come the next day, I swapped the included TB cable from my Mini to the MBP. About 20 minutes into using it I noticed that I'm getting a sporadic screen flash/glitch issue where the entire screen flashes off and then on again, and noise in the right-hand side of the screen.

(Tried the stock TB cable direct from my MBP and Mini to the display, and then another TB4 cable I have here. Still glitchin'.)

Huh. While I was typing this message, it started flashing continuously on both systems. Guess I got a dud? Time to call Apple Support...

I ordered two Apple Studio Displays. One of them is flickering exactly like yours and getting worse. The firmware update did not fix the issue, so I requested a return. I can't believe how crappy Apple's products have become.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
I ordered two Apple Studio Displays. One of them is flickering exactly like yours and getting worse. The firmware update did not fix the issue, so I requested a return. I can't believe how crappy Apple's products have become.
I'm thinking of doing the same. I assume if I bring it in the store they'll need to replace it anyway. It sucks because as many people pointed out it's the only game in town if you want a 5K option that isn't the LG. I have a Dell 2723QE coming (a warranty replacement for a 2720Q that seems to be perpetually out of stock), so it'll be interesting to compare the two.

Reactions: Romanesco

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Does it still flicker without being plugged into a computer?

My old LG monitor flickered and had display glitches that made me think my panel broke, but it turned out to be the cable.

Romanesco

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2015
New York City
I'm thinking of doing the same. I assume if I bring it in the store they'll need to replace it anyway. It sucks because as many people pointed out it's the only game in town if you want a 5K option that isn't the LG. I have a Dell 2723QE coming (a warranty replacement for a 2720Q that seems to be perpetually out of stock), so it'll be interesting to compare the two.

I moved on from two latest generation LG 5Ks. There are no visible differences but the shell. Call it Apple bragging rights and add the flickers.

Agree with you that a return is in order. Everyone reading this should be reminded that Apple products are no longer what they used to be known for. It’s mostly overpriced crap for profit.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Early failures in a product lifecycle are completely normal. When they have some returned items to analyse they will either QA the issue out or fix it.

Crapping all over the product isn't productive. if you want utmost stability, wait 9 months then buy it when they've ironed all the manufacturing bugs out.

Also we had a bad batch of Dell Ultrasharps a few years back. Whole lot had similar issues.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
We'll see what Apple says when I bring the display in on Wednesday. One interesting thought I had today - I was going to try to roll back to the firmware version 15.3 the display shipped with and realized there isn't a clear way (yet) to restore the firmware on these displays. I'm sure there's a way to do this (or at least to reinstall the firmware) but it's not showing up in any of the obvious places (in recovery, for example).

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
I moved on from two latest generation LG 5Ks. There are no visible differences but the shell. Call it Apple bragging rights and add the flickers.

Agree with you that a return is in order. Everyone reading this should be reminded that Apple products are no longer what they used to be known for. It’s mostly overpriced crap for profit.

Sorry but disagree. I purchased this monitor on launch day, versus never buying the LGs. Sorry but don't appreciate a sea of plastic on my desk.

Tim

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
We'll see what Apple says when I bring the display in on Wednesday. One interesting thought I had today - I was going to try to roll back to the firmware version 15.3 the display shipped with and realized there isn't a clear way (yet) to restore the firmware on these displays. I'm sure there's a way to do this (or at least to reinstall the firmware) but it's not showing up in any of the obvious places (in recovery, for example).

Apple pretty much never allows for firmware downgrades.

slicktor

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I went into the apple store today and brought my thunderbolt cable. They said they don’t have any parts in and don’t know when they would. So even if you wanted to return the entire display. You won’t get a replacement for months. Kinda ridiculous you think they would have replacement cables for just these situations. They put me on a wait list for parts :(

I made a video of my experience with the display and its flickering at 4:18

Apple Studio Display Unboxing + Review

Last edited:

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I went into the apple store today and brought my thunderbolt cable. They said they don’t have any parts in and don’t know when they would. So even if you wanted to return the entire display. You won’t get a replacement for months. Kinda ridiculous you think they would have replacement cables for just these situations. They put me on a wait list for parts :(

I made a video of my experience with the display and its flickering at 4:18

Apple Studio Display Unboxing + Review https://youtu.be/aMbD1SZFFio
Link doesn't appear to open on my system.. could be my adblocking but I don't think so.

Reactions: slicktor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.